The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Yamaha NTX1200R vs Takamine TC135SC

Besides the Takamine's extra frets and "cool tube" technology, are there any other major differences? Specifically, does the Takamine have a deeper (thicker) body?

I'm trying to understand why the Takamine's street price is so much higher than the Yamaha's ($1699 vs $999)? Japan vs China build, perhaps? (I read somewhere that the Yamaha is built in China.)

I'm coming from the world of electric guitars, so I want a 14-fret nylon crossover with the narrower nut. I think I have it down to these two guitars, though I'm still considering the much slimmer Carvin CL450. I had one of those years ago and know that it's the most similar to playing a Stratocaster. I also know that with its super-thin body it doesn't sound that great unplugged, and the unplugged sound is my primary concern. I doubt I will ever play my acoustic through an amp so I don't really care about the electronics.

Speaking of the Carvin's thin body, is there any difference in body thickness between the Takamine TC135SC and TC132SC? I know the more traditional 132 has a wider nut and fewer frets, but are the bodies otherwise the same?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Hi, Take a look at the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE. It seems to fit what you are looking
for. It is also superior to Yamaha and Takamine. Price is around 799.00. Regards
Norman2
PS: It is designed for people that play electric guitars 48mm neck width, radiused, fingerboard, 14 frets, and cutaway with electronics.

Last edited by Norman2; 11-22-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM

What's better about the Cordoba? The specs seem to be basically identical.

Do you know whether the Takamine 135's body is the same thickness as the 132's, or is it a slimline, similar to the difference between the Yamaha NTX1200R vs the thicker NCX2000R?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I used to own the Takamine TC132SC. It was a very nice, well-made instrument. I liked it a lot. It's been a few years since I had that one.

I've had four Cordobas (three high-end, and one low-end GK Studio model) and really liked them all.

I'm also a big Yamaha fan (currently owning two Yamaha electrics, a mixing board, studio monitors, and a motorcycle). I wanted to like the Yamaha NTX line, but comparing them directly to the Cordobas that I ended-up owning, the Yamahas just seemed lifeless. Maybe they're built sturdier or something (with heavy bracing). But they just didn't have the lively, explosive feel and tone that I got from the Cordobas. I can't compare the Cordobas directly to the Takamine though, because it's been so long since I owned it. My gut feeling is that I'd still choose the Cordobas if I A/B'd them to the Takamine. But that's for me and my tastes. I prefer the snap and punch of flamenco-oriented guitars to the mellow tone of guitars more aimed at classical or jazz.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
What's better about the Cordoba? The specs seem to be basically identical.

Do you know whether the Takamine 135's body is the same thickness as the 132's, or is it a slimline, similar to the difference between the Yamaha NTX1200R vs the thicker NCX2000R?
The Cordoba has a truss rod which helps to adjust the action. Regards
Norman
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM

Norman2, the Takamine TC135SC also has a two-way-adjustable truss rod. Otherwise, the only differences I can see between the Cordoba and the Takamine are the Takamine's extra frets, "cool tube" technology, solid sides and back vs laminate for the Cordoba, and Japan vs China build.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 AM

Hi, Some people like brunettes and some people like blondes. I happen to
prefer the Cordoba. Regards
Norman2
PS: I hope he gets the one he really likes. That is the most important factor

Last edited by Norman2; 11-24-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Love my cordoba! Not sure I would buy tak or yam! Played both and prefer what I bought which is a flamenco with low action and great sound!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 AM

To go back to your original question, which did not include Cordoba, the Tak and the Yammy are pretty similar in that they both have a long-scale 14-fret neck, 1 7/8" nut width, solid spruce tops and rosewood back and sides. One difference is that the Tak has laminated sides, while the Yamaha is all solid. They both have state-of-the-art pickup systems. I've owned the Tak 135 and played the maple version of the 1200 in GC. The Tak is deeper bodied, which may result in a more pleasing acoustic sound. As you say, however, the Tak is quite a bit more expensive than the Yamaha. I'd guess that your Japan vs. China thought could be right, especially when you consider that Takamine charges much less for its non-Japanese series.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 PM

I wanted to love the Tak 135, as I really like the steel string Cool Tube models, but was underwhelmed with the amplified sound. It's the prettiest shape of all I checked out, too. The day I went to play a 135, my buddy pulled out this funky used Carvin, thin body, very fast, shallow neck, and beautifully built. To my surprise, I loved the plugged in sound. My CL 450, Koa/Mahogany has been such a useful tool for me. Through my Bose L1, and a reverb pedal, it's perfect for my needs. That said, I am gassing for a more percussive tone, that sounds like a flamenco style build.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 PM

I bought and played the Yamaha NTX1200R for about a year before gifting it to my son. I bought it for its plugged sound only. I wanted a guitar with steel string-like construction and playability with the sound of nylon strings plugged in. I really have no use for the sound of a plugged steel string guitar. Nylon strings sound so much better to me. I play nylon almost exclusively plugged now. I sometimes mic my classical but otherwise prefer to be plugged (Nady wireless system) for most of my playing. Every now and then I'll play a steel string unplugged and usually in some alternate tuning.

The Yamaha has a fairly narrow nut. I removed and replaced it with a wider one that better suited me. The E strings still had plenty of edge clearance after the new nut was installed. I like the Yamaha electronics. Always have. I have no experience with any other guitar maker's stock on-boards. I don't need to. The NTX1200R's unplugged sound isn't as compelling as a decent low cost classical so I can't say I bought it for that.

Now I play a Yamaha classical with their on-board system (CG-110CE), which I've had for about 8 years, and have again become accustomed to the wider flat board after the NTX1200R went to my son.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical