The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Default ATS broadband absorbers

Planning on doing some work in my home studio, to tame some of these reflections. I'm not really a do it yourselfer, especially dealing with Owens Corning 703, etc.., fiberglass. Anyone have experience with the ATS panels? They seem reasonably priced...
thanks!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Planning on doing some work in my home studio, to tame some of these reflections. I'm not really a do it yourselfer, especially dealing with Owens Corning 703, etc.., fiberglass. Anyone have experience with the ATS panels? They seem reasonably priced...
thanks!
I have some and they are exactly what you'd expect. I don't think there really is any major difference between the manufacturers. They all use either 703 or Roxul I think and they seem to measure almost the same.

I personally just had a saved search on my local Craigslist for a bunch of terms and phrases related to acoustic treatment and had several show up, many of which I bought. Some ATS, some other brands. I also bought some from Amazon, where I had some gift certificate money. I ended up being able to equip my entire studio for a lot less money. I ended up with just two colors, black and a beige color which I have arranged so the mix looks great.

I have corner traps almost floor to ceiling in all four corners, some 6" wall panels, and the rest 4"... If you are doing any mixing I would skip the 2" panels as they are much less useful.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I have fourteen ATS panels on the walls and the ceiling. 2' X 4' X 4" on the walls and 2' X 4' X 2" on the ceilings. They work well and actually don't look bad (their color closely matches the walls and ceiling).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Thanks Psalad and Rick,

They certainly seem reasonable. I think I might put my foot in the water and buy a couple to get started. I will go with the 4" as per your reco. Thanks this board is a great resource.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 AM

The ATS pre-made traps are very nice. I bought my insulation from ATS and made my own fr less than half the cost.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD