The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Pickup recommendation for D-18GE

Just recently added my dream guitar, the GLORIOUS D-18 Golden Era to my arsenal. I am trying to get input as to pickup systems for it. I have a D16RGT with an Anthem in it which I like but is not perfect. I want to be as least invasive as possible with this gem. I am currently considering the pure mini and the Baggs M80.

Don't like the look of the M80 but like the preamp or passive function and the volume control, plus it is highly regarded. The pure mini is idiot proof and also highly regarded but is less versatile. I really want to get this right the first time. I am open to other suggestions. Can anyone chime in with real world gig experience. Thanks all...
Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM

I have the JJB which is the same as a Pure Mini in my D18. I like it
If you choose that type of pickup, go with a preamp if you are planning on playing into a sound system with other musicians. JMHO.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I just put a Pure Mini in my new D-18. It's sounding real nice, and working quite well live with my band. We are all on in-ears, so the feedback that I've heard can be an issue with SBT's in full band situations, is never, ever an issue in my context. I play it through an Avalon U5, and then on to the board.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Default Pickup recommendation for D-18GE

The GE has a glued in long saddle. And, you stated that you do like the look of a soundhole pickup. So, your best bets are one of the sound board transducer systems:

K&K
JBB
UltraTonic
Trance Amulet
Dazzo

Of those choices, my recommendation for a Martin D-18 GE would be a passive K&K with an outboard preamp like the Fishman Platinum. You can also look at getting a ToneDexter pedal to go with the K&K.

If you must absolutely have an onboard preamp you can consider one of the K&K options. Or, a Trance would be my next choice. I have no experience with Dazzo, but I would not consider and epoxy pickup installation for a high end instrument.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-23-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 PM

My Podium custom D-18 has the passive KK. Nothing more. Then straight into a nice DI/preamp box. I like the results and I like the simplicity!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The GE has a glued in long saddle and you do not want a soundhole pickup. So, your best bets are one of the sound board transducer systems:
Seems everyone is onboard with the KK. That's would be fine with me. But I am curious why did you say I don't want a soundhole PU because of the long saddle? How does that have anything to do with the soundhole Baggs M80. I have played a different Martin with one in it and it sounded pretty **** good. Other than drilling the endpin hole out to fit the Jack it will leave no trace if I take it out also.

Not fuel for fire I just want some feedback to understand the situation better.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The GE has a glued in long saddle and you do not want a soundhole pickup. So, your best bets are one of the sound board transducer systems:

K&K
JBB
UltraTonic
Trance Amulet
Dazzo

Of those choices, my recommendation for a Martin D-18 GE would be a passive K&K with an outboard preamp like the Fishman Platinum. You can also look at getting a ToneDexter pedal to go with the K&K.

If you must absolutely have an onboard preamp you can consider one of the K&K options. Or, a Trance would be my next choice. I have no experience with Dazzo, but I would not consider and epoxy pickup installation for a high end instrument.
As fate would have it, I just made a demo of my Martin Outlaw (Hog/Adi dread) tonight with K&K through Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp into a Bose L1 compact. Have a listen. I am thrilled.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-22-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonemonster58 View Post
Seems everyone is onboard with the KK. That's would be fine with me. But I am curious why did you say I don't want a soundhole PU because of the long saddle? How does that have anything to do with the soundhole Baggs M80. I have played a different Martin with one in it and it sounded pretty **** good. Other than drilling the endpin hole out to fit the Jack it will leave no trace if I take it out also.

Not fuel for fire I just want some feedback to understand the situation better.
I think what he mean't is that with a glued in saddle, it would be difficult to install a UST type pickup. If your not fond of sound hole pickups, then SBT's that he gave examples of, are about your only choice other than an internal mic.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
I think what he mean't is that with a glued in saddle, it would be difficult to install a UST type pickup. If your not fond of sound hole pickups, then SBT's that he gave examples of, are about your only choice other than an internal mic.

Correct. I went back and edited my post. I should have been more clear. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM

I use the Fishman Platinum Pro with my JJB and the results are also excellent.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 AM

I have a K&K in my D-18GE, and use K&K's preamp. Sounds great. I also have a Baggs M1A (not M80) that is my "go to" in loud stage situations.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tonemaster!

* I know I'm in the minority here, but for straight plug n play I prefer the M80 and it's features that:
1. requires no external boxes/preamps going into amplifier
2. no semi-permanent attachment to bridgeplate
3. has on-board volume in active mode
4. active/passive ability
5. battery indicator & long lasting small wafer battery
6. does not affect unplugged tone & is easily removable without slacking or removing strings which keeps the guitar, especially a dream guitar like the GE, the least unaltered save the endpin jack.
7. I happen to like the ivory look & lite weight
8. feedback resistant
9. I prefer the percussive capabilities & warm tone once balanced & dialed in.

** I do like the K&K and it was my second choice, but I truly wanted to keep this guitar organic so to speak in the way that I could remove the pickup in minutes. I had an M1A in my Lowden and liked it and the M80 is even better imo.

*** Tonally I think that the 4-6 strings on the M80 and K&K are close in sounding as "natural" as can be expected as they both have a warm & full low end. However, I think the K&K sounds better on the 1-2 strings as that's where you here most of the "magnetic" tone on the M80. So after weighing the advantages of each, I went with the M80 despite the slightly better tone on the high end of the K&K. The mag tone tho can be tamed considerably with a Boss AD-2 or Body Rez, but then you are adding an external box which is fine if you prefer.

**** My buddy just put in a K&K in his new awesome D-35, sounds great, but he can't play too loud like I do without some feedback tendancies, plus he plays sitting down, sets his amp volume and he's done. Me on the other hand, I play at higher volumes and run around the stage and need the on-board volume. So either would work fine, just depends on your needs and application.

***** Gary's video's are always helpful and his K&K sounds really good in that Outlaw with the Plat-Pro, and he's a set it & forget it performer like my friend and his D-35, I'm the opposite! LOL!! BTW Gary, the headplate on your Outlaw is sooooooooooobeautiful!

This my D-18/M80 set up at gig at venue I'm playing tonite; plug n play and I like the look of the M80, but that's just me:

...and here's how it sounds thru Loudbox with just a touch of the amps' reverb; I think it sounds lovely. Rec with just a lil' Canon camera:

Finally, ya can't go wrong with either and hopefully once you assess what your needs and applications are and the pros & tone of each system, you can make an informative decision. All good advice thus far from our fellowship here, best wishes!

eric
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hi Tonemaster!

* I know I'm in the minority here, but for straight plug n play I prefer the M80 and it's features that:
1. requires no external boxes/preamps going into amplifier
2. no semi-permanent attachment to bridgeplate
3. has on-board volume in active mode
4. active/passive ability
5. battery indicator & long lasting small wafer battery
6. does not affect unplugged tone & is easily removable without slacking or removing strings which keeps the guitar, especially a dream guitar like the GE, the least unaltered save the endpin jack.
7. I happen to like the ivory look & lite weight
8. feedback resistant
9. I prefer the percussive capabilities & warm tone once balanced & dialed in.

** I do like the K&K and it was my second choice, but I truly wanted to keep this guitar organic so to speak in the way that I could remove the pickup in minutes. I had an M1A in my Lowden and liked it and the M80 is even better imo.

*** Tonally I think that the 4-6 strings on the M80 and K&K are close in sounding as "natural" as can be expected as they both have a warm & full low end. However, I think the K&K sounds better on the 1-2 strings as that's where you here most of the "magnetic" tone on the M80. So after weighing the advantages of each, I went with the M80 despite the slightly better tone on the high end of the K&K. The mag tone tho can be tamed considerably with a Boss AD-2 or Body Rez, but then you are adding an external box which is fine if you prefer.

**** My buddy just put in a K&K in his new awesome D-35, sounds great, but he can't play too loud like I do without some feedback tendancies, plus he plays sitting down, sets his amp volume and he's done. Me on the other hand, I play at higher volumes and run around the stage and need the on-board volume. So either would work fine, just depends on your needs and application.

***** Gary's video's are always helpful and his K&K sounds really good in that Outlaw with the Plat-Pro, and he's a set it & forget it performer like my friend and his D-35, I'm the opposite! LOL!! BTW Gary, the headplate on your Outlaw is sooooooooooobeautiful!

This my D-18/M80 set up at gig at venue I'm playing tonite; plug n play and I like the look of the M80, but that's just me:

...and here's how it sounds thru Loudbox with just a touch of the amps' reverb; I think it sounds lovely. Rec with just a lil' Canon camera:

Finally, ya can't go wrong with either and hopefully once you assess what your needs and applications are and the pros & tone of each system, you can make an informative decision. All good advice thus far from our fellowship here, best wishes!

eric

Awesome tone dude.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Awesome tone dude.
Eric (Noledog) has an incredibly musical touch and talent! I agree he makes the M80 sound great.

Pick your poison (as they say).

The options mentioned in this thread are all capable of professional level musicality. I am betting the D-18GE is wonderful, so I understand the methodical approach to choose the best option.

If I lived in Eric's (Noledog) home town, I'd go see him play whenever I could. (I'd steel his arrangements too. hehe ... and take some fingerstyle lessons from him!) Mad props my friend.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Awesome tone dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Eric (Noledog) has an incredibly musical touch and talent! I agree he makes the M80 sound great.

Pick your poison (as they say).

The options mentioned in this thread are all capable of professional level musicality. I am betting the D-18GE is wonderful, so I understand the methodical approach to choose the best option.

If I lived in Eric's (Noledog) home town, I'd go see him play whenever I could. (I'd steel his arrangements too. hehe ... and take some fingerstyle lessons from him!) Mad props my friend.
Thank you Jamie & Gary ...if ya'll lived here, you'd be on stage ja'mon with me! > two 18's and an Outlaw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification