The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Default AER vs Scherlter

I'm hoping to get a high end acoustic amp, and currently looking at the AER Compact 60 and Schertler David. Both really portable and powerful enough for what I need, but I have not been able to compare the two side by side for sound etc.

If anyone has any experience with these two, or thoughts on the features of each, it would be gratefully appreciated! I know I'll get differing preferences and opinions, but really thats what I want so that I can weigh it all up and make my own decision. It's all good!

Many thanks in anticipation!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I have a David but have never tried the AER so I am limited to the one. The David is small, sounds great, and has lots of tone controls to shape the sound. I don't use mine much as my main gig supplies all that kind of stuff so it's overkill for me to bring it. The only problem I ever had was some reverb feedback which may or may not be typical for the amp. If I keep the spring reverb turned down it is fine. Not crazy loud in a band setting but for small gigs I think it is cool.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
I have a David... I think it is cool.
Hi Pitner, thanks for the thoughts. Am I right there's no input gain control? How do you get on with that? Has it caused you any problems?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM

No problems with that just the reverb issue otherwise very nice and clear amp. It's a shame I really never use it but I'm sure it will get used in the future.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM

I have a Schertler UNICO and the Shertler SIDE. I am very pleased with them.

Last edited by redcloud; 01-17-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM

You may also want to investigate Acoustic Image. I've used one for three years now and really like it. I have a Coda R.

Of course, that may just muddy the waters for you....
kr

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic_andy View Post
I'm hoping to get a high end acoustic amp, and currently looking at the AER Compact 60 and Schertler David. Both really portable and powerful enough for what I need, but I have not been able to compare the two side by side for sound etc.

If anyone has any experience with these two, or thoughts on the features of each, it would be gratefully appreciated! I know I'll get differing preferences and opinions, but really thats what I want so that I can weigh it all up and make my own decision. It's all good!

Many thanks in anticipation!
Much will depend on what you intend to plug into either of those amps. Check the input specs of each amp, check the output specs of whatever you want to connect to either amp and analyze the compatibility of both signal paths.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Much will depend on what you intend to plug into either of those amps. Check the input specs of each amp, check the output specs of whatever you want to connect to either amp and analyze the compatibility of both signal paths.
Seriously? I wouldn't even know where to start. Do you have any suggestion for a good layman's website or other source where I can read and learn about compatibility and how to analyze? Something not too technical, maybe just laying out theory basics and rules-of-thumb.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

I believe John at Shoreline music sells both and has played both. He is an AGF sponsor and a great guy. Give him a call. I recently bought a Schertler Jam 150 from him. Great deal, great amp, great store.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Seriously? I wouldn't even know where to start. Do you have any suggestion for a good layman's website or other source where I can read and learn about compatibility and how to analyze? Something not too technical, maybe just laying out theory basics and rules-of-thumb.
Doug covers the basics in this guide:

http://store.acousticguitar.com/prod...ion-essentials

In this case, most "acoustic" combo amps are designed to accommodate a wide variety of the signals people usually want to put into them. Occasionally there are better or worser choices for a given system. It's mostly about impedance and maybe signal strength, but dual source systems, of course, present other issues (phantom power, mixing abilities, phase, etc.).

Louis
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I've had a Schertler Jam 400 a bit over a year and a half now. I did AB it w/ a AER Compact 60, you're talking about two amps close to the top of the food chain.

Even though the Jam 400 is a slight pain to move around, I love the amp. High quality components, very open open sound, I'm overjoyed w/ my purchase.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Doug covers the basics in this guide:

http://store.acousticguitar.com/prod...ion-essentials

In this case, most "acoustic" combo amps are designed to accommodate a wide variety of the signals people usually want to put into them. Occasionally there are better or worser choices for a given system. It's mostly about impedance and maybe signal strength, but dual source systems, of course, present other issues (phantom power, mixing abilities, phase, etc.).

Louis
I think this is true even for the Schertler amps, some of which have "dedicated" inputs. In the case of Schertler, the inputs on David Classic amps, for example, reference Schertler specific pickups or interfaces. I gig a Schertler all the time using a standard guitar with built in preamp into any of the inputs and all inputs sound fine. The inputs do slightly different things but all sound equally good and better than other amp options I have tried. So the inputs may be optimized and labeled for a certain type of guitar output but work very well for many types.

hunter
Old 12-08-2015, 11:35 AM

Another amp to mud the water with:

http://henriksenamplifiers.com/the-bud-amp/
Old 12-08-2015, 01:05 PM

If you're looking to buy a high quality acoustic amp, I would also audition the new Fender Acoustic Pro, which perhaps has raised the standard for acoustic combo amps.

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifi...271100000.html
Old 12-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
If you're looking to buy a high quality acoustic amp, I would also audition the new Fender Acoustic Pro, which perhaps has raised the standard for acoustic combo amps.

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifi...271100000.html
Now, I have to find one. That is quite a claim and I would not expect that much from Fender for acoustics (electrics, yes, but to me they really have not been much of a player in good acoustics aside from owning Guild for a short while.)

Still haven't seen one in a store.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification