The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Creative quoting

Can someone please instruct me on how to, for instance, pull a sentence from a post and quote it in my post?

Also, can you then tell me how to pull sentences from various posts and quote them in my post?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Morning,

To quote... go to the post you want to quote and click quote (on lower right). Then edit around the part you want to keep if you don't want to quote it all.

Multi-quote uses the quotations symbols on the lower right of a post. There is a how-to around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.....

This is in the FAQs on how to multi-quote. Try it and let me know if you have questions...

"If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button Multi quote. This button will change to indicate that you've selected it. Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted."

Multi-quote button is to right of Quote on the bottom right and looks like quotation marks.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Can someone please instruct me on how to, for instance, pull a sentence from a post and quote it in my post?

Also, can you then tell me how to pull sentences from various posts and quote them in my post?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
I used the "Quote" button on your post and then saved your entire post and then pasted it here in my response.

I can also left mouse click on the "Go Advanced" button and delete parts of your post that are extraneous to some comment I might want to make. So for example after editing in the "Go Advanced" mode, I can have this from your quote:

Quote:
Can someone please instruct me on how to, for instance, pull a sentence from a post and quote it in my post?...
Note that I added the "..." to indicate that was more in your full quote.

I hope this is helpful.

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Like this? I just click the quote button then click to place a cursor near the area you want to delete and back button remove the text you don't want. Make sure not to disturb the [ ] area of the quote and you're good to go.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I used the "Quote" button on your post and then saved your entire post and then pasted it here in my response.

I can also left mouse click on the "Go Advanced" thingy and delete pants of your post that I don't like.

So for example after editing in the "Go Advanced" mode, I can have this from your quote:

Hi Glenn, Long Jon in bold here , (so you can see me,) this seems over complicated to me ....

Note that I added the "..." to indicate that was more in your full quote.

I hope this is helpful.

- Glenn
Note that I can even insert my text right into your text and have also altered your original text.
My point being that I never had to touch the advanced settings to do this, I have only ever used that when I need to go back and alter a title in a thread I started.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM

If I want to quote from more than one post in the same thread, what I do is go along the thread and right-click on the quote buttons from each post I want to respond to. I click on "Open link in a new window" on each one, select the text I'm responding to, edit out the rest of it, then copy the entire remaining text block and insert it into my own post that I'm writing.

That way the quote blocks have the correct user name attributions on them.

whm
Old 08-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

When doing this "Creative Quoting", please be careful not to change the intent of any of the quoted folks by changing the context in which whatever was quoted, was said. This can happen by leaving out some text before or after the quoted text, that gives that text the meaning the author intended.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
When doing this "Creative Quoting", please be careful not to change the intent of any of the quoted folks by changing the context in which whatever was quoted, was said. This can happen by leaving out some text before or after the quoted text, that gives that text the meaning the author intended.

Tony
You'll never get a job in todays newsitainment industry this way.

cotten
Old 08-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
When doing this "Creative Quoting", please . . . change the intent of any of the quoted folks by changing the context in which whatever was quoted, was said.
Tony, I can't believe you would advocate such a thing!

Seriously, though, the folks who do that already know they're doing that because they're doing it on purpose. For those who aren't doing it intentionally, the admonishment should be to read more carefully before responding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic