The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I'd go with an Eastman and not look back....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Similarly, if you're determined to break from the Gibson/Fender pack and really develop your own signature sound, one of the Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series semis/hollowbodies may be just what you're looking for; while "That Great Gretsch Sound" isn't everyone's cuppa tea some of the most influential music of the last seven decades has been created on similar instruments, and as a Gretsch owner/player since 1964 I can say without reservation that the current Korean instruments are among the finest ever to bear the marque - every bit the equal of not only the MIJ Professional Series but the golden-era Brooklyn originals as well (many of which were fraught with structural problems, BTW)... you almost can't afford not to own one...
Steve woke me up with this reply. I wasn't aware of the quality of the MIK Gretsch guitars, but my first good electric as a '66 country Gentleman. I regrettably sold it in '96 to finance a piccolo for my daughter. Yeah, Gretsch might certainly be the way to go... though I'm still pretty happy with my Epi dot.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-01-2018, 01:05 PM

My all-time fav electric is my 1960 Harmony Meteor w/Bigsby.

I've been through Pre CBS Teles, Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, ES-335's... NONE of them can match one of these Harmony Meteors! FAT FAT FAT!!!!!!!

Here's one just like mine for sale at Gryphon. I've played it and it KILLS!

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...eor-h70-47783-
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM

I think regardless of brand, for clean jazz, you cannot go wrong with the sound of a hollow body or semi-hollow body.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
No one ever went wrong with a Telecaster
This sounds like hyperbole, it is not.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
No one ever went wrong with a Telecaster
Load it with Klein Alnico 4 pickups , he no longer lists them but he will build them upon request , add a 4-way switch setup and you are good to go .
Old 03-01-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
... I can say without reservation that the current Korean instruments are among the finest ever to bear the marque - every bit the equal of not only the MIJ Professional Series but the golden-era Brooklyn originals as well (many of which were fraught with structural problems, BTW).
You know I've read this on a few different forums and although I find the new Korean models, specifically the ones with the Blacktop pickups, to be of very good quality, I don't think they are on the same level as the Professional series. And yesterday, along with 3 serious guitar players that are close friends, all went out and put it to the test. We played at least 20 Professional Series instruments and as many Electromatics, and all of us concluded the Electromatics were great guitars but when it came to fit, finish, and tone, we found we all liked the Pro series (in general) more than Electromatics. The quality of the hardware was better on the Pro Line, the paint jobs were more consistent on the Pro series (we saw a lot of ripples and peel in the Electromatics), and the all of us liked the High Sensitivity Filtertrons better than the Blacktops, but one friend who was Gretsch-less walked out with a beautiful Electromatic G5420T in Aspen Green that stood above all the others, it was a fantastic guitar.

We tested them through the new Fender '68 Vibrolux reissue (which frankly threw me for a loop it was so consistently good from store to store), the new Brit made AC15 reissue, and a few Marshall variants for some crunchier rock tones. It was a great day to test Gretsch guitars, and as I said, I liked the Korean built Electromatics, but in the end, with Gretsch you still get what you pay for in the Pro Series. But I was ridiculously impressed by the tones we were getting from the Korean built models.

We also played some Indonesion built cheaper Gretsches and they just didn't hang and didn't feel like the professional series or the Electromatics.

And to qualify my statements, I have owned and played many Gretsch guitars both vintage and new. I currently own two Pro series, a special edition Duo Jet on which I replaced the bridge with a TruArc Titanuim, but is otherwise set up stock, and a player's edition Double Annie that is bone stock. The Double Annie when played at a reasonable volume sounds great through all of my amps with that distinctive Filtertron cluck, it sounds best on my 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb, and through a gainy amplifier (2006 TopHat Club Deluxe with an outboard vintage stype PTP Fender Reverb unit) feeds back in the most musical way I've heard any guitar. The feedback just cascades up an octave for the most incredible sound I've heard in a Gretsch. Anyone that's ever heard it drops their jaw in amazement, so needless to say, I love Gretsch guitars.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:17 PM

As already suggested, you need to play some guitars to find out what you like (even if that may change over time). And that can be fun.

I own and play full hollow-body electrics, semi-hollow-body electrics (335 style), and solid body electrics. You can get a good clean sound from each time, and with the chops play jazz in traditional timbres on all of them. I don't have the chops, but fake it sometimes.

Beside the amp and what and how you play (considerable factors) string choice can help make a jazz noise. Fatter strings or even flats can help considerably.

For decades I've thought that a good Telecaster can sound surprisingly like a hollow-body guitar. My guess is that the traditional Tele bridge and string trough design makes brings a bit of the wood body's resonance into things when playing lower volume and clean. It's not quite the same resonance that a hollow body brings, but it's still like unto that.

Another nice thing about Tele's and jazz is that they are often quite good on individual note separation in chords. I don't have the chops to play chord-melody style, but if I did the Tele can do that well. Another thing in the Tele's favor is that the volume knob is handy for instant changes (even volume swells or fake tremolo) while the typical Gibson setups isn't as handy.

Those Squire Teles mentioned already seem to be good deals for those who want to spend less. And Teles are very easy to work on, fix or upgrade.

If you're on a budget where sub $500 is where you're looking, I'll say that the current Epi 335 Pro models are pretty darn good for semi-hollowbodies. Fret Q/C may not be consistent however. You may need to hunt for a good one or return a dud.

You don't speak of wanting to make other noises, but a Tele or a 335 can cover a lot of rock territory as well.

My experience seconds Steve DeRosa on the current MIK Gretsch line (He's a big reason I got one). The Gretsch pickups have their own sound that can cover the cutting twangy Tele thing when you select the bridge pickup with the treble up, but you can select the neck and dip the treble to taste and hear some big body resonance when playing low volume. As far as I can use them, they can't do the creamy, overdriven and compressed but not fuzzy sound that some 335 players made famous. Their larger bodies have the same "big arm reach" issue that some have with dreads in the acoustic world if that's a concern for you. Bigsby's aren't traditional in jazz, but who's checking your jazz card anyway, and Gretsch sells some non-Bigsby models too. I like the typical Gretsch master volume location, you can't volume swell like on a Tele, but it's easy to use it to change volume in the middle of a song, even if you're using both pickups.

Enjoy the hunt!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-01-2018, 04:33 PM

whoops double post!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As already suggested, you need to play some guitars to find out what you like (even if that may change over time). And that can be fun.

Beside the amp and what and how you play (considerable factors) string choice can help make a jazz noise. Fatter strings or even flats can help considerably.

For decades I've thought that a good Telecaster can sound surprisingly like a hollow-body guitar. My guess is that the traditional Tele bridge and string trough design makes brings a bit of the wood body's resonance into things when playing lower volume and clean. It's not quite the same resonance that a hollow body brings, but it's still like unto that.

Another nice thing about Tele's and jazz is that they are often quite good on individual note separation in chords. I don't have the chops to play chord-melody style, but if I did the Tele can do that well. Another thing in the Tele's favor is that the volume knob is handy for instant changes (even volume swells or fake tremolo) while the typical Gibson setups isn't as handy.

I like the typical Gretsch master volume location, you can't volume swell like on a Tele, but it's easy to use it to change volume in the middle of a song, even if you're using both pickups.
I agree with all of your points here! Especially the ones I quoted of yours.

It's funny how your ears change in time to what they want to hear, and what you want in a guitar!

String size and type will totally change the character of your guitar. The first time I put a set of Thomastik Flatwounds (Swing Series) onto my Gretsch DuoJet, it was like I was playing a new guitar, so much so, that I wanted two gretschs, one setup with rounds, and the other, flats!

And I love where Gretsch puts the master volume. I personally live in the middle posit-on of my Anniversary where I find backing up the neck pickup volume just bit brings out that "Great Gretsch Sound", so when I get that dialed to where I like it I just use the master to control my volume!

And Tele's can definately do Jazz. Just listen the outer-worldly excursions of Jim Campilongo to hear some great examples of that, or some one like Ed Bickert...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I don't have any personal recommendation, but if the OP wants to investigate the many Tele recommendations, look up some videos by Julian Lage. I love listening to what he does with his Tele.
-Bob
Old 03-01-2018, 09:08 PM

Something that tends to get lost in the shuffle is that when the electric guitar began to emerge is that jazz was the dominant genre for it . Leo Fender and Les Paul weren't trying to build for a rock and roll sound simply because rock and roll had not yet happened .
They weren't building for a country or country and western sound either .
Of course , a Tele can do jazz . Jazz is it's birthright .
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Default If I wanted one electric guitar

One guitar that has not been mentioned is the Taylor T5z. It offers the flexibility to allow you to play almost style with it. It does have a learning curve due to all of its settings - five pickup selections and very adjustable tone settings. And yes it’s pricey but it’s flexibility justifies the price and it’s a Taylor. Add a Fender Hot Rod Deville or Twin Reverb and you’re good to go!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 03-02-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:30 AM

Default If I wanted one electric guitar

+ 1 for a good Telecaster properly one of the most versatile electrics going
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-02-2018, 03:39 AM

Even though I love my Telecaster, I think the Stratocaster (which I love also) is the most versatile electric guitar on the planet.

Five way switch plus a tremolo is a whole lot of guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars