The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2024, 03:09 PM

Default Everse 8 sound comparisonto Mackie Thump Go

New Mackie Showbox coming out with great features but will properly sound very similar with same 8"woofer, tweeter, as the Thump Go. In my opinion the Everse 8 has a more full range sound with a cleaner high end. EV App is head and shoulders better!
I have both.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HESRrKdGto&t=3s

Last edited by wweiss; 02-04-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:00 PM

Nice one!

No phantom power as user Silverspur recently pointed out that we all missed which is a big win for EVERSE8. Also love the High-Z input for passive pickups on the EV. No Mackie app compatibility as I mentioned (love the fully fledged 7 band GEQ mixer, high pass filter, and wireless mixing capability from afar on the EV).

Last edited by jpino; 02-04-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:06 PM

One relative selling point for the Showbox is you don't need an app - you have actual knobs that can be positioned where you play. For some, not a big deal. Others prefer not to use an app.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-04-2024, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

What is the dispersion on the two? How about the EVERSE 12?
Old 02-04-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
One relative selling point for the Showbox is you don't need an app - you have actual knobs that can be positioned where you play. For some, not a big deal. Others prefer not to use an app.
Trying to use the EV app sometimes results in my desiring to use the Everse 8 for target practice. Recently, it has somehow defaulted to muting itself whether or not I've unmuted it with the app. Always a crowd favorite when there are 40-50 seniors staring at me waiting to hear something other than me cursing under my breath.

Maybe the Mackie won't sound quite as good, but having physical knobs to work with is worth its weight it gold (to me).
Old 02-04-2024, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
Trying to use the EV app sometimes results in my desiring to use the Everse 8 for target practice. Having physical knobs to work with is worth its weight it gold (to me).
That’s why I sold my Everse 8 - loved the sound, but hated the controls.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
Trying to use the EV app sometimes results in my desiring to use the Everse 8 for target practice. Recently, it has somehow defaulted to muting itself whether or not I've unmuted it with the app. Always a crowd favorite when there are 40-50 seniors staring at me waiting to hear something other than me cursing under my breath.

Maybe the Mackie won't sound quite as good, but having physical knobs to work with is worth its weight it gold (to me).
yeah, I'm interested to see about the sound. I have a 30M that I use on occasion when I need to fill a larger space but most of the time I gig with a Henriksen Bud 10 for guitar/dobro/vox. No app, just knobs, never flaky.

I have an Everse 8 briefly - figured it would be a great smaller solution than the 30M and I could combine them and use the app, etc. All great in theory, in practice I found it annoying at times. Plus I use my phone to take requests at gigs, so I don't want to be running the app on that, and use my iPad for charts/lyrics.

Looking back no gear that required an app to get full function lasted long with me - QSC mixer, UA pedals, Source Audio pedals, etc. I am digitally competent and have been for decades. When it comes to live performance though, I prefer to be as analog as possible. Totally ymmv.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-05-2024, 03:29 AM

As someone relatively new to gigging, only been doing it for the past 2 years, I really value predictability and consistency over anything else in a live performance situation (including in fellow bandmates).

I've owned an Everse 8 and have gigged with it for the past 11 months, and still approach each performance worrying if something will go wrong that I won't be able to figure out while the audience and the activities director sit and stare. Annoying (and nerve wracking) is exactly what comes to mind.

Fingers crossed that the Mackie Showbox will sound and work well enough to replace my Everse 8.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:16 AM

I have little experience with Mackie speakers.
But as said in another thread - Love the little Everse.

I use the Everse a lot in my home studio as well as some gigs.

The EV App is essential to use the Everse 8. Because the tiny interface screen on the speaker is way to difficult to use.

But it’s sometimes a hassle having to fire up iPad every time I want to use it.

So I am actually looking forward to physical knobs on the ShowBox.

Hoping the sound is good on the SB.. too.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:48 AM

Default Ev Everse 8

OK, here’s my real life experience using the Everse 8. I’ve been using this speaker for about a year and I’ve got to say it has been able to handle just about every solo/duo gig I’ve played. I’ve used it in larger rooms and in small wineries and it sounds great. Plenty of volume and a good full sound. Using the app took a little getting used to but now that I have it set it’s pretty much plug and play. I use an iPad for lyrics display and midi playback. When I do a solo gig, I just need the speaker without an external mixer, but when I play duo with my wife, I need an extra microphone input so I bring a small Yamaha mixer and split the first channel in the Everse 8.

This little speaker has been rock solid. The only changes I would suggest for future Ev products would be to add one additional channel, offer a version with a 10 inch speaker and sell a version without the battery. (I’ve never been busking and always have power available.)

I used to use Mackie speakers for my bigger stage setup but sold them and got a pair of Ev’s that were lighter and frankly sounded better. When I find gear, I like, I usually keep it for a while. Bottom line is, I really like the Everse eight for its portability, sound and convenient mixer. I wish they sold a better case/cover. I ended up buying something on Amazon and putting a very thick pad on the bottom of the case to protect the speaker.

I read a lot of these evaluations and take many with a grain of salt. This has been my honest experience. But, don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:27 PM

Everse 10 with more power? Wondering on this website how many acoustic/duos need more power than 121 dB? Properly besides more volume they would need longer throw and dispersion and go for the EV30. Lack of a third channel is the obvious weakness. Less expensive model without battery would be an interesting option.

Last edited by wweiss; 02-05-2024 at 02:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification