The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2024, 04:57 PM

Default Frustrated/Quizzical TCH Play Acoustic newbie needs help!

Pounding through YT videos and on-line tutorials with limited success so here is the first of possibly several questions.

Am I understanding correctly that guitar settings are typically global, i.e., exact same Reverb, Compression, Chorus, Delay, etc. on all Harmony programs but, alternately, can be individually set within a specific Harmony program?

For example, I can have a custom guitar effects program set up with High Harmony but can have a different guitar setting specific to, say, Hotel Cali harmony, also have a guitar setting specific to an Elton John harmony and a specific 12 string setting when I want to use that guitar and so on?

Am I getting this right?

Please chime in with any helpful tips and words of encouragement!!!

Last edited by Slothead56; 02-04-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:12 PM

Not quite sure what you're asking but here goes.

You can create a preset that has specific effects for your guitar as well as specific effects for your voice.

What I did was create a few presets specific for each guitar. I used a Switch 6 to turn chorus on and off for guitar, looping controls, and harmony on/off ("hit"). For a particular guitar I'd have a couple of presets, one with single high vocal harmony (and all the guitar stuff I wanted), another with double high harmony (and all the guitar stuff I wanted). I never used other harmony as I'm a baritone/bass so don't need anything low.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-05-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Not quite sure what you're asking but here goes.

You can create a preset that has specific effects for your guitar as well as specific effects for your voice.

What I did was create a few presets specific for each guitar. I used a Switch 6 to turn chorus on and off for guitar, looping controls, and harmony on/off ("hit"). For a particular guitar I'd have a couple of presets, one with single high vocal harmony (and all the guitar stuff I wanted), another with double high harmony (and all the guitar stuff I wanted). I never used other harmony as I'm a baritone/bass so don't need anything low.
I think this may answer my question…I just have to figure out how to do it!!
Old 02-05-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I think this may answer my question…I just have to figure out how to do it!!
If you can figure out how to get the harmonies you want and guitar fx, then you're most of the way there. Read page 10 of the manual - the STORE button is how you save a preset.

If you don't know how to get the harmony you want or guitar fx, then start at page 37 for the vocal stuff and page 49 for the guitar stuff. Tweak to get what you want, then STORE it.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:45 PM

Ok….thank you all. Another question…

my unit came without the manual but i did download it. Is it possible to duplicate a harmony for two different guitar settings? For example, if I want to add 6 string effects to the Cali Hotel vocals and have a second Cali Hotel specific to 12 string is that doable?
Old 02-05-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Ok….thank you all. Another question…

my unit came without the manual but i did download it. Is it possible to duplicate a harmony for two different guitar settings? For example, if I want to add 6 string effects to the Cali Hotel vocals and have a second Cali Hotel specific to 12 string is that doable?
I don't understand what you mean. The harmony effects are only on the vocal. Guitar has reverb, delay, and chorus (along with eq, comp, notch). For for any given preset, you can set any combination/settings for those, then dial in the specific vocal settings - harmony(s), double, delay, reverb, micro modulation.

If you're talking about using two different guitars (6 and a 12), then you can set up a preset for each with whatever vocal settings you want.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:20 PM

The original firmware allowed only global guitar settings. This means each different vocal preset has the exact same guitar effect/preset. Later, they came out with an update of the firmware that allowed different guitar presets but many of the new units in the box still had the original firmware. Not sure which version you have.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:13 PM

Brand new from one of our sponsors.

I’m not doing a very good job of describing what I want to do. Let me try again…assuming my firmware is updated:
Sometimes I gig with just a 6 string, sometimes with a 12 string and a 6 string. I like to play Hotel California.

If I only have my 6 string, can I set up specific guitar settings for the Cali Hotel harmonies? Perhaps a bit more Chorus and delay than normal. ( I assume the answer is yes).

However, if I have my 12 string with me (and assuming it needs different guitar parameters-less chorus perhaps) can I have a duplicate Cali Hotel harmony setting with those 12 string parameters?
Old 02-05-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I’m not doing a very good job of describing what I want to do. Let me try again…assuming my firmware is updated:
Sometimes I gig with just a 6 string, sometimes with a 12 string and a 6 string. I like to play Hotel California.

If I only have my 6 string, can I set up specific guitar settings for the Cali Hotel harmonies? Perhaps a bit more Chorus and delay than normal. ( I assume the answer is yes).

However, if I have my 12 string with me (and assuming it needs different guitar parameters-less chorus perhaps) can I have a duplicate Cali Hotel harmony setting with those 12 string parameters?
Yes you can. The only item that you might have to change between guitars is the input gain. Maybe you have an onboard system to help that?
Old 02-05-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Yes. You would do:

Preset 1
settings for 6-string guitar (more chorus and delay)
whatever harmonies you want on vocals

Preset 2
settings for 12-string guitar (less chorus/delay/whatever)
whatever harmonies you want on vocals

And so on. I used to have a preset for steel string with one vocal harmony, another preset for steel string with two harmonies, another preset for nylon string with one harmony, etc...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification