The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-29-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone know iPad?

I have an iPad Air 2, new 11/1/2014 and also an iPad Pro, new 4/1/2016, so, the iPad Pro is seven years old. Does anyone know if the microphone(s) are any better on the latest models? I think latest has M2 chip. I would use it for general use but also for recording guitar/vocal demos. I get pretty decent demo quality out of the iPad Pro mic(s). Nothing wrong with better quality!

Other hardware available to me for recording my demos...

Zoom H4N
HP Win11 laptop, 64GB RAM, 2TB solid state HD, touchscreen
Spire recording gizmo

Wondering if anyone knows the question above about the latest and greatest iPad Pro.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I have an iPad Air 2, new 11/1/2014 and also an iPad Pro, new 4/1/2016, so, the iPad Pro is seven years old. Does anyone know if the microphone(s) are any better on the latest models? I think latest has M2 chip. I would use it for general use but also for recording guitar/vocal demos. I get pretty decent demo quality out of the iPad Pro mic(s). Nothing wrong with better quality!

Zoom H4N
Spire recording gizmo

Wondering if anyone knows the question above about the latest and greatest iPad Pro.
We have and manage dozens of them but don't really watch mic specs so closely. Our media production staff generally use external mics.

There is a MacTracker app I pay for that has a lot of detail spec info and I think they have some free access. Those vintage might be at or approaching end of life support and that app helps with that. Our MDM only looks at the end of life for main software releases.

The Pro iPads are definitely a niche product. The tablet format is nice for some work flows, but others want a general purpose computer. Something to keep in mind is a MacBook or iMac with M processor will run your iPad apps too. No rights or wrongs, just lots of ways to do stuff. I like running iPad apps on a MacBook more than spending a lot of money beyond basic iPads.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:45 AM

If you can work with the Spire you have, the built in mic is decent and you can attach other mics to it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-29-2023, 02:17 PM

I wish I could answer the question directly. All I can contribute is that I just upgraded a 2016 iPad Air 2 to the the 2023 version, and everything about it is better.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Zoom H4N
Spire recording gizmo

Mine is from 2019 (iPad Pro 9.7"). The mics are better in the later models, but I think they optimize them for voice mostly.
I get much better guitar recording fidelity by plugging in a condenser iOS mic. I wouldn't expect that the very latest iPads would be any different, i.e. the mics are great for general use, but probably still fall short of external gear such as Zooms and the like for recording musical instruments.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Funny to come across this. I’ve never had an iPad until yesterday, and, coincidentally, this is the first AGF session I’ve used it on.

Microphone? I didn’t even know there is one on it. Mine is called iPad (9th generation). Where’s the mic?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-30-2023, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Zoom H4N
Spire recording gizmo

Call a few third party iPad repair places and ask them for the part/model no. for the mics in the various iPads.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Funny to come across this. I’ve never had an iPad until yesterday, and, coincidentally, this is the first AGF session I’ve used it on.

Microphone? I didn’t even know there is one on it. Mine is called iPad (9th generation). Where’s the mic?
You probably have 2 mics, one by the camera lens and another on the top edge. They are easy to miss because they are just a small hole, maybe 1/16" in diameter.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Zoom H4N
Spire recording gizmo

Call me jaded but I would not waste my time trying to get a better iPad mic IMO the level of improvement in onboard mic is not going to be worth the time or money
If I wanted to improve the sound of an iPad recording I would at least look into one of the better USB type mic's that will plug into an iPad
Or just use your Spire or the Zoom

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Can't help with the iPad mics, but I've recorded with the mic on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and with my Spire Studio. The Spire gives better results. Or, if you want to record video at the same time and have the camera (iPad) away from you with the mic up close, consider a Shure MV88+ that will plug into your iPad. I use one with my iPhone for quick recordings. Works great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD