The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2002, 09:17 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Default Koa Kottke 6 string, false advertising?

Well, sometime last week I mentioned I thought I saw a Koa Kottke 6 string for sale at my local guitar dealer. Went back again today and yes, the guitar is definatley advertised as made of Koa. The side woods do look like they may be Koa, no "flame" but more of that subtle longitidunal figuring you can see on Koa guitars. The back however looks like Mahogany to me. Got me thinking that maybe the sides were figured mahogany. The lable just lists the guitar as a Kottke sig model, nothing there mentioning Koa. Any thoughts? Is the dealer "mistaken"? If I emailed Taylor would they answer whether they have produced any Koa LKSM guitars? (I'm not interested in purchasing it, just don't like false advertising)
Old 12-10-2002, 09:45 PM

Koa Kottke. Koa Kottke. Koa Kottke!! Say it three times fast!

Probably not false advertising, just uninformed and desperately dumb.

You wouldn't believe (oh yes you would!) some of the dumb stuff that sales people have told me and others here over the years.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Cocobologist

Owned a LKSM-6. Mahogany Back and Sides, Sitka Top. No Koa, but it does have Rosewood binding...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 12-10-2002, 11:33 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

This store may be one of the "dumb ones", but I doubt it. It is located on Maui (so they should know Koa) and as it is the only decent music store on island, and this IS Maui, they deal with a lot of professional musicians. (Willie Nelson has to get his strings somehwere you know!). They mainly carry Taylors, some Gibsons, Takamine, an occasional Martin in the acoustic section. Older employees who have been there for years.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:28 AM

I'd be happy to check out the situation personally if you fly me there (Maui).

Vintage Ibanez Dread
Martin D28
Taylor 355
American Deluxe Power Telecaster
Les Paul Deluxe
Old 12-11-2002, 09:33 AM

sometimes, mahogany can look like koa. I remember a year or so back, Frank from Frets.com mistook the mahogany neck of a 414-LTD (koa) to be a koa neck. it wasn't - Bob confirmed to us that that particular batch just looked like koa...

Last edited by alchu; 12-11-2002 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:36 AM

here it is. he changed the text on the page after a few people pointed out that it wasn't koa...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Gryp.../414celtd.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion