The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Schertler parts, repairs, or schematics?

Last night while playing, my Schertler Unico Classic died on me - The power switch still glows red, and I have checked both the external fuse in the power input plug as well as the 2 internal fuses I could find on the primary circuit board. All good, still no joy.

I talked to an amp repair person locally, and he's willing to take a look at it, but he wisely advised me to check into whether I would be able to get any parts for it - boards or transformer - in case it starts to get time consuming tracing out a component problem. Schertler seems to have no US presence at all anymore, and the couple of dealers I found have not returned calls -

Anyone got a lead on parts, or a wiring schematic, or ideas on common or known problems I could check for myself?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM

Have you considered calling Schertler tech support, they would likely have a few things for you to check and and diagnostic algorithm to follow. It’s likely one of the Schertler dealers like Shoreline could direct you to Schertler’s USA or Euro tech support.

Last edited by sage1; 02-23-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 AM

You also have to consider the cost of repair vs purchasing a replacement current model amp. Repair techs services can be costly even if you can find repair parts and what happens if it dies again?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
You also have to consider the cost of repair vs purchasing a replacement current model amp. Repair techs services can be costly even if you can find repair parts and what happens if it dies again?
Yeah - Its a shame, cause these are $1000+ amps, but even if it is the best sounding and generally most reliable piece of kit made, if it even breaks once and you cant find any manuals, parts, or service, then why would anyone risk buying anything from the line? They used to be well represented in the US, but I am getting the impression that they are not well represented now - maybe orphanned -
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 AM

Call Schertler, they will be able to direct you to people who are authorized to work on them. Check the speaker, they can die suddenly...
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Great news this AM - Schertler sent schematics so I can get a local amp shop to take a quick look and maybe troubleshoot this problem more easily -

Longer story - I did reach out to the “local” authorized repair shop. They seem like an outstanding repair shop, but they wanted me to ship the amp to them, and within 2 weeks they would give me a free estimate for repair. Really excellent, other than the shipping costs to send the unit back and forth from N Cal to S Cal, plus potential shipping damage. There are a few SF area amp shops with great reps, including one very local to me in Berkeley, and while I’ll have to pay for a wee bit of tech time to have them check it out, its just so much easier to drive 10 minutes and drop off this 40lbs cabinet, especially with the excellent service from Schertler sending the schematics.

I dont think its the speaker(s) - seems to me like its a power supply/transformer problem, since I’m getting no indication of power on the controls (there are a variety of blue LEDs to indicate phantom power, etc, none of which light) but the main switch is glowing red, so I know powers going in. Hopefully I’ll have good news in a day or two!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Default Unico

Sorry to hear that. I have the same amp and it is a great match for my nylon string guitar. I would buy another one without hesitation.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James74 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I have the same amp and it is a great match for my nylon string guitar. I would buy another one without hesitation.
I have the Shertler David Deluxe and the same thing happened recently. No fix yet.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Just as an update, my local shop said it would be at least 2 weeks until they could check it out, so now I’m thinking its probably easier to send it to LA to the official repair shop and have them check it out and get it fixed, since a dead amp is about the most useless thing imaginable.

But I’m in no rush - found another Jam 150 locally, solves all my problems, and I can use it with my existing Jam 150 as the extension speaker I’d tried to find before, and gives me much more flexibility (and redundancy!) than I could have hoped for. And eventually, when the Unico is fixed, I may just end up selling it -
Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 AM

Hello,

is this still actualy? Maybe i can Help. I have many electric Parts for Music Gear older too. I can Repair this maybe for lower Price.

Greetings
Stefan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification