The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 AM

I would only suggest if you are going to adopt silly affectations, at least color coordinate with the rest of your ensemble.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I think it makes about as much sense as tying a bandana around the neck of your dog.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky_fingers View Post
I tied it loosely over the first fret, to eliminate noise that might occur on the open strings.
Herb Ellis has a device that fastens behind the nut and swings over to dampen the strings behind the first fret. I think it has some sort of rubber on its surface. It's used primarily because many jazz guitarists don't play all six strings in chords and this eliminates the open string sound.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephE View Post
Yeah, whenever you strike the strings pretty hard and then mute it quickly, you hear this faint ringing for a second. I think it's just the strings vibrating a little behind the nut. And once you do notice it, it gets kind of annoying. So tying the scarf on it cuts out the ringing.
I saw Antoine just last week (he opened for a show also featuring Stephen Bennett and Andy McKay) and after the show during the meet-and-greet someone next to me had asked him about the bandanna, and Antoine said this is precisely why he uses it. Me, I was more interested in Andy's Fan Guitar at that point ...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I have a guitar that is very 'shimmery' - annoyingly so. I cut a thin piece of felt an put it under the strings right behind the nut. I find that it helps to cut out the shimmery effect.

Steve
Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephE
Yeah, whenever you strike the strings pretty hard and then mute it quickly, you hear this faint ringing for a second. I think it's just the strings vibrating a little behind the nut. And once you do notice it, it gets kind of annoying. So tying the scarf on it cuts out the ringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
I saw Antoine just last week (he opened for a show also featuring Stephen Bennett and Andy McKay) and after the show during the meet-and-greet someone next to me had asked him about the bandanna, and Antoine said this is precisely why he uses it. Me, I was more interested in Andy's Fan Guitar at that point ...
Sure, but hanging a curtain is a bit extreme. Therefore, it's more of a fashion statement/attention getter if you ask me.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I would only suggest if you are going to adopt silly affectations, at least color coordinate with the rest of your ensemble.
Too cruel, but too true! I had the exact same thought looking at that photo.

I spend almost as much time playing mandolin family instruments as I do guitar family instruments, and the expanse of strings between the bridge and the tailpiece is a particularly annoying contributor of unwanted high end harmonics on mandolins. I deal with it with strips of leather or felt.

When I owned a Weber mandocello, it had the same problem at both ends, so I wove a strip of black felt between the strings between the nut and the tuner posts, as well. It worked just fine.

whm
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM

While watching the video, I got the feeling that it was like the "Emporer's New Clothes"...I did not "hear" the annoying sound he kept trying to demonstrate...of course, it also left me with doubts about my aural acumen...nice job, sport!

I'd rather hang a feather, on a piece of buckskin string, off my guitar, myself...if I were so-inclined...

Maybe I should get my guitars a tattoo...

Ha, just kidding...whatever!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Oh please. ...cancel sympathetic vibrations behind the nut? You've got to be kidding me. Quirky is right.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Too cruel, but too true! I had the exact same thought looking at that photo.

I spend almost as much time playing mandolin family instruments as I do guitar family instruments, and the expanse of strings between the bridge and the tailpiece is a particularly annoying contributor of unwanted high end harmonics on mandolins. I deal with it with strips of leather or felt.

When I owned a Weber mandocello, it had the same problem at both ends, so I wove a strip of black felt between the strings between the nut and the tuner posts, as well. It worked just fine.

whm
To be fair, this guy obviously missed the fashion train anyway but the scarf just makes it worse. Maybe he plays a lot outdoors and needs a windage gauge? Wouldn't give my audiences wind dope but that's just me.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM

perhaps "Guitar Garanimals" would help the ensemble?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Leo Kottke doesn't like the "ring" either, after you stop the strings suddenly. He uses a piece of foam behind the nut!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Leo Kottke doesn't like the "ring" either, after you stop the strings suddenly. He uses a piece of foam behind the nut!

He's just so out of step. He needs one of those 5 foot long flourescent foam pool toys to do his damping.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
He's just so out of step. He needs one of those 5 foot long flourescent foam pool toys to do his damping.
a long flowing wedding dress would be classy, but only for formal gigs.

anyway, this thread reminded me of the van eps string damper, which was to dampen open strings (gasp!) and a quick search turned up this page. it must be a little out of date as the towel hasn't yet appeared, but could be modified to work.
http://www.batten.com/String-Damper-Evolution.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion