The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2023, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Default D'addario XS strings ? (I don't do coated.so...)

I mostly use D'addario Ej16/17 and Martin MA540/550, but its been a difficult year for strings out on stands - exceptionally high humidity.

During a minor brainstorm recently I found myself ordering three sets of "XSAPB1253" (Snappy title) basically XS coated lights.

I fitted a set each on my Collings and Eastman 00s this afternoon to do a comparison video.
I got them from Amazon Prime on a "Black Friday" offer of £17.50 ($22) per pack.
I usually pay £29 ($36) for a 3 pack of EJ16s, which usually last about three months.

So
if a $12 set lasts for three months ... how long should a $22 set last ?

My initial impressions of the XS strings - they say "maximum life" ...is that string life or .. my ..life? I'm nearly 76!

They also say "smooth feel" well my my impression when fitting them was "slimy" really difficult fitting them into the capstan of the tuning machines as they kept slipping between my very dry fingers.

They sounded OK on my two 00 guitars, but the top E on both were a bit "tinky".

So .. anybody here use these strings ? Your impression?

.... and just what is "NY" Steel? do they have a steel drawing mill in North Yorkshire or is it Ny in Belgium?

Pity they have abandoned the coloured string barrels.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:54 PM

There is a difference between treated and coated strings. I like treated strings more. They sound more like non treated/coated strings to me.
XS strings last me about twice as long as non treated strings, so it's a tie as to cost and longevity.

I got a great deal on Martin Lifespan strings by buying a 25 set box.
Lifespan strings last me as long as XS strings do and they cost a lot less, when purchased in bulk.

I don't play on ever going back to non treated strings, with the exception of Martin Monel strings, which I use on one or two of my guitars.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Andy,

I just recently used my first set of light gauge D'Addario XS strings and I liked them. I thought they sounded and felt really good.

- Glenn
Old 12-10-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

XS are now my favorite strings. Before XS, EJ-16 were my favorites.

From the first tune-up I think XS give me something extra and they stay sounding good for about 5 months until they drop dead over night. EJ-16's have been lasting 8 to 10 weeks.

With the Black Friday sales I stocked up on both so I'm good for a while except that I put a set of Ernie Ball Alu Bronze on my '79 D-35 and it really brought there Rock&Roll heart out of the guitar. Now on want to try them on my other guitars.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

The top b and e strings are the exact same as any other uncoated string set.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
The top b and e strings are the exact same as any other uncoated string set.
I thought that might be the case too, but Daddario themselves told me that they apply a thin “dispersion coating” to the plain steel strings in their XS sets. Also, these are identical to the plain steels in their XT line.

Incidentally, I love XS strings on most of my guitars. But I like coated strings - used to use Elixir nanowebs, but I find the tone of the Daddarios to be slightly richer, and the life even longer. Also, I don’t know if this is available outside the US, but for those that like them, you can get 3 for the price of 2 right now. I just stocked up.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:30 PM

I have used Elixirs for years and like them. I recently put a set of 13-56 XS on my D18, and the tone is great. I like the feel, and the longevity of the XS at least matches the Elixirs. I think the XS are less slippery as well.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:52 PM

For me, the light XS strings are the best new strings I've tried in a very long time. The tone is great, but the feel and tension are perfect for me as well. I still like Elixirs for one guitar (maybe a tad brighter to my ear than XS), but at the moment all my other guitars wear the XS series.

Silly M, I'd give them some time to grow on you. They last a very long time, so you've got a while to see if they're a good fit for you.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
For me, the light XS strings are the best new strings I've tried in a very long time. The tone is great, but the feel and tension are perfect for me as well. I still like Elixirs for one guitar (maybe a tad brighter to my ear than XS), but at the moment all my other guitars wear the XS series.

Silly M, I'd give them some time to grow on you. And they last a very long time for me.

I’m an EJ17 and 16 devotee for 19 years and always took elixirs off after a few days. XS is the first new string I’ve stuck with since learning how to play the guitar and they’re here to stay. I love ‘em
Old 12-10-2023, 02:11 PM

Default D'addario XS strings ? (I don't do coated.so...)

XS are good for me. They last a while.
Martin LifeSpan 2.0 are harder on my fingers
GHS Vintage Bronze are nice on the D-28
Elixir still get the job done when they’re on sale.
I ordered some StringJoy Foxwoods 13s.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:33 PM

If I thought for one moment I could change your mind Andy I would extol all the virtues of these strings, but I'll just say that I love them and they sound great on my Huss & Dalton (another brand you have made your mind up about!) and my Brook. I'll also add that they last me at least 4 or 5 months and so I consider the £30 I pay for a custom set made up of individual strings to be well worth it.

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 12-10-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
.... and just what is "NY" Steel? do they have a steel drawing mill in North Yorkshire or is it Ny in Belgium?
Yes, they bought a steel mill or processing plant allowing them to draw their own wire.

From what I read the properties are slightly different (from the usual Swedish or less common German steel) which translates to a different sound. Some call it warmer, some brighter so I'm not keeping my hopes up that I'll hear a (or appreciate the) difference when I get around to try the 2 samples I bought (plain trebles only).
Old 12-10-2023, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I tried both the PB and 80/20 versions in the hopes I’d be able to end my search for the string that lasts like a coated string but sounds and feels like an uncoated string. Imo, while these are great strings, for uncoated strings, they just don’t have the sound of the best uncoated strings. And the coating is so good, they take forever to lose that zingy new string sound.

Best coated/treated PB strings I’ve played are DR Veritas and GHS Americana. And Daddario Nickel Bronze sound great and last forever too.

The quest for the best sounding, long lasting 80/20 string continues…
Old 12-10-2023, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a set of XS PB on my 00015SM and they sound and feel great. I find they are much less slick than Elixirs.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-10-2023, 03:34 PM

My J 45 is sporting set of XS 80/20 mediums. Both B and top E strings are coated. I like them a lot better than Elixirs - they don’t feel as slimy to me. I am only using them because my hands destroy strings - I put on a new set of uncoded strings before a two hour gig, and by the end they were done.

I haven’t tried the Martin lifespans yet and will probably give those a shot. I got the XS on Amazon sale for @$13 a set in a three pack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion