The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 AM

Default Pickup for D-28? Fishman Matrix with Aura Spectrum DI?

Wondering about suggestions for a pickup for my new (to me) '13 D-28. My other guitar is a J45 Standard with the stock LR Baggs Element UST. The Element sounds pretty crummy by itself, but works really well with my Fishman Spectrum Aura DI. I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep things simple, so
I was thinking of having a Fishman Matrix UST installed in the D-28. Seems like it would keep things consistent and work really well with the Spectrum Aura DI.

I know many will be against the Fishman Matrix UST, but I really dont want to go nuts installing a dual pickup system and getting all fancy. I actually do have an LR Baggs M80 that's sitting in the box doing nothing but figure the Fishman Matrix would, again, work better with the Aura than a soundhole pickup would, since UST's are what the Aura Spectrum DI is made for.

Am I making a big mistake is I install the Matrix? Anyone out there use a Fishman MAtrix and the Aura Spectrum DI together?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:21 AM

I have a matrix infinity in my Martin M36 which I pair with the Aura spectrum DI. I have to say I love the results, it takes a bit of time to find the most suitable image (though I had a lot of fun in this process) and settings. But once you find a match, in my opinion, it does become very hassle free and great sounding!

I should add; one day i'd like to try a Baggs Anthem as I've heard this live and was impressed. Having said that i'm more than happy with my set up and as you already have an Aura Spectrum it makes logical sense for you to install a matrix infinity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification