The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Using guitar reverb pedal with Zed-10fx mixer....

I recently purchased a Zed-10FX Allen & Heath mixer and I plan to match it up with a QSC K10 soon for use with acoustic guitar(s), vocal(s), and possibly a keyboard. I would like to try out my Strymon Blue Sky pedal adding some reverb to all channels to see how it compares to the built in FX on the mixer.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best way (best sounding) to accomplish this. The Strymon can be used in stereo or mono - I suppose with only one QSC K10 for now that won't make much difference.

So TRS to TS Y cable used on Main Mix insert?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyC View Post
I recently purchased a Zed-10FX Allen & Heath mixer and I plan to match it up with a QSC K10 soon for use with acoustic guitar(s), vocal(s), and possibly a keyboard. I would like to try out my Strymon Blue Sky pedal adding some reverb to all channels to see how it compares to the built in FX on the mixer.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best way (best sounding) to accomplish this. The Strymon can be used in stereo or mono - I suppose with only one QSC K10 for now that won't make much difference.

So TRS to TS Y cable used on Main Mix insert?

Thanks for the help.
That's what I would try first, and I think the only way you'll eventually be able to use it in stereo (two insert cables in that case, one for left one for right).

The other way to do this--it will give you more control, but only I think in mono--would be to use the aux or the FX out. You patch in from one of those outputs to the Strymon and then from there into an open mixer channel. This way you can can control how much signal from each of the other channels you're sending to the pedal (using the FX or aux send knobs) and how much of the pedal's wet signal you're mixing in with the original dry signals (using the return channel's volume control). More variables, more complexity, but if you learn to use it correctly, potentially better sound. I'm not sure how the Strymon works in terms of stereo output. Can you put a mono signal into it and get a stereo signal out?

In any case, you probably won't be using it in stereo in a live situation anyway, even if and when you get a second speaker.

One last thing, and it's just my two cents: I'd only bother with this if I really, really needed the kind of big "reverb as ambient effect" kind of sound the Strymon can deliver--and if I needed it on everything or different combinations of everything. For the kind of reverb one would usually use to give some sense of space to the mix for an acoustic performance in a dead room, the reverbs on the ZED are more than adequate (in fact they're very nice), and a hell of a lot easier to access and use! If I wanted to use the Strymon for special effects, say, just on the guitar or keyboard for some songs, I'd use it the way it was meant to be used: on a single or stereo signal, in line before the mixer.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 12-17-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 PM

I have a A&H ZED 10fx and the effects are more than adequate for performing.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Louis, thanks a lot! I really appreciate your detailed response! I'm going out today to purchase a QSC K10, so I will just see how the fx sound on the mixer or now . Thanks guys!!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM

I agree with Louis' opinion in that the Strymon is likely overkill and into a reverb area that most vocals won't want to sit in. I'd find either a used TCelectronics or Lexicon verb for the mixer (or use the built in) and save the Strymon for guitar-only (or sell/swap for other equipment you'll enjoy.

BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 AM

Thanks guys - your advice was spot on....part of what made me want to try the Strymon is that when I purchased the mixer, I originally purchased the guitar center brand powered speaker as it was on sale for like $129 dollars...boy, everything including the FX on the Zed sounded pretty bad. I went back to GC and exchanged it for the QSC K10 and now my guitar and the FX on the Zed sound pretty darn good .
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyC View Post
Thanks guys - your advice was spot on....part of what made me want to try the Strymon is that when I purchased the mixer, I originally purchased the guitar center brand powered speaker as it was on sale for like $129 dollars...boy, everything including the FX on the Zed sounded pretty bad. I went back to GC and exchanged it for the QSC K10 and now my guitar and the FX on the Zed sound pretty darn good .
Not surprising. Enjoy the new set up! It's a fine little PA system for a solo acoustic performer.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification