The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM

Default Getting started

I've been playing guitar for many years. Folk, country, bluegrass and the like. I would like to begin studying classical. Where is a good place to start? Are there any books designed for someone beginning classical, but versed in guitar itself...
Old 11-08-2015, 04:00 PM

If you can comfortably read standard notation, collections of guitar studies by Sor, Giuliani, and Carulli would be good starting points. Otherwise, I'd recommend Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique along with Scott Tennant's Pumping Nylon.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 AM

You can try at this site. It takes a little getting used to, but they have practices and songs to take you through a course year by year.
You have to introduce yourself first, then make a 2nd post before being able to download the yearly courses. After that you have to make a post per month, but if you make 10 posts in 1 month, you're good for 10 months.
A little bit of a disciplined forum run by a music professor from France.
Mostly in notation, but has some tablature.
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...53cfe0b1945b79
Old 11-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Frederick Noad has a good method book. I think your prior experience with guitar will be helpful, but I'd still advise you to start with the basics. Honestly, a few lessons from a qualified teacher (of classical, and not a generalist) would also be advised. Posture and right hand mechanics are a big part of producing the most pleasing and consistent tone. You can learn those on your own, certainly, but a few lessons might save you time.

I also like the Sagreras method, but it is mostly just progressive little pieces. Noad is a little more instructional.

BTW, Noad says his method book 1 is "at least 2 years of study." Looked at that way, it's a small investment.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 PM

Aaron Shearer's "Classical Guitar Technique" is excellent. If you can already play guitar, you can spend some time perfecting the small details that go into how to execute the rest stroke (apoyando) and free stroke (tirando) and the various combinations of the two. There is also a volume II of the series.
It is very thorough and leaves no stone unturned. It also moves along at a good pace so you don't develop too many bad habits. Once you have worked through the two volumes, some of the classic works such as the carcassi method, the aguado method and many others will make more sense. It will also give you the technical facility to take on the collected studies of Fernando Sor, Tarrega, Giuliani and the other giants.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical