The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2024, 06:49 PM

I was fairly open to new Martin models, and was actually excited for the new MD models.
The local dealer had a few in stock, so I visited and tried them out. At that point I hadn't realized my neck preference; I'd purchased a number of expensive custom shop Martins with MLO necks and sold them all. If any had had thicker necks they would still be around.

So I'd heard the MDs have a variation of the 30's neck, I was excited. I didn't realize that specific neck was even thinner than the MLO, and offset to be a touch thicker at the bass side, thinner at the treble. Total no-go.

But, sound trumps all, so I played numerous models. But still I had to reject them. I do understand why some might really like them, though.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-31-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
They are only the oldest continuously operating company in the United States, 200 years + now? I'm not so sure they will just disappear or get 'left behind.'
For clarity:
Martin is the OLDEST guitar company in the U.S. (and the world), being 191 years old (founded in 1833), but they are not the oldest continuously operating company in the U.S.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
For clarity:
Martin is the OLDEST guitar company in the U.S. (and the world), being 191 years old (founded in 1833), but they are not the oldest continuously operating company in the U.S.
Not to mention that it's being the "oldest guitar company" is more or less irrelevant to the concept of it possibly being "left behind" in the market place.
Which is not the same as going out of business.
And of course Martin has been steadily loosing market share since the late 1960's with Yamaha introducing a lower price point alternative and then even more significantly starting in the late 1990's with Taylor

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-02-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Will Martin's modern deluxe's stand the test of time?
I think in the shorter term, the expansion of the MD lineup and the general popularity of them shows that they will be around for at least long enough to become an established line in the Martin catalog.

To me, the MD line is something of a follow-up to the discontinued Golden Era and Marquis lines, a niche between the Standard Series and the Authentics.

It's hard to say what will happen, but what I can say is that my D-42 Modern Deluxe is at the top, the cream of the crop, in terms of the best-sounding guitars I've ever owned or played. Every time I pick it up, I'm wowed by it.

For guitars with a lush, modern sound, it's hard to beat a Modern Deluxe. I think the closest thing is probably going to come from Goodall or Collings, but my D-42 has more of the bass-heavy Martin tone than those two are typically known for. People have said the MD is a cross between Goodall and Martin, and I think that's apt.

If you're looking for a dry, vintage tone, the MD isn't the place to shop; you're better off with a Martin Authentic, a Preston Thompson, a Pre-War, a Merrill, that kind of thing.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:12 PM

I just recently got my 000-28 MD. I added a Schatten Passive pickup to it. I love this thing! About the only negative I have towards it, is the Liquidmetal pins. Which in itself, is not really the guitar I suppose. They're not bad, I just dont know if they are worth it. I bought a set of Bone pins from Colosi and they seat more flush and sound a little better to my ears.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
Look at the d-18 since 2012, I wouldn’t buy anything before!
I would not buy anything after. So there you go.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-03-2024, 01:44 PM

The MD's are a very good development by Martin for me ... deeply unmoved generally by their "classic", "vintage ", "traditional", "standard" instruments... lumpy necks and a sound to match all too often (to my ears and fingers)

It's not my favourite guitar, but a D-28 MD plays OK and has a sound worth adding to the mix sometimes...
Old 04-03-2024, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Will Martin's Modern Deluxe stand the test of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
Or will they become a bit of a weird phase in Martin's history?

FWIW, I played the D18MD and it did sound great IMHO...
The bigger picture is... will anything or anybody stand the test of time. The way things are going I'm having doubts. Sorry I wish I was more cheerful but I always get a bit down on Wednesdays for some odd reason. Maybe because tomorrow is garbage day and I mustn't forget. There is just so much pressure in modern life.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I played one once at Guitar Center ...

Anywho... I thought it was cool and they all seem to weigh
less than four pounds...

You can see the weight of the ones for sale at Sweetwater. There's
a thread about typical d-18 weights across the range of years and
less than four pounds is pretty light for a d-18...

-Mike
Old 04-03-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
The bigger picture is... will anything or anybody stand the test of time. The way things are going I'm having doubts.
I'm with you there. Feels like Shelly was about 200 years early.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
No thing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
— Percy Shelley, "Ozymandias", 1819
And guitars are even more fleeting, much less the people who play them and the notes they play. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Back on topic, I picked up my D-42 MD tonight and it is truly wonderful to just sit on the couch and play with my ways closed, lost in its sound. Really a great instrument.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
I'm with you there. Feels like Shelly was about 200 years early.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
No thing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
— Percy Shelley, "Ozymandias", 1819
And guitars are even more fleeting, much less the people who play them and the notes they play. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Back on topic, I picked up my D-42 MD tonight and it is truly wonderful to just sit on the couch and play with my ways closed, lost in its sound. Really a great instrument.
A D-42 MD sounds like it would be an excellent instrument. I certainly have no regrets about buying a 000 28 MD a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the poem in your post. I only know one poem by heart and I believe it was written by the writer Ken Follett. It's somewhat appropriate to our discussion.
The Lark caught in a hunters net sang sweeter then than ever
As if the falling melody might wing and net desever
At dusk the hunter took his prey, the Lark his freedom never
For birds and men must surely die but a song may live forever

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion