The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-28-2023, 07:55 PM

My personal opinion is anything I do (or don't do) in any pursuit (skiing, cycling, hiking, playing any one of my varied stringed instruments, carpentry, etc.) without understanding why I do or don't do it is a bad, unconscious habit. Or voodoo, superstition, obstinance, etc.

A lot of smart and talented people have spent a lot of time developing and teaching technique, yet here we are, a bunch of self-mistaught amateurs thinking we know better.

Why would I purposely choose to remain ignorant of a tool or technique? Why would I purposely erect roadblocks to my own development as a musician? It's like Barre chords. I mastered them years ago. Yet I find them clunky and a lot less musical than the open chord inversions up the neck I learned later. So I now choose not to use them. I'm still better off for learning them anyway.

There's the recurring subject of permanent beginners I write about now and then. There are some who truly don't want to learn new things.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:03 PM

I started out on acoustic guitar late 90’s to learn fingerpicking. I guess I was lucky. The books I had on Travis style picking were all geared to thumb, index, middle and ring. Still play that way today rarely thinking about which finger to use. Sometimes it’s just thumb, index and middle. Depends on what’s needed. I have seen a lot of guitarists like you who do not use their index. I think in some cases they improvised fingerstyle while still using a pick?

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

Last edited by mike o; 12-29-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

If we all played correctly, whatever that is, then we'd all sound the same.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-31-2023, 10:58 AM

John Prine only used his thumb and index finger, and he sounded great. I say use what works for you. If NOT using your index finger is limiting you, then work on using that finger. But if you are satisfied with your playing without using the index finger, then don't worry about how others play.

This is similar to the discussion about electric guitar players that don't use a pick. It's "non-standard" but there have been (and still are) a LOT of great electric guitar players that play without a pick.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:36 PM

If you can teach yourself good habits today you wont be stuck with bad habits tomorrow.

Maybe it is a bad habit, maybe not. Theres something to be said about what is good form. Which fingers you use on the fretting hand to play a run or anchor a chord can free you up to do more/faster. Surely the same applies to the picking hand

I play an alternating bassline fingerstyle with mostly my middle / ring finger. I never could anchor my pinky. I will use index from time to time but imo theres something wrong with my index finger (injury? probably work related) so its not as spry and I usually avoid using it.
Palm muting is something i wish I could do but doing it with middle/ring finger seems impossible and honestly between my bum index finger and general lack of self discipline i've don't know that i'll ever. Ah well, not my style i guess

Happy picking
Old 01-05-2024, 10:54 PM

It’s all good. Keep at it. The only bad thing you could do is stop playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodegard Rippy View Post
If you can teach yourself good habits today you wont be stuck with bad habits tomorrow.

Maybe it is a bad habit, maybe not. Theres something to be said about what is good form. Which fingers you use on the fretting hand to play a run or anchor a chord can free you up to do more/faster. Surely the same applies to the picking hand

I play an alternating bassline fingerstyle with mostly my middle / ring finger. I never could anchor my pinky. I will use index from time to time but imo theres something wrong with my index finger (injury? probably work related) so its not as spry and I usually avoid using it.
Palm muting is something i wish I could do but doing it with middle/ring finger seems impossible and honestly between my bum index finger and general lack of self discipline i've don't know that i'll ever. Ah well, not my style i guess

Happy picking

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write