The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM

Default Intonating a nylon guitar?

Hey all,

Might be a question for the custom/luthier section but figured I would start here. I was wondering how (if possible) to tweak the intonation on a nylon string flamenco guitar.

The guitar is a Cordoba Solista Flamenca, so a good quality instrument and has a very nice sound, but when I play up the neck it sounds a little bit off. I'm not talking a significant amount but a barre chord above the 7th fret is just a bit out.

I recently received a custom flamenco (hand built) and the intonation is bang on, which just highlights the shortcomings of my other guitar even more.

Now, the action on the new guitar is lower. Would lowering the action on the Cordoba help? That would just involve a new saddle, nothing too major. The new guitar also has an intonation compensated nut. That would require more effort but still do-able.

Anyway, like I said, it is not really bad, but if there is something reasonably easy and/or cheap to do to improve it I am all ears.

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Is the saddle straight or compensated?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM

How far off and which way, sharp or flat?

hunter
Old 04-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Saddle is NOT compensated. I need to do a little investigating to determine if it is sharp or flat (and am currently at work so will need to wait until I am home).

Later
Rob
Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 PM

The reason that compensation at the bridge saddle is needed is to accommodate string stretch when fretting. The string stretch raises the tension the the string note is sharper than it otherwise would be. This is very normal. High action means more stretch, so a sharper fretted note. The test is to play the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted 12th fret note. If the fretted note is sharper, the bridge saddle needs to be moved back. You could try having the action lowered to be the same as your new guitar, you could try lower tension strings, or you could try adjusting the intonation by filing the saddle to move the break-point back. If you are at all unsure, find a technician to have a look and advise you. But step one is to test at the 12th fret, and step two might be to adjust the action height, both of which are well within the skill level of an average owner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical