The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Default New Guitar Day: Ed Claxton EMc Brazilian/German

Well, it feels like it’s been a long time coming, but I seem to have very much stumbled onto a beautiful, lifetime guitar. It’s been a winding road, and I count myself fortunate to be playing a guitar right now with a huge smile on my face.

TL;DR: I received on trail a 2016 Ed Claxton EMc in Brazilian rosewood and German spruce today, and after playing my fingers dead over a few sessions, plus taking some time to throw together very quick iPhone videos, have informed Ed that yes, he will have to pry this guitar from my dead hands.

Pictures, iPhone videos, and eventually fully produced high-quality videos are all to follow.

The longer version: After moving on from my Traugott, I began to look around. I spent more time than I’d care to admit taking with a new friend, Brian Truesby (usb_chord), who has helped me be pretty rational about how to not end up in the same situation again: an expensive unknown commission in my hands with years of expectation and almost no chance for enjoyment.

Brian really urged me to find a guitar “that exists in the world” to try, if not several. Get it, play it, love it or leave it. No commissions, no hoping it will work out, etc., etc. I think this was good advice, mores given my particular track record.

I looked at a number of builders via Luthier’s Collection and Dream Guitars, as well as Eric Schoenberg’s shop. I even flirted briefly with vintage Martins, but decided the difficultly in finding and verifying a good one was greater than I wanted.

One guitar that jumped out after weeks of searching was a used Claxton EM at a store in California. The price was actually crazy (not good, but almost suspiciously low), the woods were typically immaculate, and it looked like it really might be a lifetime guitar. I was also looking closely at a few other options, such as a McConnell and a Circa. (I still have my eye on a Circa. John amazes me in a lot of ways.)

After some deliberating and lots of texts, I actually asked (via email) Doug Young to check out the Claxton. He did and reported back very positive things… plus just being generous with his time in the first place. I have a greater appreciation for Doug being just an overall good human being because of this experience.

I was ready to have the store ship me the guitar, but at the last minute, thought I’d call Ed himself and see if he remembered the older guitar… it had new tuners and I was hopeful that Ed might have installed them and therefore have had more recent contact with the instrument.

I emailed Ed through his site and he called back the next morning. Over the course of about 30 minutes, I quite simply fell in love with the man. In a totally different way than Jason Kostal–another favorite luthier–Ed completely endeared himself to me. He’s humble, funny, was at the time a bit tired from perhaps drinking too much the night before… I just instantly connected with him.

In any case, he was incredibly frank with me, remembered the guitar, and didn’t feel it was his best work. He actually deterred me from purchasing it! I was stunned. He seemed to genuinely want any guitar with his name on it to be his best, and I got the feeling that if he could make that one disappear, he would. In any case, that was sort of it… he apologized, but insisted that he wanted a Claxton that showed up in my lap to be representative of his best work.

Weird huh? To dissuade me from a sale? Now, if you’re thinking it’s because he had another instrument to sell me, you’re partly right. He DID have an instrument available (kinda), but he didn’t mention it. He didn’t hint at it, he didn’t subtly suggest it… he just told me his feelings about the older Claxton, laughed some more, and we got ready to hang up. I was bummed, severely, because I really thought I was onto something.

Then I asked him one key question, and I’m so glad I did!

By the way, we all know that I've been down roads like this before, and that only time will tell. About that, hopefully, 'nuff said.

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Congrats!!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Sweet, I have a Claxton and totally LOVE it... Ed's the Koolest...🎯 Congrats
Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 AM

Just to add a plus-one to what a delight Ed Claxton is. A truly wonderful person. His instruments too. Your experience with Ed's being a fair critic of his own guitars is not unusual in my experience. He is completely objective and also has definite tastes among wood choices, German/Brazilian being one of the top two or three. I don't think there is a better modern instrument out there.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
By the way, we all know that I've been down roads like this before, and that only time will tell.
You've had some astonishing guitars pass through your hands, some of which have lasted mere moments, so do excuse us if there is more than a tinge of doubt here.

However, I will say this. I have played 5 Claxton guitars and every single one has been nothing short of absolutely incredible. By that I mean some of the very best guitars I've ever played, ever. I don't know of any other builder who is so consistantly brilliant, at least to my ears. A few others can build fabulous guitars but I've heard a bit more variation between individual examples. Tonally and response wise, Claxton reminds me of Traugott for less than 50% of the price. Even then, I've been unable to afford one (but more on that for another thread).

One of the crazy things about Ed's guitars to my mind is that they all sound very similar irrespective of what he builds them from. I've tried examples in mahogany, ebony, walnut, brazilian...all have been unbelievable and have the same sonic character and response, despite variations in wood, and even size. A brazilian malabar I played this year has perhaps the best trebles I've ever heard on a guitar. The guitar in the thread linked below was a million miles ahead of any other mahogany guitar I've ever played when I came to try it for myself:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=claxton

Good luck with this one Brett. Irrespective of the outcome, I know that is a world-leading guitar. Play it to death.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 AM

I'm after one and there are a few around at reasonable prices, I am however now concerned at the remarks made in Brett's post about the older one for sale, does this apply to all older Claxton's ?
Is there some point in which a change was made to the design, and best go for a post revision ?

Best Regards Anthony
Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Then I asked him one key question, and I’m so glad I did!
It wasn't even a question, honestly.

"Man, I wish you had something on your bench available now!"

So I suppose conspiracy theorists would suppose this was what Ed had been waiting for. He'd set me up, spent half an hour telling me to not buy an available guitar, mentioned nothing about any other instruments, laughed, and then been on the verge of hanging up. But his Machiavellian plot had finally come to fruition!

Or maybe he's just a humble guy.

Anyway, Ed softly replied, "Well, I do have an EMc in Brazilian that I've built for the SBAIC."

Umm, come again?

And we were off. To make a longish story a little shorter, and get to the media sooner, I'll say that this launched a flurry of phone calls and emails back and forth. Ed had an EMc he had just built–it had been strung up but not completed–for SBAIC, and really wasn't looking to sell it before the show. I cajoled, flattered, sent long emails, and got him to send me photos.

These then came to my inbox:

Ed kept apologizing because he had just shot these himself in the shop. (You can see his stunning blue towel underneath, ha!)

Anyway, the guitar seemed utterly perfect to me, and I happened to have a healthy guitar fund (see previous threads).

So I began to gently push and ultimately do my best to persuade Ed that it was worth letting me try out the EMc before he took it to SBAIC. "Wouldn't a sale take the pressure off of you at the show? Wouldn't that be great?"

Ultimately, Ed acquiesced, I wired him the cash, and he stayed up very late finishing the guitar to get it out yesterday (Friday, September 3). It had to head my way in an older Cedar Creek case because the Main Stage case that it will ultimately live in hadn't arrived yet.

We agreed that I'd try out the guitar and send it back before SBAIC either way; to either be shown at Ed's booth as a sold piece, or to let him clean it up and sell it as new if I didn't care for it.

Well, let's just say I cared for it!

Later today, video of my first impressions in (nearly) real time.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Good choice. Eds' guitars are top quality all the way and it doesn't surprise me that he sent one to you on a trial basis. He knows, as well as everyone who owns one, that it isn't coming back. Living in the same area I was a regular visitor to his long time shop, not only to stop by and shoot the s#%€, but more importantly to let our dogs romp in the parking lot or the occasional swim at the local pond. Watching Ed build, the quality of craftsmanship and pride that went into every instrument, really humbled me. When I finally was ready to buy one of his guitars, he not only let me take one home to try, he sent me home with 3 to choose the one I wanted. After selecting the one I wanted Ed named her Eight Belles after the filly that lost to Big Brown in the Kentuky Derby.
Ed is a class act and possibly the best hands on craftsman I have ever met. Congrats on you guitar and I am looking forward to your review and seeing more pictures.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I'm after one and there are a few around at reasonable prices, I am however now concerned at the remarks made in Brett's post about the older one for sale, does this apply to all older Claxton's ?
Is there some point in which a change was made to the design, and best go for a post revision ?
Hi Anthony-

My first suggestion would be to call Ed. He's such a pleasure to talk to, and as my post has proven, is an incredibly straight shooter.

Second, I do not get the impression that Ed thinks that about all his older guitars. He mentioned two specific guitars to me that he knew the provenance of, and both had been sold and resold multiple times, and both did not represent what he wanted out of an instrument. I believe that both are available (one was, as it led me to Ed in the first place) from guitar stores.

I would say that other than those two, he seemed quite confident in his work, old and new. I think that if you find a specific instrument, it's worth asking Ed about it, but I certainly didn't get the sense this was in any way his attempt to sell only newer instruments.

I'd also mention that Doug Young auditioned the guitar I didn't buy and actually liked it! He said if it'd had a cutaway that he'd probably have bought it on the spot. Still, it didn't meet Ed's own criteria, and I can frankly say I get it: the guitar that arrived at my house is remarkable, and I can say without exaggeration that my left hand is sore as I type right now from all the playing yesterday and this morning.

So that said, Anthony, even a pro like Doug Young considers Ed's "rejects" (I'm being a bit over the top there) as great guitars he'd be happy to own!

But more on the guitar shortly...

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Anthony and I hope my answering doesn't step on Brett's toes here. I have had the opportunity to play several of Eds guitars since 2005 or so and for a couple of years played listened to or played probably 75-80% of the guitars the went out of his shop. Eds guitars are very, very consistent in quality of build and tone. That is the one thing that has always amazed me. His German/Brazilian guitars may have some subtle differences, but to most ears they are going to sound the same. Mahogany or Koa, same thing. One of my favorites his German/Maple Malabars same thing. I have seen Ed keep a few guitars for himself and remember one Malabar that was slightly dinged after buffing that he sanded down and refinished. He kept that one for himself as he felt it would only handle silk and steels. After several years if I remember right Doug Young bought it after playing it in Eds shop several times.
To answer your question Anthony. After seeing what Ed claims was one of his first guitars, there were some changes. Of course his first guitars were made some 40 years ago. Every one that I have watched him build 10 years ago is the same as the ones he is building today. Same design, same sound. Of course with an used one you also have to factor in how much it has been played and how well it was cared for.
Good Luck in your hunt.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new purchase Brett. I own one of Ed's EMCs in German/ Brazilian, and believe it to be one of the finest guitars that I own. I believe you may have played it when you came out to my place. I have also stated quite regularly whenever I do interviews that Ed is one of two luthiers that inspired me to want to build guitars after playing one of his instruments. I cannot say enough good things about him, and his guitars, and will always revere him and his instruments in a very special place within my own heart. They are incredibly responsive, and insanely consistent as SteveH pointed out. I, too, have played guitars that he has made out of almost every material available and I always walk away feeling very impressed. I hope that this is a keeper for you, and think you chose very well!

Jason
Old 09-04-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkostal View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase Brett. I own one of Ed's EMCs in German/ Brazilian, and believe it to be one of the finest guitars that I own. I believe you may have played it when you came out to my place. I have also stated quite regularly whenever I do interviews that Ed is one of two luthiers that inspired me to want to build guitars after playing one of his instruments. I cannot say enough good things about him, and his guitars, and will always revere him and his instruments in a very special place within my own heart. They are incredibly responsive, and insanely consistent as SteveH pointed out. I, too, have played guitars that he has made out of almost every material available and I always walk away feeling very impressed. I hope that this is a keeper for you, and think you chose very well!

Jason
You are such a class act, man. Luthiers like you and Ed and a few others are what keep guys like me--who really should be spending our money on college funds and cars and "responsible things"--placing custom orders :-)

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Specs

Some specifications:

Ed Claxton EMc
Old Growth Flitch-Matched Brazilian Rosewood back and sides
German Spruce top
Venetian Cutaway
New radial-cut Brazilian Rosewood rosette
Old Growth highly figured Brazilian Rosewood bridge
Ebony bridge pins
Antique gold Gotoh 510 tuners with ebony buttons

Scale Length: 25-3/8 inches
Nut Width: 1-25/32 inches
String Spacing: 2-3/8 inches
(I LOVE these specs for but width and string spacing. I may never order a guitar different from this again!)

Body Length: 19-1/2 inches
Lower Bout Width: 15-9/16 inches
Upper Bout Width: 11-3/16 inches
Depth: 4-3/8 inches at the tail block

Killer all around...

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I've played exactly 2 Claxtons and both were over the top amazing. Let me know when you decide to sell this one!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 PM

Lovely looking guitar. I have always been intrigued by Claxton guitars and I consider the German spruce/brazilian Claxton EM-C with the pernamcumbo Aztec-like rosette to be probably the most classically-lovely looking acoustic guitar design that exists out there. As well, there's not a single negative comment ever made about the tone of any Claxton guitar AFAIK on the web and Ed Claxton is certainly a master luthier having built for decades.

Brett, how does the Claxton sound like especially by comparison with the Traugott R that you were enthused by previously and with the BK as well? What caused you to like this EM-C more than the BK? Claxtons have often been said to sound very much like Traugotts, and they certainly look very much alike!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop