The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM

The 2-in front design is pretty awesome. The fuel efficiency argument gets weaker as you go from 2 to 3 wheels, but for safety, especially in wet conditions, Trikes are awesome.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephW View Post
Probably a dumb question, but do trikes require the same drivers license classification and testing as two wheeled bikes?
Not a dumb question at all. In my neck of the woods in the Ontario/Quebec region of Canada, one does not require a motorcycle license, just a two-day course.

That said, I wonder if already having a motorcycle license might render any insurance premium reduction if buying a CanAm? It seems to me that motorcycle experience, especially if having a motorcycle riding course under one's belt, should be recognized for an insurance reduction.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I had a sidecar outfit for about four years and then got a Goldwing trike. I loved the sidecar, but it was too hard on my injured shoulder. I got my trike in 2008 and love it still. It doesn't matter what type of three wheeler you're riding, it's a blast and definitely extends your riding years. On a side note, if you get a sidecar rig, you can carry your guitar(s) and other gear anywhere you want to go, in addition to a folding chair and a small cooler for your beer! Recently my husband went to a sidecar rig from a large touring bike, and the sidecar allows him to continue riding even with some issues with his knees and legs that have come from getting older.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephW View Post
Probably a dumb question, but do trikes require the same drivers license classification and testing as two wheeled bikes?
It depends on the state. In Florida, Missouri, and Illinois, at least, if you have a two wheel endorsement you're good to go. Additionally, in Florida you can take a three wheel course (Spyders, regular trikes, and sidecar rigs) if you are only going to ride trikes/sidecars. My wife did that since she has no intention of riding two wheelers.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Now...how do I like my Spyder after 5 1/2 years? For me, it was a very good decision and I've never looked back. In fact, every time I think it would be fun to ride two wheels again I just get on the Spyder and those thoughts go away.

Two weeks after I bought the Spyder I rode it from St Louis to the Space Coast in two days. I probably could not have done that with a two wheeler. On the highway the Spyder RT is extremely stable and quite comfortable. The cruise control is extremely useful though, because I wear a full face helmet, the radio doesn't really do it at highway speeds unless you use Bluetooth speakers in your helmet. I quickly learned that you need to have a very light touch on the handle bars or the bike can be quite twitchy. Additionally, the original fuel gauge was junk, though the one I have now is better. Things I have added to the bike are a high mount stop light, led running lights on the front fenders, led turn signals on the mirrors, Baker Air Wings...which act like lowers and really keep helmet bobble to a minimum, and highway pegs. I have a factory trailer hitch but I sold the factory trailer two years ago because I only used it once. When towing you couldn't even tell the trailer was there.

I love riding the Spyder and have really never looked back. Really, the only thing I miss is the leaning and I've gotten used to not doing it. I have the paddle shift transmission and I'm very glad I do...since I broke my left ankle almost two years ago I can no longer shift with my left foot. It's also easier when riding in parades.

I've only had two people react negatively to my riding the Spyder...most people are eager to ask questions and talk about it.

The newer models of the RT have a bigger motor (1300cc vs 1000) and a six vice five speed tranny. All Spyders also come with a true reverse gear. I believe these days they have three models of the RT and three models of the newer F3. I think the original RS and the ST are now out of production.

But I love riding my Spyder and am really glad it's the way I went after riding two wheels off and on since 1968.

One more thing...before buying, research your dealer and find out if their service department is any good with Spyders. The one in Illinois I bought the bike from was. The first dealer I took it too in Florida was not and I ended up "firing" them and going to a MUCH better dealer about an hour from me in Kissimmee. It's well worth doing the research.

Some Taylor guitars.
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

Last edited by flaggerphil; 09-02-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Now...how do I like my Spyder after 5 1/2 years? For me, it was a very good decision and I've never looked back. In fact, every time I think it would be fun to ride two wheels again I just get on the Spyder and those thoughts go away.

Two weeks after I bought the Spyder I rode it from St Louis to the Space Coast in two days. I probably could not have done that with a two wheeler. On the highway the Spyder RT is extremely stable and quite comfortable. The cruise control is extremely useful though, because I wear a full face helmet, the radio doesn't really do it at highway speeds unless you use Bluetooth speakers in your helmet. I quickly learned that you need to have a very light touch on the handle bars or the bike can be quite twitchy. Additionally, the original fuel gauge was junk, though the one I have now is better. Things I have added to the bike are a high mount stop light, led running lights on the front fenders, led turn signals on the mirrors, Baker Air Wings...which act like lowers and really keep helmet bobble to a minimum, and highway pegs. I have a factory trailer hitch but I sold the factory trailer two years ago because I only used it once. When towing you couldn't even tell the trailer was there.

I love riding the Spyder and have really never looked back. Really, the only thing I miss is the leaning and I've gotten used to not doing it. I have the paddle shift transmission and I'm very glad I do...since I broke my left ankle almost two years ago I can no longer shift with my left foot. It's also easier when riding in parades.

I've only had two people react negatively to my riding the Spyder...most people are eager to ask questions and talk about it.

The newer models of the RT have a bigger motor (1300cc vs 1000) and a six vice five speed tranny. All Spyders also come with a true reverse gear. I believe these days they have three models of the RT and three models of the newer F3. I think the original RS and the ST are now out of production.

But I love riding my Spyder and am really glad it's the way I went after riding two wheels off and on since 1968.

One more thing...before buying, research your dealer and find out if their service department is any good with Spyders. The one in Illinois I bought the bike from was. The first dealer I took it too in Florida was not and I ended up "firing" them and going to a MUCH better dealer about an hour from me in Kissimmee. It's well worth doing the research.
Maybe you should put a tiller or steering wheel on your Spyder thing .
If it has more than 2 wheels with anything other than a sidecar , its more car than motorcycle .
Old 09-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Maybe you should put a tiller or steering wheel on your Spyder thing .
If it has more than 2 wheels with anything other than a sidecar , its more car than motorcycle .
No, it's not. IMHO.

Some Taylor guitars.
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hey I think if you are happy with it, that is great and all that matters . I was going to say, I wonder why even two people would react negatively ? Why would anybody care what you decided you want to do ----It's not like you are going to make them get one OR did you ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. IMHO.
Whatever .
Old 09-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it's not. IMHO.
I agree....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey I think if you are happy with it, that is great and all that matters . I was going to say, I wonder why even two people would react negatively ? Why would anybody care what you decided you want to do ----It's not like you are going to make them get one OR did you ?
Since I realize that this is partly directed towards me , I will respond honestly .
In the apt words of an old friend " Hey buddy , where's the rest of your car ? " .
The bottom line is that sometimes we are forced to make choices . May you be as comfortable with yours as I am with mine . That goes for Phil as well .
A Spyder ridden by anyone is still far more car than motorcycle in my world and always be . Nothing personal .
Old 09-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Since I realize that this is partly directed towards me , I will respond honestly .
In the apt words of an old friend " Hey buddy , where's the rest of your car ? " .
The bottom line is that sometimes we are forced to make choices . May you be as comfortable with yours as I am with mine . That goes for Phil as well .
A Spyder ridden by anyone is still far more car than motorcycle in my world and always be . Nothing personal .
Yet you use the term "ridden".
When was the last time your car was ridden on?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-02-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Yet you use the term "ridden".
When was the last time your car was ridden on?
Have you ever driven a motorcycle ?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Have you ever driven a Spyder?

Some Taylor guitars.
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope. But I have four at present, and ride them all fairly regularly.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic