The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default 2015 Taylor 314ce neck adjust?

I just got a crazy deal on a new 2015 Taylor from a big retail store. The action is higher than my 6 series and I want to adjust it.

I contacted Taylor this morning they said all their necks are bolt on and it probably just needs an adjustment. I'm aware that out of the box the setup is sometimes just as it left the factory, other times (in my case) it need to be adjusted to play ideal.

Question is, is the bolt neck adjust something I could do myself or should I take it to someone?

I'd say if it is a neck adjust, it needs to move up (just a guess) half an inch or a little less? its a slight adjustment to bring the neck closer to the strings. The body seems to be fine, no bridge lifting or top sinking. Neck seems to be right also. The gap just seems to be bigger than a truss rod adjustment, and the Taylor rep went right to neck adjust making it seem its a common thing.

Any suggestions? Is it something that is fairly simple to do?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Half an inch??? How high is the action? Normally minor action adjustment only requires sanding the bottom of the saddle a little.
Martin LX1
Epiphone Broadway
Gamboa Charango
Ovation Classical model 1116
Fender Strat
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 PM

Most neck adjustments are covered under warranty, but low actions need to be paid for.

No you really cant do it yourself.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 PM

Exclamation New Guitar?

If this thing is new, guarantee cards in hand, OP is the registered owner, find a Taylor warrantee center/tech and ask that the setup be measured/tested/confirmed as within specifications. And Taylor uses proprietary shims to set neck angle. Ten minutes, a few bolts. I suggest not touching the guitar but at a Taylor approved service facility using Taylor procedures. I urge the owner to attempt nothing until that happens. Taylors ain't for chopping and sanding on.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

So much unclear information......

OK, first the neck adjustment does not move the neck up and down - at all. It changes the angle of the neck.

Second, half inch is about five times as much action as you should have and mathematically impossible since that is a good approximation of height above the soundboard.

Third, a truss rod adjustment does not affect action directly - it adjusts relief.

A copy of the umpteen million (plus one) posts about how to do a proper setup on a Taylor:

There are four different geometry factors at work here and you need to consider all of them (in the proper order)

Neck angle - for example, when it's dead flat and aligned to the top of the bridge
Neck relief - when fretted at 1 & 15, .006" clearance is seen at fret 7
Nut slot height - how high the strings are above the fret at 0/1
Saddle height - how high the strings are above the fret at 12

Don't measure action at 12 until you've accounted for the previous three items

The shims are proprietary but if you know what you are doing Taylor might provide them to you. You can also make your own shims.

Here are some white papers on Taylor neck adjustments

Given the confusion, I strongly recommend you register your new guitar and take it to a Taylor authorized shop to be checked out.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-30-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The shims are proprietary but if you know what you are doing Taylor might provide them to you. You can also make your own shims.
Taylor will only provide shims to authorized factory trained and authorized techs.

You could possibly make your own but they will never have the precision of the cnc made taylor ones.

Best to have the instrument seen by a certified tech, warranty or not.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
Taylor will only provide shims to authorized factory trained and authorized techs.
However, I have found that Taylor is extremely helpful and supportive if you simply discuss it with them. I’m not sure if there is an official policy or if it’s a discretionary decision. After I explained what I was doing, my understanding of the NT neck system, my repair qualifications and my acknowledgement that I accept responsibility for my results, they sent me a full set of shims - free of charge. On two separate occasions.

Again, I cannot speak for Taylor. My experience does not even remotely guarantee yours. I am simply saying that they are very supportive and reasonable but probably have good reasons to make each decision, on a case-by-case basis.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 AM

Sounds like there's something going on beyond a normal setup.

has the guitar been properly stored or climate controlled? What is the climate like where you are?

Google Wet Guitar, this will take you to Taylors web site where the discussion on humidity and dryness will be outlined.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post

You could possibly make your own but they will never have the precision of the cnc made taylor ones.

Best to have the instrument seen by a certified tech, warranty or not.
it is possible to get shims from taylor. I know personally of a few people to get them from customer service. i have never did a neck reset but would have no problem doing adjustment on a taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair