The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Yes. Volume, treble and bass wheels. Go online to Sunnaudio.com and you will see a pic.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I can see how I would come off as a sales pitch. I guess it is as I'd like more people to be happy with the sound of their guitars. A friend was having Dazzos put in two guitars, and since I had finished a repair on a Danelectro for him, it was convenient for me to drop it off, so I was just at his workshop.

Teddy has two on board pre amp options, volume only, and tone and volume. Both have the thumb wheels attached to the underside of the sound hole.I haven't heard either yet. I don't think he is using MiSi anymore as he has made something he likes better.

Since I have so many Dazzo equipped guitars, I'd be more inclined to use an out board pre amp when it becomes available, but since it will be so specifically impedance matched to Dazzos, doubt it will be a one sized fits all box with huge market potential. Sort of like his pickups. Teddy has a narrow focus regarding what he is doing.

Basically the installation is not rocket science, and Teddy has done so many guitars he is usually right in his recommendations. He will also talk to any tech directly. That I am four exits down the freeway from his shop is certainly a huge advantage for me that I take advantage of.

It's analogous to having a favorite pizza joint. It's so good, but I'm sure I might find better, but why would I want to eat a dozen lesser pizzas to find it, hence I eat the same great pizza over and over.

I realize most don't geek out on tone, but it kills me to listen to someone who is not aware ALL piezos need a proper impedance match to sound good, and a lot of K&K owners just read up, jump on the bandwagon and have them installed, and their techs never tell them it is just half the equation. Once again, K&Ks can sound very good, are a great value, but need help.

But their owners are often asking the sound guy to roll off the harsh highs they hear through their monitors. I'm about to buy two pres to use at an open mic for just these folks because I can't stand the loss of potential.

And don't get me started on all the undersaddle pickups through cheap onboard electrics put into $300 guitars.

Jaded? You bet I am. LOL
Thanks for the clarification! I am kind of on the fence when it comes to pickups. I too hate the sound of an undersaddle in a very expensive guitar. It still boggles my mind that guys like John Mayer and Eric Clapton, who play a lot of acoustic tunes, don't at least run their guitars through the aura spectrum. I guess there's something to be said about consistency but I am sure they could even rig up a set up where the monitors are primarily the Matrix UST (assuming they like that tone) but the front of the house is getting the aura.

With that said, I guess my frustration comes more from the experimentation phase that has left me disappointed and out of money lol. I have tried the Anthem SL, Lyric, Aura Spectrum, Amulet M etc and been disappointed by all of them. The Aura was probably the only one that sounded consistently good. I guess that's why I wanted to get a lot of information about Dazzo pickups before taking the plunge. I do wonder if they will really produce a better result than the Amulet?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
That’s great news Br1ck. He is very excited about the new preamps. My onboard version is in the mail.
I assume this is an add on to your existing passive Dazzo? If so, does it seem difficult to wire the battery/volume & tone control to the output jack? I only ask because I think this set up is great but I am hesitant to spend more on the sunnaudio internal preamp before knowing if I like the Dazzo. I liked with the Amulet M that all I had to do was snap the VT module into the output jack when I decided to try it.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Well, I've been very happy with the Dazzos into my RedEye. I'm not buying six onboard preamps, that's for sure. I have yet to hear a Sunnaudio onboard pre. I played a stand alone prototype. Sounded great.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Well, I've been very happy with the Dazzos into my RedEye. I'm not buying six onboard preamps, that's for sure. I have yet to hear a Sunnaudio onboard pre. I played a stand alone prototype. Sounded great.
I think overall, the Sunnaudio preamps are probably very good but I own a Grace Design Felix so I will probably just go for the passive version. Having tone and volume controls is very nice but I can live without them.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing your Grace product works OK. LOL They make premium products.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM

I of course am going to try the preamp. I have a few guitars that I can at least try it out on one of them.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 PM

I have been chatting with Teddy. He's very responsive but I still do feel as though the whole ordering process is made difficult by the website. I don't really like ordering a product and not having a for sure confirmation that I am getting exactly what I asked for. I will get there but it has meant a few emails to straighten it all out.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 PM

New website is much improved. I've been meaning to order for a while. Glad I waited, the new line driver looks like a great way to go.

Last edited by TNO; 03-08-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 PM

I have the Sunnaudio prototype on-board line driver. It has a volume wheel. Teddy soldered a end pen jack to it so I can test it in any guitar I wanted. It's not for permanent install I would have to remove the jack wire and solder my Dazzo wire ends to the preamp jack.

I really like the sound of it. It smooths out the highs, fattens up the girth of the notes in general and rolls off some of the really low bass to tighten it up a bit. I will most likely order a couple of the on board versions that have the volume, bass and Treble wheels.

I still like the Red Eye too. I also have a Grace Alix that works wonders on the Dazzo too with of course a lot of control of your sound. I can see having the on-board Sunnaudio to have fingertip control over volume, treble, and bass, then into either one of my preamps as a DI. They all compliment the Dazzo very well. By design, I do like what the Sunnaudio line driver does for the Dazzo.

The Sunnaudio I think will be a viable product for any pickup. It is being developed with the Dazzo in mind but I can't say how it works with other pickup brands. I am looking forward to trying what they come up with.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Groberts,
We offer our TD-1 Tone Driver preamp with Vol / Treble / Bass control and a battery clip.
We have a new run of of the TD-s now available and have some of the new stage DI's almost ready. The DI's will come with the TD circuit along with more features. More info to come on all the new updates.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Does the onboard version has soundhole Vol/Tone? I am guessing an internal battery pouch as well?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi Groberts,
We offer our TD-1 Tone Driver preamp with Vol / Treble / Bass control and a battery clip.
We have a new run of of the TD-s now available and have some of the new stage DI's almost ready. The DI's will come with the TD circuit along with more features. More info to come on all the new updates.

Marc
Thanks Marc!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-26-2018, 05:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sunnaudio Stage DI's now in production!

Hi Everyone, I'm pleased to announce that we are now in production for our Stage DI's.

Many have emailed us with questions regarding compatibility with different pickups.
The Stage DI can be used with most pickups and many configurations including magnetic pickups - We have provisions to optimally 'voice' a transducer and cable combination. Sunnaudio can separately manipulate the AC and DC input impedance to smooth out or dampen the sound to suit a particular instrument and setup or playing style. We can also offer custom impedance's for piezo film transducers. This unique low noise input also eliminates pops and clicks when used with muting types of cables (eg, Planet Waves) and connectors (eg, Neutrik Silent Plug).

Our DI is lightweight, just fits in a center compartment of a hard shell case, has over 100 hours of battery life with automatic phantom powering from the XLR connector. The Stage DI has tremendous dynamics and headroom, and of course, our signature sound.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by sunnaudio; 05-01-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Look forward to getting mine Marc.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Dazzo with the Tonedexter? I know Doug Young commented on trying this set up and not particularly liking it but I am still considering a Dazzo/TD set up. I have the Amulet M now and it's okay but if I could go passive, that would be great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification