The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Thank you. I'm still at beginner level so any suggestion helps.
Yes, this is in line with what I was looking for.
From your list, I'm good with 1,2 and 3.
4 is in process. 5 rhythm is where I'm struggling now.
Long way to go.

Thank you.
That's amazing that you learned all that in 1.5 years by yourself.
I think I started practicing since end of 2015 and from your list, I'm up to 7 excluding 6 and 4.
That means your practice schedule/content is much better than mine and/or my practice is terrible.
What/How did you practice to progress through all those?
You can PM me if that's better.
I'm good at teaching myself things, and I've been obsessed with learning music. I also kept my own goals in mind so there are other things that are on the back burner - like I've just barely started learning to sight read notation on guitar, am still not bothering to memorize songs to performance level, and, although I can play any scale in any key, I haven't had a reason to practice playing them really fast. I worked on this stuff in any free time I had, so every day at least 1-2 hours, some days 3-4, some 6 or so, mostly just taking millions of teeny, tiny steps and not getting discouraged even when I felt like it. For me, understanding the theory was important so I took the time to do that before I started guitar. It made learning chords and the fretboard, for instance, make a lot more sense. I also learned a lot of things at once, so, if my fretting hand was tired, I might practice fingerpicking for a while, or study theory, or work on learning the fretboard... all in the same day.

I have just moved and started a new job, so now I'm practicing sometimes an hour or so early in the morning, then another bout in the evening. Looking forward to more concentrated time this weekend. But if you have questions, feel free to PM also. I enjoy sharing the process.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 08-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

One of my major miles stones was being able to play and sing a song at the same time all the way through with no mistakes. And then doing that in front of people.....
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if there's a certain list of things that I can check off and move on in general instead of following one singer or a type of music.
Milestones and checklists can be helpful, but I would try not to get too caught up with them. I'd recommend that you sit down and try and figure out two things: (1) what songs really do you really like to sing? and (2) what would you really like to do with your music - then set some goals for yourself.

Shortly after picking up the guitar 10 years ago, I decided that I wanted to be able to entertain people in small group settings. As I worked out a set list, I learned the techniques needed to perform the songs I wanted to perform. It was all very organic

I have set up some personal challenges that greatly helped both motivate my practice and hone my growing skills. I started recording myself and posted these recordings to YouTube and on the 'Show and Tell' subforum. The feedback I received helped me grow by leaps and bounds. Another personal challenge was to perform in a local music festival - another big growing experience.

Sounds like you are coming along very well. Keep it up and above all - enjoy!

STeve
Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Milestones and checklists can be helpful, but I would try not to get too caught up with them. I'd recommend that you sit down and try and figure out two things: (1) what songs really do you really like to sing? and (2) what would you really like to do with your music - then set some goals for yourself.

Shortly after picking up the guitar 10 years ago, I decided that I wanted to be able to entertain people in small group settings. As I worked out a set list, I learned the techniques needed to perform the songs I wanted to perform. It was all very organic
My initial goal was to sing and play songs when our friends and families gather for parties or hang outs.
I can do a hack job now playing few songs.
However, after last party, I realized that's not enough.
When we came up to the songs I'm familiar with, I could strum and play somewhat but when it's a new/not practiced song, I couldn't do anything.

The initial goal is still there but I need to be good enough to play any song that comes up, even if it's not perfect but good enough.
So I guess I need to move into keys and improvisation plus whole bunch of other things.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My initial goal was to sing and play songs when our friends and families gather for parties or hang outs.
I can do a hack job now playing few songs.
However, after last party, I realized that's not enough.
When we came up to the songs I'm familiar with, I could strum and play somewhat but when it's a new/not practiced song, I couldn't do anything.

The initial goal is still there but I need to be good enough to play any song that comes up, even if it's not perfect but good enough.
So I guess I need to move into keys and improvisation plus whole bunch of other things.
If you're leading the singalong, the best thing you can do is learn the songs, so that you can sing and play them well. If you want to play along with others in an impromptu type gathering, then the best thing is to figure out how to determine what key the song is being sung/played in and how to use a capo to arrive at said key. Simple strumming is all you really need.

STeve
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I knew nothing AT ALL when I started and I've just reached the end of this list in the last month or so. I first picked up a guitar in January of 2016 so all this took 18-19 months. I now feel ok saying I play guitar. I still only know a handful of songs by heart because that just wasn't my goal.
Holy crap, is that normal?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
Holy crap, is that normal?
No....that is quite an accomplishment and I would not consider that "normal". The average adult taking up guitar with a family and a life would be happy at strumming and cleanly changing chords while singing at 18 mo. That's my opinion anyway. I"m four years in since I first touched a guitar and remember those early stages very well, and would consider myself average in time, talent and desire. Very rarely does a day go by without practicing something, but my times vary greatly depending on what else in going on in life.

We are all on our own journeys here, so it's best to enjoy the process and try not to focus too much on comparing it to others. Goals and expectations are the motivators for reaching milestones, and those are different for everyone as well.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Agreed. However, when I hear something like that, it gets a little difficult, haha!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
Agreed. However, when I hear something like that, it gets a little difficult, haha!
Oh, goodness! I would hope you wouldn't feel that way. I worked really, really hard to do that, and I still have a long way to go!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
No....that is quite an accomplishment and I would not consider that "normal". The average adult taking up guitar with a family and a life would be happy at strumming and cleanly changing chords while singing at 18 mo. That's my opinion anyway. I"m four years in since I first touched a guitar and remember those early stages very well, and would consider myself average in time, talent and desire. Very rarely does a day go by without practicing something, but my times vary greatly depending on what else in going on in life.

We are all on our own journeys here, so it's best to enjoy the process and try not to focus too much on comparing it to others. Goals and expectations are the motivators for reaching milestones, and those are different for everyone as well.
Yup. Well said. We all get impatient, it's important to try and just enjoy the journey.

Steve
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM

There is a common theme on this forum that there is no such thing as "naturals".
Folks will say that it is an even playing field and it only boils down to practice, practice, practice.
Deep inside we know that is not true.
I could never learn to draw or paint a masterpiece or design skyscrapers.
I could run myself into the ground and never break the 100 meter record.

Only something like 5% of the worlds population can play one simple song on the guitar.

Checklists are fine I suppose but maybe you should just make yourself a chart of the top 25 songs that you want to play for yourself and others.
Then concentrate on learning those songs, start with campfire versions and then learn more intricate versions.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
There is a common theme on this forum that there is no such thing as "naturals".
Folks will say that it is an even playing field and it only boils down to practice, practice, practice.
Deep inside we know that is not true.
I could never learn to draw or paint a masterpiece or design skyscrapers.
I could run myself into the ground and never break the 100 meter record.

Only something like 5% of the worlds population can play one simple song on the guitar.

Checklists are fine I suppose but maybe you should just make yourself a chart of the top 25 songs that you want to play for yourself and others.
Then concentrate on learning those songs, start with campfire versions and then learn more intricate versions.
I like the idea of the "top 25 songs". If one were to do that one at a time, they would learn a heck of a lot of guitar in the process.

BTW, does 25 partial songs count...because I have that covered in spades!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Good idea but I need to make that 75 songs.
Being a Tri-lingual is a bad thing sometimes.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
...Checklists are fine I suppose but maybe you should just make yourself a chart of the top 25 songs that you want to play for yourself and others.
If you're careful which songs/genres you want to learn you can really shorten the process. I absolutely love John Prine's music. I would not likely have bothered to learn guitar if not for John Prine. But most of his songs are the absolute simplest things to play. If you learn one, you automatically know 10 (just need to learn the lyrics). Folk, bluegrass and country are the same.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 PM

All good points, I judge my playing by what I see the pros talking about and doing. They have told me that once you can master some technique without thinking about it and it seems to come effortlessly, then you've got it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write