The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Sold: 2003 Taylor 714ce Limited Cocobolo Summer Strummer

Sold

Description
This is a player-grade example of one of the "Summer Strummer" limited edition guitars that Taylor put out in 2003. As most here are aware, they packed a lot of value into these limited models. This one sports straight grain, crack free cocobolo back and sides and a lovely sitka spruce top that has darkened up nicely over the last 15 years. It has fantastic silking. Structurally, everything is in fine shape. The guitar smells fantastic, by the way.

The original owner (I'm the second) gave this guitar a ton of attention. It does have its share of dings, pick marks, and blemishes. The known condition issues are below and I'm more than happy to do an in-hand description over the phone to anyone who is seriously interested.
  • Finish marks on back of headstock, probably from a guitar hangar (Pic 1, Pic 2)
  • Binding ding on the back at the tailblock (Pic 1)
  • Shallow dings on backside binding at the waist
  • 4-5 dings on front binding on the lower bout, treble side (Pic 1)
  • At least 3 dings on the top that are bigger than a couple MM, various pick marks and smaller dings on top (Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4)
  • Hairline crack running down the center of the fretboard extension that starts after the 17th fret and carrys on just past the 20th (Pic 1)
  • Decent fret wear on the first 5 frets
  • Approx. 3" finish crack skirting the bass side purfling at the waist (Unable to photograph because it sits right on the edge of the purfling, but can be felt)
  • Approx. 3.25" finish crack skirting the purfling on at the waist on the treble side (Pic 1)
  • Slight finish lifting under all but the low E and D string tuning posts (Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3)
  • One slight impression from a capo or something on the bass side of the neck, just under the binding mid-way between the first and second fret (Pic 1)
Regarding the finish and fretboard cracks, they have remained stable since I bought the guitar in 2012. The guitar comes with a first generation ES pickup system, the truss rod tool and ES cable.

The original monkey-butt lined case is in average shape. The tolex (or whatever the covering is), has a slight bubble on either side at the waist (Pic 1, Pic 2). It has some nicks here and there and the handle is cosmetically rough (Pic 1). Taylor was kind enough to send a replacement that will be in the case if the old one ever gives up the ghost or if the new owner feels so inclined.

Price
I'm asking $Sold + shipping. I'll cover insurance and any payment transaction fees (PayPal preferred). No trades, please.

Specs
Top: Sitka spruce
Back & Sides: Cocobolo
Body and Fretboard Bindings: Flamed maple
Neck: Mahogany, NT
Nut Width: 1 3/4
Tuners: Taylor (Gold)
Rosette: Abalone
Purfling: Abalone
Bridge: Ebony w. ebony bridge-pins (abalone dot)
Fingerboard: Ebony w/ snowflake markers
Nut/Saddle: Tusq
Pick-up: 1st generation Expression System
Finish: High-gloss body, satin neck
Headstock: Solid w/ abalone inlaid Taylor logo
Case: Original hardshell case

Pictures
I'll add more detailed pictures of some of the condition issues shortly and will share links above.

Sound Clip
Here's a quick and dirty sample recorded with a Zoom H2N aimed at 14th fret, no effects. Not quite sure why, but it kicks in around 9 seconds in, so hang in there.

Thanks for stopping by. PM or email with any questions.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 03-25-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Soundclip added
Old 03-12-2018, 05:19 PM

This is an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I'm probably a bit partial, as I own the dread version, the 2003 710 Ltd. in Cocobolo. I have to say it- this is a FANTASTIC guitar. As someone who's played it's closest cousin.. it's by far the richest sounding Taylor I've ever played, which says alot; I haven't played ALL of their high end stuff, but I can honestly say that I prefer the sound of my summer strummer to the 2017 814 and 414 that I've played locally.

Anyway, just wanted to give my endorsement, as I was a bit on the fence due to the age, and ended up being a VERY happy camper.

Good luck with the sale. Hope someone jumps on this soon, for the price it's an incredible value!!!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Scott. Appreciate the kind words. I sold a Gibby AJ, a J-45, a Lakewood M-32, and a Huss & Dalton CM before I got around to this one. It'll be a tough one to let go, but paring down and preparing for a move requires it.

Sound clip and a few additional pics added.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 03-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Soundclip added (don't blame the guitar, blame the mediocre player).
Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

justonemore,

I tried to reply to your last private message, but your inbox is full and I cannot send. I sent an email to the address listed in your profile.

Thanks,
Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 03-21-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Default got it

yep, thanks Austin. sorry about that, my subscription had expired, just remedied that. will respond shortly.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM

I have one that I bought new in 2003 and it has been a favorite. Sweet tone and almost impossible to overdrive when strummed hard. Talk about a value! Try pricing out Cocobolo (if you can find it) these days with all of the Abalone Purfling and sound hole rosette along with flamed Maple binding.

Definitely one of the best LTD's Taylor put out. Interestingly enough my ES V1 is still working great after all these years.

Good luck! Great guitar!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I have one that I bought new in 2003 and it has been a favorite. Sweet tone and almost impossible to overdrive when strummed hard. Talk about a value! Try pricing out Cocobolo (if you can find it) these days with all of the Abalone Purfling and sound hole rosette along with flamed Maple binding.

Definitely one of the best LTD's Taylor put out. Interestingly enough my ES V1 is still working great after all these years.

Good luck! Great guitar!
Thanks, Bacchus2b! I vaguely remember using one of the old BTO sheets that was floating around a few years ago to spec out something close to this guitar before I found this one. Let's just say it escalated quickly as you added in the purfling and the cocobolo.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars