The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 AM

Default John Pearse Brass KingPins on a 6 series

has anyone tried these pins on their guitar, more specifically a 6 series, even more specifically a 614. I'm looking to change out the ebony pins with something better.

I was looking at Bob Colossi's pins and the brass pins and wanted any opinions on these two pins.
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat Royal Blue Finish

Worship
"a response to the revelation of God"
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 AM

Check these out on my 814!! Their Bob's FWI pins. What a look on the guitar, and the sound, well, more volume and a little low end. You would not be disappointed. I love 'em

Old 02-24-2005, 08:30 AM

Here they are!! Bob's FWI Pins!!!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:16 AM

With due respect to those who have swtiched to other pins and especially to Bob Colosi, I think wood is the best pin material for a Taylor. In my experience, every other pin material currently in use will produce a brighter tone than wood, and to my ear that's the last thing a Taylor needs. If you want to explore other options, that's cool, but don't be surprised if the original ebony pins turn out to be the best.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM

Add me to the list of people who like the original pins. I think the guitar comes in optimal configuration for acoustic sound and I did not make any changes (i.e., did not swap out) to the saddle, bridge or pins. I changed the tuners for personal preference reasons and adjusted the action at the nut and bridge for my playing style.

Now ES sound - that's another matter. I have not explored this since I seldom use ES nowadays.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, I've made bone saddles and have installed bone bridgepins on all of my 6 string Taylors and have been more than happy with the results. There's more separation, improved sustain and just overall better sound/tone with these changes . . . I've made the same changes on my other acoustics as well with the same results.

I've also tried the brass bridgepins on several guitars and don't like the tone they produce at all. They do add sustain, but they also add way too much brightness.
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion