The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I would think when someone is led to the point of killing defenseless people indiscriminately, we are well past "point of view" and into the indoctrination territory.
My condolences to all and I agree...
Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Same reason we just experienced the nonsense in Charlottesville...human beings are defective creatures.
In addition to what Larry said, I can't help but think that there are those trying to find a group to give them a sense of belonging while channeling their antisocial aggression. I know that finding social belonging while being antisocial seems like an oxymoron. Having spent the better part of my adult life working in mental health and correctional facilities, I figured that people couldn't surprise me. However, the level of hate and violence (be it mild by comparison to what's happened in the past couple of years in other places) that I observed in my hometown of Charlottesville really shocked and deeply saddened me....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Perhaps the more pertinent question is why so many people have trouble identifying evil in a definitive way. Attacking and killing innocent people is evil. There is no "differing point of view" that does not increase evil. That's the answer to "Why."

cotten
I guess "evil" means "the enemy"? Was it "good" to drop bombs on the cities of France,and Germany or Japan or towns in Syria knowing that innocent civilians would be killed or maimed?

If planting landmines, and booby traps which may kill innocent people is evil, then was it evil when the SOE, and the French underground were doing so during WW2.
Would it still have been evil had the Germans landed in England and the Auxiliary units did what they were trained to do? .. which would have been at least as bad as the things in Afghanistan, Libya etc., .. only more organised.

I'm not defending these attacks on innocent people in European towns and cities, but the question is still there .... why?

Because, perhaps, the perpetrators have been told that the people of the west are infidels, whose forces and allies have invaded the lands of the faithful, and need to be exterminated, or at least scared/encouraged to have their forces removed from their lands.

POV
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic