The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

That is a great looking guitar, Jimmy! Could use a Felix the Cat or two on it... or NOT.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
That is a great looking guitar, Jimmy! Could use a Felix the Cat or two on it... or NOT.
You not seein' the Felix in Jimmy's X10 , Jim ?

Keep staring at it ... Now I know it's there, I can't see anything else !
Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
You not seein' the Felix in Jimmy's X10 , Jim ?

Keep staring at it ... Now I know it's there, I can't see anything else !
Yeah - now I see it...

Figured I should do it before Kramster.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I will have to save the URL for this thread the next time a Martin fan goes on about "class and tradition."
So are you suggesting that Martin is lacking class, and tradition because they built the Felix series? Also, since you posted your snarky comments in response to my story, it kind of feels like you're making fun of a gift my wife gave me.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 AM

There is something very intimate and accessible about the X7 - with its lack of sharp edges, it's almost organic in a way my wood guitars can't match. I just traded an electric for a custom Martin glossy 000-15m, but find that I'm still playing the X7 more.

But, then I've always preferred the feel of a smaller acoustic; for years, I played a Tacoma EM9 (little jumbo) in preference to a DR12 Dread. Since most of my acoustic playing is either solo or duet (accompanying my or another voice) I don't need a cannon, and this - combined with the greater comfort and intimacy of a smaller acoustic just plain works better for me.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Guest 928

Jim, are you saying that cats are infra-dig? That's pretty insulting stuff--you know there are cat owners on this site. For shame.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
So are you suggesting that Martin is lacking class, and tradition because they built the Felix series? Also, since you posted your snarky comments in response to my story, it kind of feels like you're making fun of a gift my wife gave me.
Wow! Not at all. I have no doubt you both enjoyed that gift. Martin has a long history in the guitar world. I'll probably tick someone else off by saying this, but when I think Martin, I think "traditional." Those Felix guitars are certainly not traditional.

Frankly, they look like a toy to me, but my opinion of that guitar should not diminish your enjoyment it in ANY way. I thought it was a cute story; I re-read what I wrote: I don't find anything snarky. It seems like I have said or done something along the way that makes you want to find a reason to lash out. Having bought guitars from you in the past, I have recommended you to others. That gets harder to do with this kind of behavior.

Why don't we keep the discussion to the guitars that we all enjoy and allow each other to have opinions without going out of the way to be offended?

Jim
Old 09-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Wow! Not at all. I have no doubt you both enjoyed that gift. Martin has a long history in the guitar world. I'll probably tick someone else off by saying this, but when I think Martin, I think "traditional." Those Felix guitars are certainly not traditional.
Maybe not traditional, but they do look cool, at least they do to the 3000 people like Helene who bought one. And you know what, they sound pretty darn good.

Quote:
..Frankly, they look like a toy to me, but my opinion of that guitar should not diminish your enjoyment it in ANY way.
With the graphics they do look a little like toys, I suppose. What's wrong with that?

Quote:
..I thought it was a cute story; I re-read what I wrote: I don't find anything snarky. It seems like I have said or done something along the way that makes you want to find a reason to lash out. Having bought guitars from you in the past, I have recommended you to others. That gets harder to do with this kind of behavior.
Jim, your posts here have sent more people my way than you realize, and for that I thank you.

Quote:
..Why don't we keep the discussion to the guitars that we all enjoy and allow each other to have opinions without going out of the way to be offended?

Jim
Yes, why don't we?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Ted,,chill, this sub forum is no longer the CF forum but the official Emerald forum and anyone that has interest in anything else is really not heard here any longer. This should just be a sub forum for that brand alone and another started for those of us who would like to just talk guitars, vs. endless promotion of one particular maker. This has gotten to the point I only stop by occasionally to see what's up, but before I even click on I know it's gonna be another drool fest over NGD again......give us a break! OK they are wonderful, but some of us play others and they are just as good.
If I get tossed for this, so be it, but man it's getting old!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Ted,,chill, this sub forum is no longer the CF forum but the official Emerald forum and anyone that has interest in anything else is really not heard here any longer. This should just be a sub forum for that brand alone and another started for those of us who would like to just talk guitars, vs. endless promotion of one particular maker. This has gotten to the point I only stop by occasionally to see what's up, but before I even click on I know it's gonna be another drool fest over NGD again......give us a break! OK they are wonderful, but some of us play others and they are just as good.
Well, pardon me for choosing an Emerald carbon fibre guitar, then compounding that folly by mentioning it on a carbon fibre guitar forum.

You've made me see the selfishness of my actions. I apologise.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
It isn't even a full moon!

Funny that you would post this on a thread titled "Question of the X7 owners..."

Last I checked, we could discuss anything carbon fiber (or e-Koa) here. Emerald is making some fine guitars. So are the other CF manufacturers. I've probably said this before, but discussion of one brand does NOT diminish the pride of ownership of another brand. Leave the "Taylor vs Martin" or "my guitar can beat up your guitar" discussions on the main forum.

Here's my take on it, as an enthusiastic Emerald owner: it doesn't matter to me which manufacturer sells the most... do we have to discuss guitars in some proportion to their market share?

I love to see NGD posts here. From ANY manufacturer. I enjoy the absolute pride and joy of those posts.

Having been playing guitar since 1964, I've owned a few over those years. Early on, I learned that there IS a difference, and a good guitar properly set-up makes playing more pleasurable. A few years ago, when I bought a GSmini, I discovered that a smaller guitar can be more comfortable. To get back to the topic of this thread, last year I bought an Emerald X7 and was absolutely blown away by the sound and the comfort.

Yes, the topic of this thread.

When I first got on this forum, it seemed like most of the discussion was about RainSong. I bought one. It is a nice guitar. It helped me appreciate the sound and feel of a 12-fret and a smaller body. Good tone. I like the sharks.

Fast forward a couple years, and there is more talk about Emerald here. I was intrigued. I ordered the X7. Again, keeping this ON TOPIC for this thread - who knew a guitar could be SO comfortable? I understand what I keep reading here: this guitar is something special.

Don't like NGD posts if they aren't about your favorite brand? Don't read the following... the folks at Emerald are smart and they understand the power of social media: they include a flash card with professional images of your guitar... right there in the guitar case or gig bag. What better way to share images of your new arrival?

After the new wears off, it is about the sound, look, and feel of the guitar. Each time I pick up the X7, I marvel at how it continues to impress. Then, the colors and the woodies - Emerald is doing things other manufacturers aren't. Building so they can make custom changes, like scale and neck profile. They simply are a step ahead.

"Look at this cool woody!"... "I like the red!"... "This guitar fits me like it was made for me!"... "I got a mug!"... "Still waiting for my custom"... "Did you see this month's Select Series??" There is always something to talk about.

So, Emerald gets talked about. This does not mean you can't start a thread about the guitar of your choice here. Try that instead of lamenting.

There isn't some "conspiracy" happening here. Emerald owners are excited about their purchases. It makes you want to share... photos, experiences. It is just silly to stay away from this sub-forum, regardless of your brand choice - there is so much collective knowledge here. We discuss strings, pics, pickups, even strap buttons - stuff that falls under "good to know" regardless of which guitar you own. Different shapes, sizes, and ergonomics. Center soundholes vs offset. Glossy vs satin or textured or...

I don't feel bad when I see a NGD day that isn't something I own - I am excited for that new owner. What brings us together here is the fact that a handful of manufacturers are offering the public guitars made from something besides wood... that fact alone makes this sub-forum "suspicious" to some. There is no reason to fragment it further by getting into that "my brand doesn't get talked about enough here" stuff. Talk about your guitar. Show us how you use it. Post some photos of it... apparently, we really like it if you also show your dog or cat with the guitar.

Think threads don't "wander"? Look at this thread: Emerald X7 in the title, but by post #7, Taylor and Martin were injected. Did it hurt this thread? Not one bit. Heck, enjoy the back and forth. You might even learn something about Emerald that makes you want to buy one.

Now, let me tell you all about my X7...

Last edited by Captain Jim; 09-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I think the "Felix" guitars are cool, it is surprising how much some of them and the "Western scenes" seem to go up in value. I am curious which one you got as a gift though Ted?? Nosey I guess. What a great gift for a guitar fella !

There is a lot of talk about Emerald here, and I see a lot of threads starting about Emerald that gets folks interested in CF guitars and they end up with a CA, Blackbird or Rainsong. It's all about the guitars, not matter the maker. I mean, how cool is that eKoa burst ! And the new line from RS. Great stuff...
Old 09-29-2017, 12:15 PM

In a thread specifically about the X7, the discussion seems to be mostly about anything but the X7? I came into this thread because I am interested in the X7.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
In a thread specifically about the X7, the discussion seems to be mostly about anything but the X7? I came into this thread because I am interested in the X7.
Sorry, we're all scared to mention X7s now ...
Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I think if you discuss them, you end up buying one! At least, I did...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber