The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Default How many folks have turned their natural guitar into sunburst?

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times here but I can't find any more information on it. So I got this Mexican Martin GPX1AE a couple of days ago in a trade and I love it. Sounds good, plays unbelievably good just an overall winner of a guitar especially for gigging. But I keep looking at it and thinking "dang that would be pretty in a tobacco sunburst". It's a matte finish natural top. Who's done this and how? Can a clutz who makes guitar picks do it?
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM

With most of the better makers, they have the most expert guy spray the sunburst. Sometimes, its the guy whose name is on the headstock.

I have a guitar that could use a refinish and I thought about having the 'burst added. The quote for the work disabused me of that notion.

As a DIY project, I put the chances of success in the "slim to none" range.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Default How many folks have turned their natural guitar into sunburst?

"Who's done this and how? Can a clutz who makes guitar picks do it?"

You can do whatever you put your mind to but I don't know how good it will look. Also, this makes me wonder if a DIY paint job can change the tone (it will) but how much? I guess we can't really know if it'd be for the better or worse.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 AM

I had an idea to turn my GS Mini into a kind of burst , by masking an area of the top with something like a scrunched-up piece of lace, then exposing it to sunlight, which quickly begins to darken the finish on these matt Taylors .

I have seen this kind of fuzzy-edged, semi-masking used by a custom car spray painter to good effect.

Anyhoo, long story short, I never bothered .....
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

There was a comment on a post here a few weeks ago from a member that had added a sunburst finish to some of his guitars and they were beautiful. He said it wasn't difficult, but I can't find the thread now.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-03-2017, 08:21 AM

The second time I do something is always way better than the first. The third time is almost always better than the second.

Maybe you've got some good friends that would let you practice on their guitars so the first two ugly results don't end up in your house?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

AGF member Marshall added a home made burst to his old J50. This might be who you are thinking of, Mick. He showed a pic in the recent sunburst thread .

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I've done a half dozen sunburst finishes, the process would be the same for electrics as acoustics. If you're doing just the top,.. mask off the rest of the body.

on the the first couple I used this:

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/sunprod.html

some more info here:

http://www.reranch.com/sunburstaerosol.html

I wouldn't say it's easy to do, it's one of those things you have one attempt at getting right, you go too far, get a splatter or color drip and you're toast.

a couple of mine,

Last edited by stephenT; 03-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Those are gorgeous!! I'd like to stay with a matte finish and maybe hand rub the burst on. Or I may chicken out and not do it at all. LOL

I'd really like to get some info from someone who has done it that way.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Ha, I'd be more inclined to go the opposite direction and turn a sunburst into a matte natural finish!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Those are gorgeous!! I'd like to stay with a matte finish and maybe hand rub the burst on. Or I may chicken out and not do it at all. LOL

I'd really like to get some info from someone who has done it that way.
John How used to hand rub his 'bursts, you can get some nice vintage violin type looks. I'd check out violin builders to find some hand rubbing techniques.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Can a clutz who makes guitar picks do it?
Sure you can. The question is, do you want a professional look or are you willing to settle for something potentially far far less
Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM

It depends on what kind of finish the Martin has now, as stock. If it is a post or UV catalyzed water-based lacquer, which is becoming pretty normal on lower end factory guitars, then I would say no, you can't put a sunburst over that finish with a good end result. If it has a nitro-cellulose lacquer finish, the I would say yes, you could put fresh lacquer over that, of the same type, and have it chemically bond for a good long term result.

If it's UV catalyzed then getting nitrocellulose or anything else to stick to it is apparently a problem.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

If someone says they had success with it on a spruce top acoustic, ask to see extreme close ups of the top. Even the best shops in the world have a hard time minimising splatter and getting a nice graduation. This isn't a rattle can job. Not to mention that you've got to put a clear finish back over it. If it's a beater you don't mind messing up, sure. But, as someone who's done a good bit of painting on hot rods, motorcycles, and guitars, I'll recommend not doing it on a guitar you like.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
It depends on what kind of finish the Martin has now, as stock. If it is a post or UV catalyzed water-based lacquer, which is becoming pretty normal on lower end factory guitars, then I would say no, you can't put a sunburst over that finish with a good end result. If it has a nitro-cellulose lacquer finish, the I would say yes, you could put fresh lacquer over that, of the same type, and have it chemically bond for a good long term result.

If it's UV catalyzed then getting nitrocellulose or anything else to stick to it is apparently a problem.
As someone that has done a LOT of painting (literally, several thousand cars) and refinished an acoustic I agree with this.

I would also add that to do a proper sunburst would likely require a cheap compressor and a touchup or airbrush type paint gun and the ability and/or eye to mix paints and fade from one shade to another.

A crummy sunburst would be easy to do. A good one, maybe not so much.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion