The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Default help

I did something wrong. I was going to change the pegs on my tuners and my guess is that you have to take the tension off first. Well I didn't and now the peg just spins and I can't even get the old one to screw back on. What should I do here?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM

It looks like the gear pushed thru the tuner.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Can you post a pic?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM

I figured it out and got it done. Like I said the tension on the tuner pushed the gear thru the back of the tuner. If you try this take the tension off the strings first. After I disabled the use of the tuner there was no way to get the tension off the string. I shot up to my local mom and pop shop and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any idea how I could get the tension off without cutting the string and he said," just cut it, when I do string changes I always just cut the strings off." Needless to say I will never be taking my guitars to this guy. I can't imagine that can be good for an acoustic guitar. I took all the tension off the remaining strings and cut the d string. There wasnt much tension on it anyway. It seems I took most of it off when I first took the tuner peg off.

But anyway, am I crazy in thinking that cutting the strings is insane? I only cut one and didn't feel good about doing that. This nut job cuts all the strings off with the guitar fully tuned.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM

Not insane, but if you cut them under full tension, they can go flying and poke your eye out.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Not a good idea

Taking the tension off the strings before cutting them only take a couple of seconds, and is absolutely the right thing to do. Steel strings put a couple of hundred pounds of tension on a guitar. Don't know how much tension's on the low "e" string, but it's a lot. From that to zero by cutting the strings - makes no sense to me......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair