The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-25-2015, 05:34 PM

Default Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple.

What a heap of rubbish. Laminated Flamed Maple back and sides. That, they don't tell you in the full specs - they oughta !!
What point is there in putting an Ebony fingerboard on ANY Nylon string guitar , Elec / Acoustic or otherwise, if it has Laminated back and sides ? That's just plain dumb. As for the Fishman Presys PreAmp Piezo : Total garbage.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Would you call Ramirez a bunch of garbage?

https://www.forsyths.co.uk/guitars/c...ez-2ncwe-.html

This guitar, which works out at around $2,700, has a solid cedar top and laminated rosewood back and sides. I played one in GC in 2007, where they were asking $2,500, I think, and I should have bought it. It was a gorgeously constructed instrument and sounded divine.

I've also played the 'garbage' you mention (the 12-fret model, which I prefer). It's a very nice guitar and very competitively priced. As a matter of fact, it's on my 'maybe' list. Laminated back and sides do not add up to a crap guitar unworthy of a high quality fretboard.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy68 View Post
What a heap of rubbish. Laminated Flamed Maple back and sides. That, they don't tell you in the full specs - they oughta !!
What point is there in putting an Ebony fingerboard on ANY Nylon string guitar , Elec / Acoustic or otherwise, if it has Laminated back and sides ? That's just plain dumb. As for the Fishman Presys PreAmp Piezo : Total garbage.
Dont think you are being fair. I own three guitars that are solid top with laminated maple back and sids, koa back and sides, and rosewood back and sides. One is the Cordoba Fusion 12. It did need a few of its frets cleaned up a bit but other than that plays and sounds like a champ. The spruce and Koa Kazuo yairi is an amazing guitar, perfect neck, body shape, amazing tone. Laminated does not always mean cheap and trash. Call Cordoba, maybe you bought a lemon, happens, see if they will make it right.

Last edited by GHS; 11-26-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Hi, Why did you buy it. Return it to the store and get another one. I have
a Cordoba C10 and a Cordoba F7 and I am very happy with both. One is
clasical with solid woods and the F7 Flamenco has laminated sides and back
but still sound super. What is it that you dislike about your guitar, Sound,
build quality, or ?????
Norman2
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
in fact, they do. sadly, in the world of guitar specs, most companies rarely explicitly state when woods are laminates. rather, they state when the woods are solid, and the savvy consumer knows that those woods not specifically notes as "solid" are laminate. that is what cordoba does in their full specs.

cordoba are not alone in this practice, pretty much all the manufacturers do it. i think it is mildly deceiptive, but it is unfair to single out cordoba.

Quote:
...What point is there in putting an Ebony fingerboard on ANY Nylon string guitar , Elec / Acoustic or otherwise, if it has Laminated back and sides ? That's just plain dumb. As for the Fishman Presys PreAmp Piezo : Total garbage.
i'm not seeing the relationship between an ebony fingerboard and the type of back and sides.

welcome to the forum, btw.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Having owned many nylon and steel stringed guitars with laminated back and sides, and with solid back and sides... I don't get your outrage/disgust. Having a solid top is the biggest difference and what really counts. Despite my current main gigging nylon being a Cordoba FCWE Reissie with all-solid construction, I just ordered a Rodriguez FLMOD550 (laminated body) as a backup and expect it to be a fine guitar. As far as Cordoba goes, I also owned a 55FCE, GK Pro and GK Studio... ALL were great guitars and most definitely NOT "garbage". In fact, I'd rate the Chinese GK Pro the best of them... (both the FCWE and 55FCE were made in Spain).
Old 11-26-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've also played the 'garbage' you mention (the 12-fret model, which I prefer). It's a very nice guitar and very competitively priced. As a matter of fact, it's on my 'maybe' list. Laminated back and sides do not add up to a crap guitar unworthy of a high quality fretboard.
+1 to this. I have a Fusion 14 RS (the name has changed a little over the years) and it's also a very nice guitar. I'd prefer a 12-fret model, but at the time they only made the Fusion with a 14-fret neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical