The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:14 PM

The plant continuing on the body is really nice! Looks great on the Braz!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackl View Post
The plant continuing on the body is really nice! Looks great on the Braz!
Thanks my friend,

Appreciate it.

I think it's going to be an outstanding guitar from tone to aesthetics!

Stuart
Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

French polish has not been applied to the back and sides, the second coat I believe, and this pic gives you perspective on the florentine cutaway. Jordan does a great job on the body. It's deep body, and it's got a lot of base as result.

Here is a shot of the back and lower bout. Jordan is extremely down to earth to deal with and I'm looking forward - soon - to some pictures of the finished product and - receiving the finished guitar. I think we are pretty close. Although the Canadian winter could slow delivery. We'll see.

Last edited by stuartb; 01-22-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ever since I first heard of Jordan McConnell guitars, via the Dream Guitars website, I've been a fan. His guitars are beautiful and elegant, and they have that instantly recognizable charisma and holy-grail tone, that only a true Master can create. It's no wonder Jordan has risen to the upper echelons so quickly.
He's a heck of a great player too.
Well done, Jordan!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Ever since I first heard of Jordan McConnell guitars, via the Dream Guitars website, I've been a fan. His guitars are beautiful and elegant, and they have that instantly recognizable charisma and holy-grail tone, that only a true Master can create. It's no wonder Jordan has risen to the upper echelons so quickly.
He's a heck of a great player too.
Well done, Jordan!
Steve, those are very kind words for Jordan, and I sense that they come from your heart. Thank you for sharing those thoughts.

I read the prose on your website about your journey from what was to what is, from other to building guitars. Remarkable and inspiring. There is a sense of honesty and poetry to your writing and your story that i can identify with. I think you mentioned in another post, that you are building guitar 100. That is quite an accomplishment. Your guitars look stunning. I hope you spend some time patiently getting to know that guitar. That is what I really enjoy about guitars, patiently getting to know them. Each one of them has so much character.

I will do what I can to get a recording of Jordan's guitar on the internet at some point down the road.

all the best,

Stuart
Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Steve, those are very kind words for Jordan, and I sense that they come from your heart. Thank you for sharing those thoughts.

I read the prose on your website about your journey from what was to what is, from other to building guitars. Remarkable and inspiring. There is a sense of honesty and poetry to your writing and your story that i can identify with. I think you mentioned in another post, that you are building guitar 100. That is quite an accomplishment. Your guitars look stunning. I hope you spend some time patiently getting to know that guitar. That is what I really enjoy about guitars, patiently getting to know them. Each one of them has so much character.

I will do what I can to get a recording of Jordan's guitar on the internet at some point down the road.

all the best,

Stuart
You are very kind, Stuart. You know, one of the primary motivations I had for becoming a luthier was, I have a life-long case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, just like so many others here on the Forum; and building a plurality of them every year somewhat satisfies that addiction.
But there are so many world-class guitar makers- many of them here on the AGF- who inspire a whole different level of passion with their superlative instruments. If money were no object, I would become an obsessive guitar collector, even as I would keep building. My favorite fantasy is to commission two or three guitars per year, and sell that many too, to keep these fantastic luthiers' instruments in circulation, so more people could have the pleasure of experiencing them.
And I have to say that Jordan McConnell is the guy right at the top of my Dream Guitar list.
Maybe someday...
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM

I really enjoyed listening to Jordan on his build philosophy and the connection he has to each guitar. There's no doubt this one is going to be something very, very special. Congrats to you!
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are very kind, Stuart. You know, one of the primary motivations I had for becoming a luthier was, I have a life-long case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, just like so many others here on the Forum; and building a plurality of them every year somewhat satisfies that addiction.
But there are so many world-class guitar makers- many of them here on the AGF- who inspire a whole different level of passion with their superlative instruments. If money were no object, I would become an obsessive guitar collector, even as I would keep building. My favorite fantasy is to commission two or three guitars per year, and sell that many too, to keep these fantastic luthiers' instruments in circulation, so more people could have the pleasure of experiencing them.
And I have to say that Jordan McConnell is the guy right at the top of my Dream Guitar list.
Maybe someday...
I consider myself very fortunate to have a few guitars. It's a spoil yourself kind of hobby, but on the other hand, there's something very healthy about making something out of wood and other bits and pieces and ending up with a beautiful instrument that makes so many remarkable sounds. You've found a great profession.

I may have to wait until the end of our winter for Jordan's guitar. But that's ok. Too challenging to ship before the temperature rises reasonably above zero. It will be great fun to play when it arrives.

Stuart
Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
I really enjoyed listening to Jordan on his build philosophy and the connection he has to each guitar. There's no doubt this one is going to be something very, very special. Congrats to you!

Thanks so much! I've a good feeling.

Your recent additional looks marvellous also. Aren't we spoiled.

All the best,

Stuart
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Maybe someday...
Without getting off topic too much I'd say your work is on parallel. I played that waterfall back ?bubinga in Memphis and it was killer. I have to find a picture of that.

Sorry to stray, carry on McConnell-ites
Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

No worries Matthew, it's worth speaking about when you do run across an amazing sounding guitar.

Jordan indicates that we are about two weeks away from completion. It always happens slower than one would like. Although shipping is perhaps another story, but I'll get some final pictures at any rate.

Paul H. at dream guitar purchased a Jordan McConnell guitar and talks about the specs, some of which are similar to my guitar and you can get a good sense of the tone if you listen to his playing.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 PM

I was not familiar with Jordan's work, but after following some of these links they are absolutely amazing. The sound is open and airy and clear and full and truly amazing. This is going to be fantastic. Based on the prices at Dream Guitar, I will never be fortunate to own one, but Holy Cow would I love to!!!

AND he is a founding member of Duhks!!!! How cool is that!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 AM

That's a beautiful sound from Paul's guitar!!!

Might have to take a trip to Manitoba (trust me, no one says that....) to visit Jordan.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
No worries Matthew, it's worth speaking about when you do run across an amazing sounding guitar.

Jordan indicates that we are about two weeks away from completion. It always happens slower than one would like. Although shipping is perhaps another story, but I'll get some final pictures at any rate.

Paul H. at dream guitar purchased a Jordan McConnell guitar and talks about the specs, some of which are similar to my guitar and you can get a good sense of the tone if you listen to his playing.

I could not be more impressed. Stunning on all counts and a nicely presented demo.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod True View Post
That's a beautiful sound from Paul's guitar!!!

Might have to take a trip to Manitoba (trust me, no one says that....) to visit Jordan.
What? We have a few good weeks of weather!

Kidding aside, one day I should give him a call and ask if he didn't mind an amateur builder come snooping around and talk about wood. Just realized I used to live a five minute walk from his house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop