The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-28-2015, 11:21 PM

Default Ripples on the soundboard that extend under the bridge?

Should I be overly concerned with the gaps between the flat bottom of the bridge and the rippled top of this Guild MK 5? The guitar is otherwise in very fine to excellent condition with the exception of some very sharp fret ends.

I've read that the ripples are due to the telegraphing of the top braces and are not a concern on a lightly built classical, but the gaps under the bridge(which extend to about 3 mm) are perturbing.

Would greatly appreciate opinions and observations. Please let me know if more pictures would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM

I'd first look underneath the bridge to see if there is a bridge bar or not. Also to make sure the top is not peeling from the fan braces.

Worst case scenario - glue up a few braces and remove and re glue the bridge.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
I'd first look underneath the bridge to see if there is a bridge bar or not. Also to make sure the top is not peeling from the fan braces.

Worst case scenario - glue up a few braces and remove and re glue the bridge.
Everything is secure underneath. Wondering how a top that has "ripples" could not produce gaps under a flat bottomed bridge?

Last edited by xilef regnu; 09-30-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 AM

It isn't unusual on a lightly built classical guitar top to see the fan braces telegraph through the top and have some light rippling of the surface.

My guess is that the guitar has seen excessive heat, causing the glue holding the bridge to partially detach before re-solidifying. What your photo shows is not "normal".

As long as the bridge glue joint is stable, it isn't anything about which you need to be concerned. If it bothers you, or isn't stable (i.e. is getting worse), as Ned stated, remove the bridge, prepare surfaces and re-glue and everything should be fine. This isn't a do-it-yourself job for most people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair