The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Favorite Strings on RainSong CH series

Curious to know if any of you have settled on a favorite string set for the RainSong CH-line of guitars?

More specifically, the CH-OM "Shorty" in particular?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats on your decision, D. I can't answer you, but am just wondering if the CH-OM is the matte finish one without any adornments. If so, that's a RS I'd like to try sometime.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Congrats on your decision, D. I can't answer you, but am just wondering if the CH-OM is the matte finish one without any adornments. If so, that's a RS I'd like to try sometime.
Thanks Tommy! It is this one:

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....oustic-om.html

Rainsong CH-OM1100NS Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model, 12-fret neck (without electronics)

Full specs are as follows:

OM Orchestra Model Body
NS 12-Fret Neck
Unidirectional Soundboard
Hybrid Back and Sides
Black Rosette
Tusq bridge pins
High gloss Top
Satin Back & Sides
Depth at end-pin: 4 1/8 inches
Lower bout: 15.25 inches
Body Length: 19.5 inches
Neck width at nut: 1.75 inches
Scale length: 24.9 inches
Tuning machines: Black Gotoh 18:1
Electronics: None
Hardshell case

Last edited by DHart; 08-16-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I've tried several different string manufacturers on my Shorty, but always come back to the Elixirs.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Thanks Tommy! It is this one:

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....oustic-om.html

Rainsong CH-OM1100NS Concert Hybrid Ochestra Model (without electronics)

Full specs are as follows:

OM Ochestra Model Body
NS 12-Fret Neck
Unidirectional Soundboard
Hybrid Back and Sides
Black Rosette
Tusq bridge pins
High gloss Top
Satin Back & Sides
Depth at end-pin: 4 1/8 inches
Lower bout: 15.25 inches
Body Length: 19.5 inches
Neck width at nut: 1.75 inches
Scale length: 24.9 inches
Tuning machines: Black Gotoh 18:1
Electronics: None
Hardshell case
Thanks. I believe that is the one. I like the simplicity of it. Seems it is well-liked. The price is good too.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

On my WS, Elixirs work well, but so do TI Plectrums. Congrats on selecting the RS.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Nice buy indeed! Great all round players player... or something like that. Think Ill go have at mine.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 PM

I liked Elixirs on my OM28V as well, so I'll give them a try on the RainSong.

Anyone know what strings RainSong ships their guitars with?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
More specifically, the CH-OM "Shorty" in particular?
My Shorty is essentially a much fancier version of yours with the cool shark inlays and ablam rosette.

The stock 80/20 Elixirs I did not like, I'd call the sound "metalic".
I switched to EXP-16s, much better, but a bit dark sounding.

Ended up going back to Elixirs but PB instead of 80/20.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My Shorty is essentially a much fancier version of yours with the cool shark inlays and ablam rosette.

The stock 80/20 Elixirs I did not like, I'd call the sound "metalic".
I switched to EXP-16s, much better, but a bit dark sounding.

Ended up going back to Elixirs but PB instead of 80/20.
OK... so RainSong ships with 80/20 Elixirs. Good to know what's on it from the get go.

The PB Elixirs turned out to be just the ticket for you?

The top on the CH-OM is unidirectional carbon, with hybrid carbon & glass back and sides. Is that the same construction material on your Shorty?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 PM

Hey DHart. Please pardon my long lengthy post but I kinda geek out on this stuff

Since buying my Shorty back in August of 2014 I've gone through a lot of strings. It has been a fun experiment! I'm pretty much an expert here but this really is my opinion and I encourage everyone to try every string they feel compelled to regardless of the guitar- a fun cheap experiment really.

I play predominately fingerstyle but also strum with my fingers. I've also recently begun training with a thumbpick, and it is much more difficult than I could have ever imagined after playing fingerstyle for years LOL! So this new technique I'm learning has revealed to me that I need a string that has good flexibility but not too much. Since the Shorty is a short scale guitar anything you put on it will by default be a little floppier for this reason-especially when using light gauge. I found that I needed a string with enough resistance to give that nice thump when playing syncopated rhythms and when palm muting (think Tommy Emmanuel).

On top of this I need a string that has a nice warm tone for the folkier Americana sound I like. I've not generally found PB strings to fit this bill since they have a bit too much top end "sizzle". Great and powerful for strumming on the Shorty but not the best for fingerstyle.

I've tried 13 sets (all light gauge) in different alloys and from different makers since purchasing the guitar. I've recorded my thoughts in a Word document before changing strings that compared pricing, tone, playability, and, to a lesser extent, durability. I also made audio sketches after the strings broke in and named the files for future reference/comparisons. I generally don't like coated strings and I won't name the strings I didn't like to keep things positive but here are my top 5 favorites:

D'addario EFT 16 "Flat Tops"- nice mellow tone and low string squeak but are very "sticky" and caused considerable finger drag.

John Pearse Silk and Bronze- not your usual silk and steel. When new they have very nice tone like PB strings are known for but much softer feel. However, they lost projection and bass end tone fairly quickly and it was noticeable.

Newtone Double Wound- great tone and feel but are expensive, hard to find, and I had intonation issues with the low E staying in pitch

Martin SP Lifespan PB- These strings feel great and have some kind of coating but don't feel or sound like coated strings. Outstanding low end but a bit too much top end for fingerstyle. Good enough for my top 5 but not my favorite

Martin Retro- Now here we go

My favorite so far. On recording playback they sound brighter than I thought they would which surprised me, they don’t seem too bright when the guitar is sitting on my lap. So far these strings have the best playability hands down of any string I’ve tried. They are super easy to bend and barre chords are easier than ever- love that aspect of these strings. They also have fantastic sustain and hold intonation very well, and they do seem to have less sizzle than PB strings, Hard to explain, just a different kind of "bright"- more pleasant to my ears. The intonation is stable even in combination of alternate tunings, short scale, and light gauge. Winner!

Well DHart, there is my dos centavos- are you still awake ??

Good luck with whatever you choose but I'd definitely give Retros a shot and give a couple days to settle into their magical mellowness. They will only set you back like $7 too.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey DHart. Please pardon my long lengthy post but I kinda geek out on this stuff

Since buying my Shorty back in August of 2014 I've gone through a lot of strings. It has been a fun experiment! I'm pretty much an expert here but this really is my opinion and I encourage everyone to try every string they feel compelled to regardless of the guitar- a fun cheap experiment really.

I play predominately fingerstyle but also strum with my fingers. I've also recently begun training with a thumbpick, and it is much more difficult than I could have ever imagined after playing fingerstyle for years LOL! So this new technique I'm learning has revealed to me that I need a string that has good flexibility but not too much. Since the Shorty is a short scale guitar anything you put on it will by default be a little floppier for this reason-especially when using light gauge. I found that I needed a string with enough resistance to give that nice thump when playing syncopated rhythms and when palm muting (think Tommy Emmanuel).

On top of this I need a string that has a nice warm tone for the folkier Americana sound I like. I've not generally found PB strings to fit this bill since they have a bit too much top end "sizzle". Great and powerful for strumming on the Shorty but not the best for fingerstyle.

I've tried 13 sets (all light gauge) in different alloys and from different makers since purchasing the guitar. I've recorded my thoughts in a Word document before changing strings that compared pricing, tone, playability, and, to a lesser extent, durability. I also made audio sketches after the strings broke in and named the files for future reference/comparisons. I generally don't like coated strings and I won't name the strings I didn't like to keep things positive but here are my top 5 favorites:

D'addario EFT 16 "Flat Tops"- nice mellow tone and low string squeak but are very "sticky" and caused considerable finger drag.

John Pearse Silk and Bronze- not your usual silk and steel. When new they have very nice tone like PB strings are known for but much softer feel. However, they lost projection and bass end tone fairly quickly and it was noticeable.

Newtone Double Wound- great tone and feel but are expensive, hard to find, and I had intonation issues with the low E staying in pitch

Martin SP Lifespan PB- These strings feel great and have some kind of coating but don't feel or sound like coated strings. Outstanding low end but a bit too much top end for fingerstyle. Good enough for my top 5 but not my favorite

Martin Retro- Now here we go

My favorite so far. On recording playback they sound brighter than I thought they would which surprised me, they don’t seem too bright when the guitar is sitting on my lap. So far these strings have the best playability hands down of any string I’ve tried. They are super easy to bend and barre chords are easier than ever- love that aspect of these strings. They also have fantastic sustain and hold intonation very well, and they do seem to have less sizzle than PB strings, Hard to explain, just a different kind of "bright"- more pleasant to my ears. The intonation is stable even in combination of alternate tunings, short scale, and light gauge. Winner!

Well DHart, there is my dos centavos- are you still awake ??

Good luck with whatever you choose but I'd definitely give Retros a shot and give a couple days to settle into their magical mellowness. They will only set you back like $7 too.
Sean... I vividly remember listening to a clip of yours some time ago and really enjoyed (and was impressed) by what you were playing and how you played! So, I'm really listening to you!

Thank you for the detailed reply. No, it wasn't too lengthy at all. Just impressively informative.

I've been a picker (Dunlop heavy Jazz pick) for my entire playing experience. (Long story short, I played electric guitar heavily in my 20's and taught guitar in a music store during that decade - then stopped playing altogether in 1980 or so, for about 30 years, until about 2010. Since then, I've enjoyed getting back into playing immensely.)

Today, I'm a happily retired commercial photographer and beginning work on developing my finger-style playing, hence the interest in acoustic instruments (I have well over a dozen various electric guitars, most of which are in limbo now as I focus on finger style playing on acoustic instruments). Shifting from flat picking to finger-style is almost like learning to play all over again (this time with all of the emphasis on what the fingers of my right hand are doing. My heavy Dunlop Jazz flat picks are set aside for now.)

So, when it comes to acoustic instruments and strings for such, I'm focusing on finger style and I don't have much in the way of nails to speak of on my right hand. My right hand fingertips need to grab hold of strings and pull on them with some force to achieve the desired effect. I've never been one to have long fingernails at all, so I'm somewhat resigned to doing finger style with my finger tips. For these reasons, having a responsive top on the guitar and having strings with some "zing" to them are sort of required.

Thus, what will I order forthwith? Some Monels will certainly be in the shopping cart, along with some Elixir PB, some EXP16, and some D'Addario Nickle Bronze.

Thanks for the input and your inspiring playing.

Last edited by DHart; 08-17-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Good stuff Mr. Vibe... ill try those Martins as I am all about just finger playing ...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Gotta give the Martin Retros kudos here as well on my APLE Shorty they are really good sounding but I changed over to SantaCruz parabolic low tension and they are Stellar on the guitar!! Had a set on now for almost 2 months and I play a Lot!! Been to guitar camp and one festival and all temps and they are really a good string for CF Imo.......
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Sean... I vividly remember listening to a clip of yours some time ago and really enjoyed (and was impressed) by what you were playing and how you played! So, I'm really listening to you!....

So, when it comes to acoustic instruments and strings for such, I'm focusing on finger style and I don't have much in the way of nails to speak of on my right hand. My right hand fingertips need to grab hold of strings and pull on them with some force to achieve the desired effect. I've never been one to have long fingernails at all, so I'm somewhat resigned to doing finger style with my finger tips. For these reasons, having a responsive top on the guitar and having strings with some "zing" to them are sort of required.
Thanks for the compliments DHart! Very encouraging. I have a day job and a family to look after so I don't get the playing time I need to be an even better player. I do treat it as a serious hobby though.

Like you, I played electric guitar initially. However, I took a liking to fingerstyle early on. Even when my interests were in rock I found myself learning acoustic fingerstyle found in rock music (Page, Rhoads, Bratta, Sambora, etc.). When I discovered all the great modern fingerstyle players (too many to mention that I love and listen to) i became transfixed.

The CH OM will be very responsive to whatever strings you put on it. As far as having enough zing will be up to your ears but I can tell you that I don't do well with nails either. I have to keep mine at about 1/16" with my thumb nail a bit longer or I will break them at work. I can't afford to take my chances with acrylics. I did purchase a Wolfram crystal file per suggestions on the forum and absolutely love it. It has a lifetime guarantee unless you break it.

Since we both love Tommy Emmanuel I thought you might find it interesting that he too can't grow nails. You can goolag a picture of his fretting hand though. He has got some mean calluses! He also doesn't seem to have issues with tone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber