The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Guitar stand tip

You know those guitar stands that use that kinda flesh coloured surgical rubber to protect the guitar at its contact points? They may not be made any more because the rubber has a habit of perishing and bonding itself to quitars over a period of time, eating into and ruining the lacquer. Anyway, don't throw such a stand away. I have three of them and I recently refurbised them. Measure the diameter of the metal on to which the tubing fits and buy clear plastic tubing the same size diameter (or just above, but not smaller) on Ebay. Cut the tubing to the correct lengths, place it in very hot water for a few minutes to make it pliable, shake and dry it off inside with a hairdryer to stop subsequent corrosion issues, and with the help of a touch of silicon spray or grease (not petroleum based oil or grease!) ease the new tubing into place. Job done; nice new looking guitars stands with clear protection, not horrible brown rubber.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM

Just a tip that may help here. Instead of using grease or silicon to get the tubing on, use a shot of hair spary. We used this all the time to get new grips on our motorcycle handlebars. The spray helps it slide on and when the lacquer drys helps it stay in place.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
...horrible brown rubber.
Hi steve...
Yup that surgical rubber did break down...

I like the idea of the plastic. I just glued felt to mine and it did the trick.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM

I think felt is the better route or cloth. The clear plastic tubing is likely vinyl which will eat into some finishes as badly as the rubber.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion