The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Deliverance Dueling Banjos

I am so hooked on this video right now. Just wish I could play it that fast and that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5IpFQn18WM

http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/i...afv-468x60.jpg
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM

I too enjoy the song.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Rob has a short version of that tune....

http://www.youtube.com/user/robboura...87/Xi5XNC-fC0c
Old 08-08-2010, 01:07 PM

I just watched that movie last night. I've heard SOOOOO much about it as if it's become a part of our pop culture. I've even quoted it, though I'd never seen it. I said "you sure got a purdy mouth" when the quote was really "he got a purdy mouth ain't he?"
Anyway, it was hard to tell if that kid was playing the banjo or not. I'm guessing not. Though I've spent a fair amount of time in the hills of Appalachia and have seen some players that could run circles around any Tommy, Hodges, Leo, etc.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Anyway, it was hard to tell if that kid was playing the banjo or not. etc.
"Redden, then sixteen, earned his role in Deliverance during a casting call at Clayton Elementary School in Clayton, Georgia. To add authenticity and humor to the film, the filmmakers found Redden to fit the look of the inbred and mentally retarded banjo boy called for by the book, although Redden himself is neither. The scene depicts Redden playing the instrumental Dueling Banjos opposite actor Ronny Cox on guitar. Because Redden could not really play the banjo, another young banjo player knelt behind him and reached around his chest to reach the banjo, with Redden wearing a specially made shirt that made the man’s arms appear to be his own. Additionally, the shot was filmed from angles that made it impossible to see the musician behind Redden on the porch."
Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjay540 View Post
"Redden, then sixteen, earned his role in Deliverance during a casting call at Clayton Elementary School in Clayton, Georgia. To add authenticity and humor to the film, the filmmakers found Redden to fit the look of the inbred and mentally retarded banjo boy called for by the book, although Redden himself is neither. The scene depicts Redden playing the instrumental Dueling Banjos opposite actor Ronny Cox on guitar. Because Redden could not really play the banjo, another young banjo player knelt behind him and reached around his chest to reach the banjo, with Redden wearing a specially made shirt that made the man’s arms appear to be his own. Additionally, the shot was filmed from angles that made it impossible to see the musician behind Redden on the porch."
Interesting, thanks for that info. As I still had the DVD in my computer, I just watched that scene again and there were only two little spots where it looked as though they might be hiding someone. The did a really good job with that.
BTW: would it be a good thing or a bad thing to be cast as an inbred, mentally retarded kid based on your "look"?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
I just watched that movie last night.
Slightly off topic but I was not right for awhile after I saw that movie. Made me ask deep questions like, "Chuck Norris will appear and save the day, won't he? Please?"

Other movies that had the same effect on me included "Southern Comfort" and the one with the weird girl with the long hair crawling out of the TV. I have to quickly get these movies out of my system by immediately watching Ralph Macchio tear it up with Vai in Crossroads or funny football movies like the Replacements and The Longest Yard.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
...but I was not right for awhile after I saw that movie. Made me ask deep questions like, "Chuck Norris will appear and save the day, won't he? Please?"

Other movies that had the same effect on me included "Southern Comfort" and the one with the weird girl with the long hair crawling out of the TV.
I have yet to see the whole movie, I've just seen the Dueling Banjos part and another part that made me so sick to my stomach I could only watch half of it. As you know, when you watch any video on You Tube off to the side it has "related videos" so I decided to watch the "Squeal Like a Pig" scene from the movie. Bad idea

http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/i...afv-468x60.jpg
Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM

LOL this is the song my wife and I sing every time we end up lost in the middle of nowhere KY or WV...which happens way too often.

Lowden O25C
Martin OOO 1935
Gibson 335 custom
'68 Reissue Custom Fender Strat
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Slightly off topic but I was not right for awhile after I saw that movie.
Years ago, I had a roommate who loved scary movies, but she was more used to the type of movies that had monsters and such. One day I asked her, "Want to see a REALLY scary movie?"..and I had her watch "Deliverance". It totally messed with her.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlburger View Post
I have yet to see the whole movie, I've just seen the Dueling Banjos part and another part that made me so sick to my stomach I could only watch half of it. As you know, when you watch any video on You Tube off to the side it has "related videos" so I decided to watch the "Squeal Like a Pig" scene from the movie. Bad idea

I was in your neck of the woods last month - Hartford I think. I did white water rafting and bought a shirt that said something like, "Paddle harder! I hear dueling banjos!"

Fun times.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
Years ago, I had a roommate who loved scary movies, but she was more used to the type of movies that had monsters and such. One day I asked her, "Want to see a REALLY scary movie?"..and I had her watch "Deliverance". It totally messed with her.

Yeah it should be put away in a spaceship with "requiem for a dream" and "8mm" the last being the more twisted i remember.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM

I'm also a big fan of Dueling Banjos. If you've never heard the version by the incredible Martin Tallstrom, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvMUfLp1zI

There's a weird visual effect at the beginning of the video (deliberately grainy black and white), but it shifts to normal pretty quickly. Good sound quality -- and when I see how easily this guy plays, I can't decide if I want to hug him or hit him...

Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=PWoolson;2309145
BTW: would it be a good thing or a bad thing to be cast as an inbred, mentally retarded kid based on your "look"?[/QUOTE]

In some circles, that would be a high compliment to a banjo player.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
My roommate in college was a big, tough, baseball player (really). When "Play Misty For Me" (Clint Eastwood) came out, he went to see it. He had the sweats and shimmies for days afterwards...

A little lighter version of DB, with a twist, by Mike Rayburn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL4AHEnphT4

rr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic