The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Default monitors... whew...

So my Dynaudio BM5a monitors blew.. well, one of them anyway. So I pulled out my old KRK monitors and wow... what a difference. They are so mushy and less precise.

My BM5a just got back all fixed up... ahhhhhhh!!!

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I was taught/told that monitors (in a recording studio situation) are quite important. I didn't believe it at first but eventually came to agree with this based on my own experience.

Dynaudio monitors are rather nice. I used a pair of BM6p for many years. I enjoyed them.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM

I'd say the whole monitoring chain, and the room, is about as important as it gets. I'd rather use a less than stellar front end, while being able to accurately monitor what I'm doing, as opposed to having a world class front end but a poor monitoring setup.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-13-2015, 08:14 AM

If you can't hear accurately what has been recorded, you can't mix accurately. Decent monitors and an acoustically-treated room. Then learn your system by listening to commercially-released music similar to the sound you want.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 02-16-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Just got my new monitors today and know exactly what Psalad is talking about.

I up graded from my KRK V8's which were OK at best, to Amphion One 18's with Amphions Amp 100, which are in precise technical terms............. WOW "freakin amazing" like pulling a thick quilt out of the way................

the balance of frequencies , detail, clarity, clear and defined placement in soundstage both left and right and forward and back is pretty remarkable.

The bad news is I am going to have to back through and check all my mixes.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Amphion One 18's with Amphions Amp 100, which are in precise technical terms............. WOW "freakin amazing" like pulling a thick quilt out of the way.......
Never heard of those... were they available somewhere for you to try? There are so many in that price range that seem amazing, how did you know where to start and how did you end up with them?

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
Never heard of those... were they available somewhere for you to try? There are so many in that price range that seem amazing, how did you know where to start and how did you end up with them?
Interesting story sort of . I had been researching to upgrade for about 2 years but had not made any decisions. Figuring on trying to find a final monitor solution.
So in that process I had gone and listened (usually unfortunately in different shops and different times ) to the usual suspects Dynaudio, Focal, Genelec, Neumann, PSI, Adam, etc as well as some of the more pricer esoteric companies Barefoot, PMC et.al.

Also last year started following a thread On GearSlutz , titled "Nearfield Monitors" which after many many pages in, started mentioning Amphion's.
Then this thread specifally about Amphion started in August. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...beautiful.html
Followed it through NAMM where it was announced that they were setting up a few dealers in the US and then I happen to call my nearest Pro Audio shop in Boulder Colorado and they said they were actually in the process of becoming a dealer. So finally two weeks ago they got them in and after mixing on them in their dedicated studio room they actually decided to sell their Focal SM 9's and replace them with Amphion. I went and listened and brought home the One 18's and Amp 100.
Amphion is a relatively small co. made in Finland and gained a reputation in the audiophile world as a highend product at a mid level price point. Their design had all the attributes that pro audio was looking for so they started making studio monitors in 2013 I believe.

Any way I plan on doing some more mixing and doing a complete review thread with pictures etc probably by next week.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting story sort of . I had been researching to upgrade for about 2 years but had not made any decisions. Figuring on trying to find a final monitor solution.
So in that process I had gone and listened (usually unfortunately in different shops and different times ) to the usual suspects Dynaudio, Focal, Genelec, Neumann, PSI, Adam, etc as well as some of the more pricer esoteric companies Barefoot, PMC et.al.

Also last year started following a thread On GearSlutz , titled "Nearfield Monitors" which after many many pages in, started mentioning Amphion's.
Then this thread specifally about Amphion started in August. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...beautiful.html
Followed it through NAMM where it was announced that they were setting up a few dealers in the US and then I happen to call my nearest Pro Audio shop in Boulder Colorado and they said they were actually in the process of becoming a dealer. So finally two weeks ago they got them in and after mixing on them in their dedicated studio room they actually decided to sell their Focal SM 9's and replace them with Amphion. I went and listened and brought home the One 18's and Amp 100.
Amphion is a relatively small co. made in Finland and gained a reputation in the audiophile world as a highend product at a mid level price point. Their design had all the attributes that pro audio was looking for so they started making studio monitors in 2013 I believe.

Any way I plan on doing some more mixing and doing a complete review thread with pictures etc probably by next week.
I'll be eagerly watching for your thread, KevWind!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 AM

Default Helo with monitoring

Hello,

I'd like You to help me with monitoring advice, since I don't know much about them I need to buy them.

We're acoustic band of three, including acoustic guitar, cajon, and lead singer

Our gear consists of:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x...f293f956ba8678

and

2 of http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_play_15a.htm

I'd like to be able to set volumes of each part of band individualy if possible.

Our budget is lets say total of 300 € , since only 2 of us have money at the moment.

Any advice is more than welcome. Since I'm from Croatia, I don't have much options regarding choice so please try to focus on thomann or similar pages

Thank You in forwards,
Best regards
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM

You posted this in a thread about monitors for recording -mixng, what you are looking for is info on monitors for live playing, so maybe a moderator will move this over to the acoustic amplification section of the forum.

The behringer mixer has 4 'sub groups' so should be able to provide you with individual monitor mixes, if that's what you are looking for.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-24-2015, 04:39 PM

thx, and sorry for mistake

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD