The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Default "Wind River" is probably the best film I've seen so far this year.

I don't have time to go into great length right now, but I wanted to recommend "Wind River." It's a modern day crime drama that takes place on the Arapaho and Shoshone Indian reservation of the same name in Wind River, Wyoming.

It was actually filmed in Utah, in the same stretch of the Wasatch Mountains where "Jeremiah Johnson" was filmed. The stunning scenery is one good reason to go see it in a theater; shrinking the images down to fit a television screen or an iPhone will inevitably diminish their impact.

The story and the acting performances are strong enough even if you do shrink it down to watch it, but it's best on a movie screen.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear the reactions of others who have gone to see it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Wade. I seldom go to movie theaters, but might make an exception in this case. My wife and I celebrated a recent anniversary by going to see "Dunkirk." There were 8 of us in that theater - I found it interesting that as the other 6 came in, they all chose to sit within easy conversation distance of us. We enjoyed meeting everyone afterward!

cotten
Old 08-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

We saw it yesterday and agree, best flick we've seen in a while. As an amusing aside, I said to my wife: "Is Jane Banner one of the Olsen twins?" It turns out it's sister Elizabeth Olsen. Good acting, interesting plot -- I've recommended it to my friends & family.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing it. I like Jeremy Remmer and Graham Greene, and the storyline looks interesting.

I spent some time in the Wind River Range many years ago and it was one of those places where no one has to tell you to be careful. Didn't encounter any wildlife but saw BIG tracks everywhere. The people I stayed with said they usually leave around end of August and can't get back in till least May. One of the most gorgeous areas I ever visited and pretty much empty.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
We saw it yesterday and agree, best flick we've seen in a while. As an amusing aside, I said to my wife: "Is Jane Banner one of the Olsen twins?" It turns out it's sister Elizabeth Olsen. Good acting, interesting plot -- I've recommended it to my friends & family.
Right, she's the twins' younger sister. I first saw her in a very good arthouse movie called "Martha Marcy May Marlene," and it was apparent from that that she had a real career in front of her. She's a genuine talent.

Interestingly, that film had John Hawkes in a major role, and so did "Winter's Bone," which was the arthouse movie that propelled Jennifer Lawrence into movie stardom. Elizabeth Olsen's ascent hasn't been quite as stratospheric as Lawrence's, but they're both doing very nicely.

Anyhow, John Hawkes is one of those actors who's improved every movie and television project he's been in, even when he's been given nothing little parts. I'm a big fan of his, as well.

whm
Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Guess I will have to make a special point to see it. The Reservation is on the east slope,,,,I have spent most of the last 18 years living on a west slope ridgeline that is the point where the Wind River and the Gros Ventre mountain Ranges meet .

One of the last truly wild places left in the Lower 48

And as HPP noted at times it seems very empty and is fairly remote , It is however a place the where on a per square mile basis the wildlife far far outnumbers the humans.
And yes it is snow from october to april. Here are some shots from last year a record snowfall year. And through an unusual set of circumstances my wife spent the entire winter with the dog, the horses , and a couple foxes, while I was remodeling our house in Colorado

Last Jan

Last April

Getting ready to take the horses down to Colorado

This is Union Pass one of only two roads that go over the Wind River Range

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-20-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Last April

I see the electric waterer. Is it still running in April?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I see the electric waterer. Is it still running in April?
Yes it is on all year round. At this elevation 8000 ft. we can occasionally have below 32 degree temps at night, and have in fact had it snow (albeit only a smattering in summer) in every month of the year

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Right, she's the twins' younger sister. I first saw her in a very good arthouse movie called "Martha Marcy May Marlene," and it was apparent from that that she had a real career in front of her. She's a genuine talent.

Interestingly, that film had John Hawkes in a major role, and so did "Winter's Bone," which was the arthouse movie that propelled Jennifer Lawrence into movie stardom. Elizabeth Olsen's ascent hasn't been quite as stratospheric as Lawrence's, but they're both doing very nicely.

Anyhow, John Hawkes is one of those actors who's improved every movie and television project he's been in, even when he's been given nothing little parts. I'm a big fan of his, as well.

whm
Agree that WIND RIVER is terrific, Wade, and on a semi-related note as per your post quoted above, as you're a fan John Hawkes' work, you must see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2394063/...nm_flmg_act_10 if you haven't yet.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, LT. I put it on my Netflix list.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic