The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2024, 07:45 AM

If the price is in fact that high then I might be out as well. That's a big investment and would have to be a game changer.

Just to add, I know it's only been a few demos so far at NAMM, but the internal mic does sound far less direct than the tru-mic, which Baggs have basically confirmed. To me, it sounds almost more like a typical internal mic that's picking up everything. That isn't a bad thing, but it kind of seems as though it will be hard to run mostly mic in most situations. Even in the NAMM video for Premier Guitar, when the guitar player blends all the way to the mic with the HiFI carrying the lows, the mic seems to be picking up quite a bit of noise.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I don’t have NAMMthrax and I DO have high quality videos of the HiFi Duet that I will post on my channel this week. Subscribe to my channel to be notified! Also some news from Fishman and others!
I’m looking forward to your video—already a subscriber
Old 01-30-2024, 02:44 PM

In the interview, the guy from Baggs basically said this was an alternative to the Anthem for people that don't want an undersaddle pickup in their guitar. He also said it was more like a "mic in the studio" type of sound. He also never claimed it was going to sound better than the Anthem...just "different". I'll stick with the Anthem SL for $199 thank you.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
In the interview, the guy from Baggs basically said this was an alternative to the Anthem for people that don't want an undersaddle pickup in their guitar. He also said it was more like a "mic in the studio" type of sound. He also never claimed it was going to sound better than the Anthem...just "different". I'll stick with the Anthem SL for $199 thank you.

If the new mic turns out to be THAT good, I could see them swapping the mic into the Anthem and boom $400 Anthems and $300 Anthem SLs.

For what it’s worth, the Anthem SL is my favorite all-in-one that I’ve messed with. I haven’t put hands on a full Anthem but I’m sure it’s great as well.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 01-30-2024, 07:40 PM

As already mentioned, an SL is highly regarded with a bazillion happy folks, and at 2 benjamins, is wholly do-able. The Duet will have to be amaaaazing on top of the already excellent SL to justify its lofty tag. Were the SL crappy sounding, then maybe sound would think hmmm...

Lots of speculation here, to be sure. But given the SL is a known entity and the Duet's price has been released, it may be a tough sell for Baggs to get folks on board with this one. No hating here as I have been a long-time Baggs user and have praised their wares for well over a decade. Just musing aloud is all

Edward
Old 01-30-2024, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also some news from Fishman and others!
Aloha Aaron,

Very interested to hear about what is new at Fishman. Looks like they had no announcements at Namm?
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 01-31-2024, 07:25 AM

I just watched Aaron's video of the new pickup at NAMM. Thanks for doing that by the way! I am happy to hear that tweaks are still being made. In the video it does sound very good, but if it can be improved even more than that's great. I personally can't see myself or many artists using the full blend of mic. Even in the NAMM direct recordings, it seems to pick up a lot of noise. Maybe not a lot but you can clearly hear when it's blended in how much it's picking up. I do really like the 50/50 blend though. I feel that with the mic, a little goes a long way.

On a side note, the Fishman news is exciting as well but I wonder how big it will be considering they hardly advertised anything? I don't even think I saw any videos from NAMM at the Fishman booth.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Aloha Aaron,

Very interested to hear about what is new at Fishman. Looks like they had no announcements at Namm?
3 more mini pedals including the compressor which I am very happy about. I’m going to find a day or two to demo them all in one video once I recover from the NAMM trip!
Old 01-31-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
3 more mini pedals including the compressor which I am very happy about. I’m going to find a day or two to demo them all in one video once I recover from the NAMM trip!
I feel as though Fishman really need to step up their game as they are falling behind Baggs. Pedals are neat, but are not really doing anything all that new, although a dedicated compressor is great. I would love an update Aura pedal.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I feel as though Fishman really need to step up their game as they are falling behind Baggs. Pedals are neat, but are not really doing anything all that new, although a dedicated compressor is great. I would love an update Aura pedal.
And I guess Fishman is out of the stick PA business for good, given no successor to the SA330x.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:04 PM

Smile

I purchased the LR Baggs Hi Fi today . I haven’t had a chance to try it properly . My luthier gave a quick demo on the electric amp in the workshop . I will hear it properly on Monday through My AER compact 60 on Monday as I’m away for the weekend .
Sone folks say it’s best used together with a good eq pedal .it’s cheaper then the LR Baggs anthem . It’s a bit like the K& K the way it’s installed . It sounded a bit bright but that wax cause if the new strings the elixir 12 53’s polyweb . I have fitted it into a Ashbury dreadnought .

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification