The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2024, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Back to my old nemesis: a cheap, beatable, decent sounding acoustic-electric...

Hey All

After nearly a decade away, I've returned to my old comfort zone: in front of full rhythm section banging aggressively on an acoustic and yelping out mostly up-tempo originals and covers.

I own three really nice acoustics and none of them really fit the bill of what I'm after:

1. Smallish neck, even shortscale (like my '64 Martin 000).

2. Cheap and gig-able, something I can haul all over, take to bars, leave in hot cars etc and not worry about (so not the Martin...or the 000 12-fret/slotted headstock Stew Mac kit I built...which turned out too delicate...and I need a longer neck for lead stuff).

3. Sounds great or good enough plugged in AT LOUD VOLUMES, with HARD strumming (which I could never really quite nail with K&K Pure Minis) and I could care less what it sounds like unplugged.

4. Seriously cheap. Like $300 bucks, $400 tops, 10-20 years backdated, pawn shop sleeper.

Closest I got before quitting the search (and performing) were those Epiphone Masterbilts. I picked up a couple similar cheap Guilds at GC awhile back and thought they might work, but I haven't heard them plugged in....

When I started down this road a couple years ago I thought maybe a used Taylor mini.

Then like a fool I thought "well I'll just build something!" and spent 18 months going down that wormhole. I love what I built but it won't tolerate the abuse, or, well, I don't want to abuse it (also, when I play it aggressively it looks up and says, in its best Michael Jackson voice, "I'm a lover night a fighter...") so back to square one.

Is this a unicorn?

Last edited by tdrake; 01-31-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Used Enya X4 pro. Or X3 pro, which would be a little less coin.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
Used Enya X4 pro. Or X3 pro, which would be a little less coin.
Carbon Fiber was my first thought, too. That would cover the hard handling and neglect you mentioned. I haven't heard one played at LOUD volumes, but I don't see why it wouldn't be any better or worse than another.

One thing that stands out to me is your point #4: Cheap. This reminds me of the old joke about, "You want it good, accurate and cheap? Pick two out of the three." At the price point you're suggesting, I'd speculate that any guitar would likely fit the bill. But you'll have to replace it every couple of years or so...
Old 01-31-2024, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Not too long ago, you'd see a lot of decent-sounding Takamine guitars that would generally fit this bill, though I don't know enough about the line to recommend one--there's tons across many price points on Reverb. I see around 2,500 of all types, and 1,400 priced at $200-$700 (my arbitrary search filter). Many are new, so I'd hope good used deals are out there.

Among other things I was under the impression that they either had laminate sides, or were built thicker, or both, which gave them a hardy reputation. Many would say they didn't sound the greatest acoustically but were good amplified stage guitars.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
Hey All

After nearly a decade away, I've returned to my old comfort zone: in front of full rhythm section banging aggressively on an acoustic and yelping out mostly up-tempo originals and covers.

I own three really nice acoustics and none of them really fit the bill of what I'm after:

1. Smallish neck, even shortscale (like my '64 Martin 000).

2. Cheap and gig-able, something I can haul all over, take to bars, leave in hot cars etc and not worry about (so not the Martin...or the 000 12-fret/slotted headstock Stew Mac kit I built...which turned out too delicate...and I need a longer neck for lead stuff).

3. Sounds great or good enough plugged in AT LOUD VOLUMES, with HARD strumming (which I could never really quite nail with K&K Pure Minis) and I could care less what it sounds like unplugged.

4. Seriously cheap. Like $300 bucks, $400 tops, 10-20 years backdated, pawn shop sleeper.

Closest I got before quitting the search (and performing) were those Epiphone Masterbilts. I picked up a couple similar cheap Guilds at GC awhile back and thought they might work, but I haven't heard them plugged in....

When I started down this road a couple years ago I thought maybe a used Taylor mini.

Then like a fool I thought "well I'll just build something!" and spent 18 months going down that wormhole. I love what I built but it won't tolerate the abuse, or, well, I don't want to abuse it (also, when I play it aggressively it looks up and says, in its best Michael Jackson voice, "I'm a lover night a fighter...") so back to square one.

Is this a unicorn?
Perhaps you just didn't end up with the right "something"!

Old 01-31-2024, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

the OP's question exactly described my own situation and I have been chasing this ghost for a couple years now.

I believe I finally got it.

Ibanez Artwood AC240 or AC340 $200-$400
Dimarzio Elemental soundhole pickup $60
Switchcraft jack to make installaiton permanent

This solution worked so well for me, I made a second such set up

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-31-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Do a tour of the bottom rack laminate guitars in a guitar shop (recording king, Yamaha, etc). Pick something that feels right in your hands and will give you the playability you want after a set-up. Go for the version without a p/u.

Fit a soundhole mag p/u of your choosing.

And you're away!

Edit: Fazool just posted the same thoughts as I was typing!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Fit a soundhole mag p/u of your choosing.
This! The Baggs M1 is my fave for that kind of thing. And in a rock setting, I think small bass amps sound best with them, but maybe that's just me.

Couch Standards
Old 01-31-2024, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

THANKS ALL!

The "find something cheap that feels right and stick a sound hole p'up in it" definitely makes more sense over searching for something with passable in house electronics...and a sound hole pickup probably is what I need, anyway, for my scenario.

Thanks again!

td
Old 01-31-2024, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Perhaps you just didn't end up with the right "something"!

You may indeed be right and I'd really, really like to do some more builds.

Was that a kit or scratch-built?

This was mine....

Old 01-31-2024, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

The Enya x4 pro mini is currently 407 new at Amazon. Best price ive ever seen them. The x4 pro fullsize is also under 500
Old 01-31-2024, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Art and Lutherie… legacy Havana brown.

They list for $799 but you can get them under $600, and it has a pickup and a great vibe. Laminated Cherry back and sides. Cedar top.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
You may indeed be right and I'd really, really like to do some more builds.

Was that a kit or scratch-built?

This was mine....

That's a nice looking build.

Mine is totally scratch built including body design, details HERE.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:36 PM

Ibanez AAM series? Right size, without (or with) pickup, and dirt cheap.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-natural
Old 02-01-2024, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I would go with a cheap Ibanez acoustic like the one below and stick a Baggs M1 Passive in the soundhole. I gigged an Ibanez AVC6DTS with a M1 for years and it sounded great, especially when fronting a full band.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...n-pore-natural
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification