The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I love dreads and I play fingerstyle 95% of the time.

I use medium strings, low action set up with neck dead straight. I have a little bit of nail and I use a plastic thumbpick which I shave to a certain length and shape it to produce a certain tone.

The good thing about fingerpicking with a dread is I can get away with not using a thumbpick and still be able to coax lots of bass with my bare flesh.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Finger picking with fingertips for me. I don't grow my nails out into blades. Thats disgusting, and I am not some snooty soft tail either.

Dreadnoughts, auditoriums, jumbos, etc...Its all the same to me, except for guitar size and maybe some very minor adjustments.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 PM

I fingerpick on anything and everything...Dreadnaughts no exception

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=418580
Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Given that I play gigs plugged in, I use light strings (why work so hard?), a plastic thumb pick and two brass finger picks. The nut width is whatever the standard Martin Dread nut width is, as I have found no advantage to the wider spacing of so-called "finger style" guitars. I get all the volume and tone I want and the guitar is easy to play. What else d'ya need?
This is the correct answer^ I don't understand the fixation with absolutely having to have a 1.75" nut for 'finger style' guitars, often seen here. Shortish nails/some flesh for me.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
The laws of physics hold, all other things being equal a larger body will have more volume, projection and bass.
I want those qualities available to me regardless of what style of music I'm playing.
Erm.... the laws of physics are exactly the reason why some people find OMs better suited at fingerstyle Especially given that not "all other thing begin equal".

Have have you tried jumbo btw? You might like more than dread.

Ll.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 AM
Musical minimalist

I've never found any benefit at all from medium strings - in fact I thoroughly believe that on a lightly built/responsive instrument the increased tension of the mediums actually puts more pressure on the bridge (torque) and reduces responsiveness.....I always hear that they "drive" the top better, but I don't believe that for a second.

My Charis dread is one of the best fingerstyle instruments I've ever owned with light gauge strings on it, and it will still peal your ears back when strummed or flatpicked in regard to volume. I use manicured nails on my right hand and always have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion