The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 AM

Default Bach on an Eastman E20D

Hi all,

Here is the BWV997 first part (and da capo) of the BWV997 from Bach, on a dreadnought. Has people here ever played his music on a steel strings ?

http://sd-g1.archive-host.com/membre...97_da_capo.MP3

Please forgive my poor sense of recording. I did it with a zoom H2, in one take, no mix or effects.

There are still some flaws here and there, mostly issues about dynamics, phrasing, letting each voice speak. It is the real hard part. But I think the result on a steel strings is quite convincing. Very resonant. Please let me know what you think or share some music in that regard !

Maybe I'll post the whole fugue someday, but since I'm not a classical trained guitarist, it takes a LOT of time to learn and master this. I'm working on it for 18 months now :-D.

Enjoy !

B3N
Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 AM

The piece is very nice and well played. Classical music, when I am learning it without being familiar with the actual music, is like a story to me that unfolds as I work through each measure.

I find Bach to be particularly that way. Sometimes I wonder how one of his sections can possibly resolve, and then over a couple of measures it all beautifully comes together.

Lately I have been learning some Medieval and Renaissance songs that are quite satisfying.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 AM

I play several Bach pieces on steel string arranged as duets for flute and guitar... not exactly what you're doing, but I have to agree that his music speaks well on steel strings.

We're in the process of recording our repertoire. I'll definitely post some samples when we get to the Bach stuff.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Guest 33123

Very nicely done!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell