The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-01-2023, 10:20 AM

Default Mustang Micro Amp

I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with a remarkable little device. It's a Fender Mustang Micro, an amp about the size of a Bic lighter. You plug it into your guitar and listen to it with headphones. It's a modeler with 12 different amp settings and another 12 effects. It also has Bluetooth capability which allows you to play along with music stored on your cell phone. This is an unbelievably powerful feature. As an everyday practice amp, it's very functional, and I use it constantly.

The reason this post isn't in the "Amplification" section is that I wanted to comment on the use of the device for testing instruments. I've been using it to find a new guitar and took it from store-to-store testing one model after another without ever having to give an in-store, live performance. I just plugged it in and privately listened thru headphones. I sat there playing along with backing tracks, and no one was the wiser.

In the end, for an investment of less than $90, I was able to save $2250 by not selecting the wrong guitar. I highly recommend this little device.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:17 AM

I've got one, and I agree with you. It is a very effective little headphone practice amp and is well worth the modest cost. There have been previous threads here on this subform about it, and the general consensus seems to be very positive. There are just not many downsides to it.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

That looks like a splendid little device. The fact that it also has USB out is a huge plus.

Thanks for posting - I might just have to pick one of these up.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-01-2023, 11:58 AM

I’ve been using it as a practice amp for ages. The Bluetooth connectivity works beautifully - I can run a lesson on my desktop and listen to it through the amp. The tones are really well done and the circuit is very quiet. It also holds its charge really well.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Agree with all the above. A HUGE improvement in quality and function over other “micro amps” that arent even comparable!

One word of caution: apparently they taste like candy to labrador retrievers. Dont ask.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Agree with all the above. A HUGE improvement in quality and function over other “micro amps” that arent even comparable!

One word of caution: apparently they taste like candy to labrador retrievers. Dont ask.
Interestingly, labs (and many other breeds)have expensive tastes. They also enjoy hearing aids, retainers and dentures.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I've been using it to find a new guitar and took it from store-to-store testing one model after another without ever having to give an in-store, live performance.
I thought the "in-store, live performance" was the extra fun part about testing a guitar (in addition to finding that good-sounding guitar).
Old 01-02-2023, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with a remarkable little device. It's a Fender Mustang Micro, an amp about the size of a Bic lighter. You plug it into your guitar and listen to it with headphones. It's a modeler with 12 different amp settings and another 12 effects. It also has Bluetooth capability which allows you to play along with music stored on your cell phone. This is an unbelievably powerful feature. As an everyday practice amp, it's very functional, and I use it constantly.

The reason this post isn't in the "Amplification" section is that I wanted to comment on the use of the device for testing instruments. I've been using it to find a new guitar and took it from store-to-store testing one model after another without ever having to give an in-store, live performance. I just plugged it in and privately listened thru headphones. I sat there playing along with backing tracks, and no one was the wiser.

In the end, for an investment of less than $90, I was able to save $2250 by not selecting the wrong guitar. I highly recommend this little device.

As a shy guitar store player, I never really thought of this when considering a headphone amp. Have heard nothing but great things about that $100 tiny box of wonder.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:33 AM

World's smallest direct to PA rig:

Guitar Gig Bag Pocket Amp (that actually sounds great):

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-03-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:42 AM

Default Couldn't agree more

I've been using one for about 8 months now. So much so that I don't even remember the last time I plugged into my Boss-Katana 50. I have 2 of them and I keep one on the charger at all times so I always have one ready to go. Great little amp.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:41 AM

I agree with your impression of it. Bought two when they first came out, one for home and one for work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars