The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Hmmmmmm, Anybody else try one of those Vox doo dads??
Old 10-20-2003, 03:35 PM

One amp you will never outgrow and it is good for small to large venues once you learn to set it up is the Fender Vibralux . I have two I run in sterio from a sterio delay pedal and they ever more fill the room no matter what you throw at them .

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 10-20-2003, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lex Luthier

Pro Junior doesn't have reverb, that's the Blue's Junior, also a great amp if your looking for a master vol. and reverb in a small tube amp.
My bad, you're absolutely right.
Stapp's Paradox: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 PM

Of all the modeling amps, and I've tried a few, the vox takes the cake. But IMHO, it still can't sound like a good tube amp live. My bandmate just bought one to use in his other rock and roll band, after taking a marshall head back because it lacked variety. We play blues mostly, and for that, my bandmate god rid of his hot rod deluxe, it was just too loud, even with an attenuator. He now uses a Mesa Maverick, which I think is a great sounding amp - much better than the HRD. As the others in this thread have mentioned, it really depends on what you're looking for, but more importanly, how much you wanna spend. The vox 212 can be had for around $400 now, which is mighty tempting, cause is sounds pretty good for solid state.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:08 PM

hor rod is bluesy in my opinion. i like peavey amps a lot. specially for the price. my brother plays an all tube peavy head through a marshall 4x10 cabinet. it sounds amazing.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Boy the confusion,,,,what to do,,,,,,,what to do????
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 PM

Glad to see that I'm among Fender friends here. I have both Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr. You can spend more(can you say Mesa Boogie Nomad and F-30?) but to my ears Fender makes a sweet sounding amp for your dollar invested. As for tube vs solid state. Stay with tubes, more costly, heavy and sometimes unreliable but tone is always better than solid state..
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Looks like the tube amps are starting to nudge out the rest.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:18 PM

I'm thinking about building a tube amp. I have been looking at Fender Vibro Champ and '59 Bassman schematics. I figure the Vibro Champ will cost around $250CDN to build, and that's WITHOUT a speaker.
Pictorial of Violin #3
Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 PM

This is what I'm using right now:

It's a Hot Rod Deluxe, all tube, with a Jensen C12 speaker. The Jensen sounds a lot different (and better, in my always wildly humble opinion) than the stock Eminence speaker in the standard HRD.

I've been using this amp so much that I'm offing my Marshall Bluesbreaker, which is something I never thought I would do...

Steve
Old 10-20-2003, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve314
It's a Hot Rod Deluxe, all tube, with a Jensen C12 speaker. The Jensen sounds a lot different (and better, in my always wildly humble opinion) than the stock Eminence speaker in the standard HRD.
I drive my Pro Junior through two Jensen C10R's, sounds SWEEEEEEEEEEET! It sounds ALOT smoother with more bass and seems to have more head room.
Pictorial of Violin #3
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 AM

I bought a spider 112 about a month ago,mainly because they had lots of gadgets and they were really heavily discounted over here;finally paid £190,they originally retailed in the UK For £359.For the money it's brilliant,the effects are useable the amp models may sound nothing like the real things but it does give you variety of tone that you don't get with a one trick pony valve amp(that is not a slur on valve amps,it just reads badly).As with everything musical,everybody is different and has differing ideas of what's good and what isn't depending on their own uses.I don't play rock anymore except for personal amusement at home,the Line 6 is perfect for my needs.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:22 AM

Before you buy you should try out the Mesa Booie Maverick, Blue angel and the new F-30.

The F-30 is a simple and great sounding little amp. The blue angel is in the vain of all the fender amps that are mentioned here but with a little more punch and grunt available.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 10-21-2003, 08:41 AM

I've had a Hot Rod Deluxe for just over two years now, and really like it. It's got a good clean sound, which can be modified quite easily if you need to with some good pedals. My experience with tube amps is admittedly somewhat limited as the bulk of my playing is done on acoustic, but from what I've experienced the HRD works well and offers great value for the price.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 AM
.tom the übergeek

I have the Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb and it is an outstanding amp....BUT....I play at church and need more amp tones than it can offer AND I cannot turn it up loud enough in church to get a really great tube amp tone. They really only start to get their voice when you get into driving the power tubes.

With that said, the Valvetronix really suits me well. It allows me to get really good amp tones, very clean or high gain at any volume. It is the only modeling amp that I have found that will "cut through" in a band situation like my tube amp. It is still a modeling amp so....it is not a perfect tube sound BUT it comes much closer than anything that has come before it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars