The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Got my new Larrivee 000-40r yesterday and it meets all expectations. Fit and finish is perfect and it has a huge voice for it's smaller size. Haven't tried a flatpick yet but it roars with a thumbpick and is very sweet with fingertips. I bought mine from Notable Guitars but Wildwood and Shoreline are both great dealers and may have one in stock. You can't go wrong and all that herringbone is super classy!!
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...1&d=1501254998
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New 000_1.jpg (34.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Ed Bob - Its not clear why you are considering the change or what is drawing you to the replacement guitar candidates. Why are you considering selling the Taylor? Why are you considering those replacements? What about them do you feel is more of a fit for you than the Taylor? How did you arrive at the two possible replacement guitars?

I cannot speak to the Larivee as I have never played it. I own the Yamaha LS16R (rosewood) version. I cannot say whether either is a downgrade from the Taylor as I have never played that Taylor, but the Yamaha is definitely less expensive than the Taylor. That does not mean it is a downgrade - that would be up to you to decide.

I like the LS16 very much but it is my first and only smaller bodied guitar - folk or OM size. I'm used to, and I probably prefer, dreads - the smaller body is no worse, just different. As for quality and build, the Yamaha is top notch and well appointed and it sounds good and plays easily. I only own Yamahas - not because of a particular brand bias but because I feel they offer solid value for the money.

It seems to me that you are looking for something different than what you have but you are not clear why you are looking or what your criteria are for what you are searching for. This clarity would help us help you.
Your thoughts on Yamaha echo mine. I've been playing them since my first red label FG180 in 1969.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 AM

That is a beautiful guitar, Skip!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM

I would keep the Taylor.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM

While Larrivee makes fine guitars, I strongly suggest you try one and actually spend some time playing one (think at least 20-30 minutes).

Why? Larrivees have a flatter neck radius in first position. I had one and it didn't agree with my hands, made 'em cramp up.

If I were you, I would get a handle on your preferences a bit more before moving on from your Taylor. If you don't, the chances of acquiring a "lifetime guitar" aren't all that good. Just my .02

Good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 PM

I really like Larivees. More so than Taylors.

But, the thing is, the difference between a similarly-sized Taylor and Larrivee is going to be so big that you're likely to have a huge preference for one or the other. The necks are different (The Taylor necks are a lot faster), and tonally the Larrivee's a lot more woody, and (to my ear) a Taylor can feel really thin in comparison.

So it's not so much about "one of these is better than the other" but rather that you're likely to vastly prefer one of them. Go play a Larrivee before you decide to make the switch - either the switch will seem like a no-brainer or a no-way-in-hell.

Last edited by Hotspur; 07-28-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTune View Post
I'd keep the Taylor. Sounds like you don't really have a problem with it, just a little GAS! If you bought the Taylor new you'll take quite a hit on it. Just save and slowly add a guitar if you want another. What if you mss the Taylor and don't like what you get next?
I agree with this statement. No judgment of the OP...we all suffer. But it really just sounds like a classical gas situation. (See what i did there?) LOL
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
While Larrivee makes fine guitars, I strongly suggest you try one and actually spend some time playing one (think at least 20-30 minutes).

Why? Larrivees have a flatter neck radius in first position. I had one and it didn't agree with my hands, made 'em cramp up.

If I were you, I would get a handle on your preferences a bit more before moving on from your Taylor. If you don't, the chances of acquiring a "lifetime guitar" aren't all that good. Just my .02

Good luck.
I'm the other way around - I LOVE flat fingerboards - guess that's why I like classical guitars.

If I were just starting out, I'd love to have a Taylor like you have. They are great guitars if you like 'em (personally, I don't -but that's me). IMHO, you need to haunt all the music stores and play as many different makers as you can until something grabs you - it'll happen, I guarantee it; and TAKE YOUR TIME -- there's no big rush. About the 'lifetime guitar' part, I'm sure just about everyone on this forum has used that excuse to their spouse at some point. There's NO perfect guitar and if you need lots of 'em to scratch your itches, that's cool. For myself, OTOH, I only keep around what I need to generate income - I got the new Larrivee yesterday and it'll start paying for itself Saturday night.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 AM

No offense taken on the GAS implication. I'm totally aware myself this may be the case. What exactly does GAS stand for? I can gather what it means from the context.

I also didn't mean to give the impression that I'm just starting out. I've been playing guitar for over 10 years, but have only owned a few high end guitars.

I do love how easy the Taylor is to play, but like you all have said - I really just need to get my hands on some different brands and see what feels most comfortable to me.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_bob View Post
No offense taken on the GAS implication. I'm totally awarre myself this may be the case. What exactly does GAS stand for? I can gather what it means from the context...
Guitar (or Gear) Acquisition Syndrome....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion