The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Default Build Thread, Michaud Made (Jan 2016)

Hi everyone, I'm getting a guitar made by Joel Michaud. Approximate completion is next January or February.
Obviously we have time to make changes, and it will probably be a lot different than what I am imagining now. By for now, some of our specs are as follows;

Model- OM-R
Scoop style cutaway
Manzer wedge
1 11/16 nut, similar neck to a Taylor (it's what I learned on and what I am most comfortable with)
Top wood is Redwood Sinker
Back and sides are Walnut

Hope the pictures appear, first time I am trying to add pics

For some of the personal touches, we are going to make a small logo on the headstock that is a blend of my kids initials. Kind of almost looks like a music note. But hopefully in a similar wood so it isn't too 'blingy' We both like the clean look.
My wife is an art teacher/artist and has a cat logo that she signs her work with. Joel is going to burn it on the inside of the body, so when I am playing I can look into the sound port and see her, but it won't be visible to anyone else. (his idea and I love it)

I know these small things will lower any possible re-sale value, but I have zero intentions of selling it. I plan on playing it until I die and giving it to one of my kids.

Also a thank you to a lot of the members here who have given me a lot of great advice, especially Marcus, Tom, Nick...sorry if I'm forgetting someone!

Last edited by Brendan688; 02-01-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM

That wood combination's going to look fantastic! Looking forward to watching this progress, Joel's work is first rate

Those personal touches will really make it yours... resale be ****ed!

Jon
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM

+1 on the woods. I am glad you got it all squared away, that Taylor seems like the distant past now right?

I would think that will have a beautiful warm, full bodied sound with the walnut and sinker top.

Congrats.

Tom
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM

Brendan, I see you've decided on the walnut back and sides! Those are probably the nicest redwood and walnut I've ever seen... Gorgeous. Can't wait to see this build come into completion. Might be a while but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Default Build Thread, Michaud Made (Jan 2016)

Yes, my wife printed all the sets so we could put the tops with the body. They were all really nice on their own, but I liked the look of the walnut the best. Joel also recommended walnut for the tone. He sent pics of his sets, but that one really stood out to me. I like the grain and flame figure. (I think that's what it is called!) looks almost tiger stripped.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 AM

Hahaha that's a smart thing to do. I agree that this set of walnut looks spectacular and I'm not a fan of walnut usually! I would have picked walnut or koa as well to go with your tonal goals with the redwood top. Have fun with the build up to the actual build Working with Joel has been an eye opening experience and I am actually sad to see it coming to an end soon!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 PM

Joel is building me one as well. A 14 Fret OOr with a scooped cut-a-way and a Manzer wedge. I did not choose the same woods but Sinker Redwood and Walnut is one of my all time favorite combinations of wood. This is going to be a great guitar.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Joel is building me one as well. A 14 Fret OOr with a scooped cut-a-way and a Manzer wedge. I did not choose the same woods but Sinker Redwood and Walnut is one of my all time favorite combinations of wood. This is going to be a great guitar.
Will you be posting a build thread for it Jay??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop