The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Doolin Guitars

Anyone know about Mike Doolin?

I contacted him by email and left 2 phone messages re: possibly building an acoustic bass for me. I received no responses. Is he still making guitars?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Mike is as far as I know just fine. What kind of time frame are we talking about between the email and calls?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 PM

over three weeks
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Eric Skye

I think Mike is in town. I'd try him back again by phone. I know my emails pile up for a long time these days, and then sometimes I lose a few...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Mike has also been in the process of moving into a new house, getting the old house ready to sell, setting up his shop in his new house, etc. He's a great guy who builds incredible guitars. Your patience and understanding will be richly rewarded by the results should you go with one of Mike's builds.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Ive never played Doolin guitars,
but i have played Doolin banjos!

Rick
Old 05-27-2011, 03:39 PM

I heard Irish music at a pub in Doolin, Ireland. That must count for something.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Mike has also been in the process of moving into a new house, getting the old house ready to sell, setting up his shop in his new house, etc. He's a great guy who builds incredible guitars. Your patience and understanding will be richly rewarded by the results should you go with one of Mike's builds.
Perhaps, but it doesn't take much to acknowledge receipt of now 2 emails and 2 phone messages. NO ONE is that busy or important!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Perhaps, but it doesn't take much to acknowledge receipt of now 2 emails and 2 phone messages. NO ONE is that busy or important!
Important, maybe not. Busy... well, that's another thing. I've had voicemails and emails go for well over a month before I could get to them. And I'm just a regular old person.

I'd also like to mention that complaining publicly about someone you want to have build you a guitar might not be the best of ideas... just sayin'.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
Important, maybe not. Busy... well, that's another thing. I've had voicemails and emails go for well over a month before I could get to them. And I'm just a regular old person.

I'd also like to mention that complaining publicly about someone you want to have build you a guitar might not be the best of ideas... just sayin'.
Well, Misters Ryan, Olson, Klepper, Greenfield, Bills, and Schwartz respond happily and politely usually within 24 hours. I am a busy guy and due to my occupation receive a lot of calls that interrupt or conflict with my time. I seem to cope.

My original post wasn't a complaint, but rather a hope that someone in the AGF may know why he couldn't respond. One response indicated he may be no longer making guitars, another implied he was personally busy, and one of my responses indicated the time frame in question.

Last edited by redcloud; 05-28-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Well, Misters Ryan, Olson, Klepper, Greenfield, Bills, and Schwartz respond happily and politely usually within 24 hours. I am a busy guy and due to my occupation receive a lot of calls that interrupt or conflict with my time. I seem to cope.

Mike is one of the stand-up good-guys in the guitar building world.

If he is indeed finally (after over 9 months of work) in process of moving to the new house, and he is working on wiring, plumbing, setting up his new shop, etc., then I think that's enough of an answer on this thread...and that is likely *exactly* what is happening here.

He may not even have a computer connected to the internet, in fact. As "horrible" as this might seem, I will repeat again that Mike is one of the stand-up good-guys in the guitar building world.

I wouldn't let this thread get blown out of proportion.

If someone wants to be upset with Mike about this oversight, so be it...but it should be clear that it is a very unusual oversight, with likely an unusual set of circumstances.

Mike is one of the stand-up good-guys in the guitar building world.

Quote:

My original post wasn't a complaint, but rather a hope that someone in the AGF may know why he couldn't respond. One response indicated he may be no longer making guitars, another implied he was personally busy, and one of my responses indicated the time frame in question.

Actually, Scott, no one has indicated or even implied that Mike is no longer building guitars, as you stated.

Billy Boy (hey, Bill!) has indicated that he is in-process of moving. Guitar builders don't hire a moving company...they move their shops piece by piece (when the new area is ready), tool by tool, and stack of wood by stack of wood...an enormous task...and to go along with this, it's not just the shop, but the entire household.

That's the scoop.

Mike is still building, and he is a great guy.

I understand that you want a response, and that you're not getting a timely response. I also don't like it when someone doesn't get back to me on a timely basis.

Mike is not a guy that disappears into the woodwork (literally!), ever. Something is going on...again, probably this big move.

P.S. When I had my heart attack last year I was also unable to respond to emails for a while.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 05-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Could be he has a new number. Did you check his site contact page? Larry is right - they don't come any better than Mike Doolin.

Gerald Sheppard Guitars
http://www.SheppardGuitars.com
Ph: 423-349-5582 Eastern Time USA

Last edited by Gerald Sheppard; 05-29-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 AM

I wasn't originally trying to impune Mike online. I was just hoping that one of his friends in this vast online community might know him personally and let him know someone has tried repeatedly to get in touch with him.

I can't help finding it frustrating and disappointing when someone doesn't respond in a reasonable time frame. I have used contact info off of his website and his answering machine seems to accept messages. I get it that sometimes people have issues with an Internet connection or something comes up like moving, etc.

I am not a bad guy for relating a time frame in response to another post. Nor am I rude for having a different feeling about how quickly a person should respond to a query.

I think the thread was I'll-advised. I am sorry that I considered this method to try to reach him.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
I'd also like to mention that complaining publicly about someone you want to have build you a guitar might not be the best of ideas.
So true....
Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Sheppard View Post
... they don't come any better than Mike Doolin.
Mike is also a killer player

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop