The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-30-2023, 09:01 AM

Default 4 year Old Gibson L-00 Studio - Needs repair

I bought a Gibson Acoustic L-00 Studio in 2019. I bought it for my wife but she never played it and it has literally been in the case for 4+ years. I recently got it out of the case and the action is way high on the upper frets. I tried to adjust the truss rod little by little, and it just doesn't respond. It is almost like the truss rod isn't seated properly and the action makes it not playable to me.

I am assuming it is no longer a warranty item. How should I handle it at this point? I have other guitars that I play, and my tendency is just to put this thing in the case and forget about it, but that just seems to kick the can down the road. Where would I find options for who to ship it to for repair? It's a ~$1,500 guitar, so I am not wanting to get into expensive impractical repairs and neck resets or complicated options. Is it worth it to pursue at all? I have lost $1,500 lots of other ways, so I can handle whatever the outcome is - I just need to decide if it is worth any energy at this point.

Feedback appreciated.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:19 AM

Action is not adjusted by the truss rod, although there could be some effect. I would undo what you've done.

Action is lowered by lowering the saddle.

I would check with the store you purchased from or check directly with Gibson. My understanding is Gibson has a lifetime guarantee to the original purchaser and some stores offer lifetime setups.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:21 AM

Default a thought

There's no way to judge without a hands-on inspection by a pro. I didn't see any location for OP, and I think knowing it would help the group offer useful advice.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:57 AM

How'd a new guitar's action get so far off in four years of no play, just sitting in storage? Can we presume it was always stored inside a conditioned room, a room with temps in the low 70s or high 60s? What about humidification?

What is way high in actual numbers? Give us the E and the e in either inches or mm.

Here is one of many hundreds of videos on how to address this yourself. Buy a good string gage if you don't have one, a digital caliper (Harbor Freight is OK), and some sandpaper in the right grits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPofO0QO8CU&loop=0

Be careful.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-01-2024, 12:18 PM

If you bought it new and live in the US, it has a limited lifetime warranty. If it wasn’t built properly, it should be covered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair