The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 AM

Jim Grainger's shop (Custom Fretted Instruments) in Sparta, Tn. can do a wonderful job. They have done repairs and restorations for years. I saw a 1926 Martin 00-18K that they restored from a wreck and it was superb.

http://www.customfret.com
Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 AM

The relevant pictures ...

Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM

I'm surprised you didn't snap your line pulling it off the lake bottom

Isnt this a project not even worth the labor put into it, unless you did it yourself?

I just did a nylon wall hanger that was no where near that bad but still unplayable, and it took 3 weeks to make it a joy to play.
Mako early 80's strat copy.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-Wanabe View Post
So can it be restored guys?
Yes, anything's repairable with enough money. The question is always, is it worth it?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-Wanabe View Post

This is a really beautiful set of BRW, these spiderwebs looks almost like ziricote o.o. I've seen a lot of pieces of figured BRW with my provider (www.ronay.com.br) and none looked as beautiful.

On the other hands, you'll need to see how the back and sides are, by the small pictures you posted, seems like the guitar took in humidity inside and that can damage the wood (including the BRW) permanently.

Some times it's not worth it to repair a broken instrument because it'll never shine as beautiful as it is intended.

On the other hands, it could also sound stunning. But only a repair luthier can tell you that, therefore, I recommend you to look for a luthier that has a work shop close to your house and bring it to him personaly. He'll tell better whether or not the repair is viable. Sending it away without talking in person with the luthier could result in nothing but more harm to the instrument (due to the handling of the instrument during the shipping).
Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Looks like it has had work. The lower bout stain implies a trapize. Then there is an attached bridge. Was any other work done to it in the past that may make it tougher to restore?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair