The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Default How to select Fishman Aura images

I wonder if there are any tried and tested systematic procedures for selecting the optimal Fishman Aura images.

Since a significant amount of 'post-aura equalisation' is involved (Mid-range cut) , to my mind it becomes very difficult to select an optimal image with the EQ set flat.

There again if I pre-engage a significant mid-range cut, it is going to colour any Fishman images I wish to evaluate.

The whole exercise is therefore becoming a little difficult. Most grateful for your expert input…
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM

With a regular acoustic-electric, you try to find sound images made with the same model, or a similar model guitar.

When it comes to the image casting thing for a hybrid guitar, it seems to be more of a crap shoot. You just try everything. Don't forget to try reversing the phase of the sound image, as well as experimenting with EQ.

You never really know what's going to appeal to your taste until you try it. I once had a little concert-sized Cort with its own onboard Aura system, but I much preferred turning off the onboard Aura effect and using one of the Spectrum's OM sound images with that little guitar. I was, in effect, modeling a bigger guitar. Theoretically, I should have liked the Cort sound images better because they were custom made for that specific model of guitar. In actuality, however, I much preferred a particular OM sound image in the Spectrum's bank of OM sound images.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Menon View Post
I wonder if there are any tried and tested systematic procedures for selecting the optimal Fishman Aura images.

Since a significant amount of 'post-aura equalisation' is involved (Mid-range cut) , to my mind it becomes very difficult to select an optimal image with the EQ set flat.

There again if I pre-engage a significant mid-range cut, it is going to colour any Fishman images I wish to evaluate.

The whole exercise is therefore becoming a little difficult. Most grateful for your expert input…
I think you're best bet is to set the EQ on just the pickup to get the best sound you can that way. Then select and blend in different images until you find the one you like. Your pickup signal is going to be a significant part of your final sound. The Aura isn't supposed to replace it, so you have to work from it's best sound as a base. Don't over think it. Just dial in your pickup and then try various images until you find one that works with what you've got.

Foe what it's worth, that worked just fine for me with my Godin Multiac and the Aura 16.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification